• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Zumo 665 vs BMW Nav IV & Zumo 660

flemmings27

Dear List,

I know there are several threads on here about Garmin Zumo's, but has anyone done a comparison of or have direct experience with/know about the differences between the Garmin 665 and the BMW Nav IV? And how does the 660 compare to them?

Thanks in advance
Joyce:dunno

1. the 660 and the 665 have the same features, but for one. The 665 has XM radio capability and comes with the very pricey newest XM antenna. Ergo the price difference between the 660 and the 665.

2. The Nav IV is the 665 with a special cradle. Some like it, some don't, BUT you can pick a wired or BT headset with the 665, you can't wire a headset to the NAV IV, it's BT only.

That's about all I know, right for critical differences. I have the 660, a wired headset (as BT is useless above 68 mph or 6 hours on the road), and a 8 Gb SD card for music, POIs, routes, a few pics, and other data, and I love it. I have the traffic antenna on the bike, and an MSN antenna for the car, but will buy a car-only GPS when MSN exits the market in January 2012 (since another new traffic antenna will cost about 1/2 of the new car GPS).

I have the 660, a wired headset (as BT is useless above 68 mph or 6 hours on the road), and a 8 Gb SD card for music, POIs, routes, a few pics, and other data, and I love it.
Ditto, except for the Bluetooth comment.

I have the new Cardo G4 Bluetooth headset, and I was surprised by how close to a wired headset the volume and fidelity are. Definitely good up to at least 90+, the highest mph I've used the G4 at yet (in a controlled environment, of course ;)). And in daily commuting use (~2 hrs use/day) I get the better part of a week out of the battery -- considerably longer than the few hours of the first generation m/c Bluetooth units.

I have the Zumo 660 paired with the Scala G4, and found that the apparent volume is VERY sensitive to the placement of the G4 speakers in the helmet. For maximum volume the speakers need to be as close to your ears as possible, 1/2 inch off center makes a noticable difference.
As far as the "speed rating", with custom molded ear plugs in, I can hear music and GPS commands clearly up to 70MPH.

Back