• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

In over my head.. and loving it.

Paintless Repair

Some of us apparently find beauty in almost anything, especially including a 10-gallon Hoske --

I've never seen one up-close and personal, and have never looked inside, for sure, so I don't know whether this is a single-walled tank???

If the answer is YES, then -- given the beauty of the thing, I'd find a GOOD, very skilled paintless dent repair artist (yes, "artist" is the right word) who does a LOT of hail-damage repair -- and since you have hail where you are, you should be able to find the right guy by asking around, and the "right guy" will be honored to have such a task. (Simply check the Yellow Pages under "Hoske Tank Repair!")

The successful repair should result in a PERFECT job, and I'm talking about NO TRACE of creases, dents, etc., even when viewed in low-angle light (which is how they see to do the repair.)

Shouldn't cost you an arm and a leg, either. I know you're shy of funds, right now, but I wouldn't skimp on this job -- that tank is something special.

You seem to be moving this along very nicely, and this is a fun thread to follow, thanks to all you /2 people. . .

Regards,

Walking Eagle

This is what Scotchbrite does. Before/after:

267939_10150666116245191_576805190_19456947_4165271_n.jpg

I have a feeling I am going to leave some rust on this bike for the time being. Sorry? :ha

I installed a low sidecar handlebar, related cables, and removed the extra 1' of wiring.

268952_10150666116475191_576805190_19456958_2765219_n.jpg

I got titles for both of the bikes.. not using the $1500-route, either. :dance

wow!

The 7mm clutch system is not for the 1960 R50.. so maybe my pressure plate is a tad bit too tall.. and when the engine gets hot.. the clutch is inclined to easily release..
It does, but you have to have a 1/2 second of patience..
so the pressure plate??? is suspect..

am I guessing?:groovy

Jim, ketchikan.

Ok, now comes the "fun" part. Obtaining a title.

I bought them from a guy who got them from Oklahoma. He did a VIN/title search through OK and it came back clear.

I took this to the license bureau today while I was doing other business and just asked about the steps necessary to obtaining a title. I was told to go to the Circuit Court Clerk.

I called the Circiut Court Clerk, and the b*tch was absolutely unfriendly and unhelpful. All I got out of it was that I need a "declatory judgement." To get this, I'd need a lawyer. I called a lawyer, and he wants "$1000-$1500"!!!!

$1500 for a piece of paper? If that's the case, I'll just take the plate off my R90 and put it on the sidecar rig.

So, anyone here actually title a vehicle purchased without a title? Specifically, in Missouri?

In New Hampshire the process is essentially the same as in CA. Get a local policeman to complete and sign the form from the DOT that verifies you have a bill of sale and records the VIN (engine #) and then request the new title. Good luck! Avoid the lawyer. Check with the DOT/Title folks - try another person. And if the Cycle shop is no help, get hold of the local Vintage Auto club. They will know how to do it.

NH Lost Title process

In New Hampshire the process is essentially the same as in CA. Get a local policeman to complete and sign the form from the DOT that verifies you have a bill of sale and records the VIN (engine #) and then request the new title. Good luck! Avoid the lawyer. Check with the DOT/Title folks - try another person. And if the Cycle shop is no help, get hold of the local Vintage Auto club. They will know how to do it.

Thanks for the help, but let's just say I found the "easy" button. I now have titles for both of the /2s. :D

I have a 68 R69S that I purchased after grad school in '73. Starting to go through it end to end and have purchased Barrington Motor Works /2 Restoration manual. It's a great read and saves tons of time in uninstall-install. Pricey, but well worth it.

I have a 68 R69S that I purchased after grad school in '73. Starting to go through it end to end and have purchased Barrington Motor Works /2 Restoration manual. It's a great read and saves tons of time in uninstall-install. Pricey, but well worth it.

Definitely pricey ($117 after shipping), but definitely worth it. I also have the factory service manual ($35 plus shipping) and my brother found me a vintage Chilton manual at a book fair for ~$1.

Then, there are these: http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/2man/index.htm and http://bmwdean.com/1966-owners-manual.htm

Back