• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

In over my head.. and loving it.

had been wonderin' what the story was with this junk since i saw your pics on fb:laugh

what's the deal with the Cyrillic?

You got yourself a good amount of material to work with! And you got a lot of goodies to go with it. And you got everything all at once. I say that's a сумасшедше great deal! Congratulations on the great find!

IMO, the TR500 is the best looking sidecar rig of the period. And the VW conversion has to be the coolest period mod.

I will be looking forward to your work-in-progress posts...

--
Michael Stoic

IMO, the TR500 is the best looking sidecar rig of the period.

It's a toss up for me between:

TR500col.jpg

and:

s500col.jpg

But, I'm glad to have my TR500 copy! If only it had the cool light thing on the fender.

It's a toss up for me between:

TR500col.jpg

and:

s500col.jpg

But, I'm glad to have my TR500 copy! If only it had the cool light thing on the fender.

My heart is with the TR500, because that's what spoke to me the loudest when the time came to buy.

I just returned from 200 miles along the coast of New England, with my wife in the sidecar, and everywhere we went the people would mob. Turns out, showing up with one of these attached to a /2 really IS a big deal, ...if done right and handled well.

Anyway, if you've been to bluemoon website, you've seen that the thing you covet is the "cobra handle" with the light kit, harness, gaskets, etc.

I used to covet it too. Then I went to a show and parked my rig right next to a Zundapp with an S500 car (both in turquoise). Magnificent. The S500 had the cobra, as did several other Steibs in the show. I was as surprised as possible, but in person the cobra handles did not make an impression on me. Can't explain it; maybe it's the way they always get photographed vs how you see them in life.

Not trying to talk you out of it, just sharing my perception. Besides, you probably have a few things you could trade to get that cobra after all.

Curious whether your rig has the brake installed. It looks like you have the drum sized hub...

Ok, now comes the "fun" part. Obtaining a title.

I bought them from a guy who got them from Oklahoma. He did a VIN/title search through OK and it came back clear.

I took this to the license bureau today while I was doing other business and just asked about the steps necessary to obtaining a title. I was told to go to the Circuit Court Clerk.

I called the Circiut Court Clerk, and the b*tch was absolutely unfriendly and unhelpful. All I got out of it was that I need a "declatory judgement." To get this, I'd need a lawyer. I called a lawyer, and he wants "$1000-$1500"!!!!

$1500 for a piece of paper? If that's the case, I'll just take the plate off my R90 and put it on the sidecar rig.

So, anyone here actually title a vehicle purchased without a title? Specifically, in Missouri?

Check with Dave Clark at Forever Endeavor Motorcycles in Eureka.

http://www.abcbmw.com/

You might also want to get to know him. He cut his teeth on the /2 bikes and knows quite a bit about them. He did the slingers on my R69S.

Wow, in CA, it is easy. Not even expensive... Just do a bill of sale, fill out a lost pink slip form & get a cop to verify the VIN on the bike matches the paper... At least something is easy in CA...

Wow, in CA, it is easy. Not even expensive... Just do a bill of sale, fill out a lost pink slip form & get a cop to verify the VIN on the bike matches the paper... At least something is easy in CA...

Yeah, I assume it's something along those lines here.. but neither of the ladies seemed willing to help. Makes you wonder why such unpleasant people are the public face of the organization..

Yeah, I assume it's something along those lines here.. but neither of the ladies seemed willing to help. Makes you wonder why such unpleasant people are the public face of the organization..

Alright, then, just send that V-dub powered rig out to me here, I'll take care of it, keep it a year & then sell it to you there for a dollar! My wife says I tire of projects after a year, so the timing should be perfect!

So, I bought some WD40 and scotchbrite today.

Little dab here, little spray there, rub, rub. Hey, these cheesy ape hangers sure are cleaning up..

Eh, screw it. Sprayed the whole bike down with WD40.

Ok, I must be an idiot. I can't get the locking gas cap off the sport tank (VW rig) and I can't get the key out of the sidecar rig (I got it stuck half in, half out.)

OK, I've got a cap somewhat similar to that on my R25/2. My key turns 90 CCW to get to the unlocked position. Not much help, but that's something to consider.

Back to those cheezy ape-hangars (and just about every other metal part), 3M makes skotch brite abrasive wheels in different degrees of coarsness that fit right on a bench grinder. Rust just about jumps off the piece with a minimum of elbow grease.

These can really be your friend.

Back