Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: In over my head.. and loving it.

Quote Originally Posted by JStrube View Post
    Wow, in CA, it is easy. Not even expensive... Just do a bill of sale, fill out a lost pink slip form & get a cop to verify the VIN on the bike matches the paper... At least something is easy in CA...
    Yeah, I assume it's something along those lines here.. but neither of the ladies seemed willing to help. Makes you wonder why such unpleasant people are the public face of the organization..

Quote Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
    Yeah, I assume it's something along those lines here.. but neither of the ladies seemed willing to help. Makes you wonder why such unpleasant people are the public face of the organization..
    Alright, then, just send that V-dub powered rig out to me here, I'll take care of it, keep it a year & then sell it to you there for a dollar! My wife says I tire of projects after a year, so the timing should be perfect!

If there was a cheap way to do that, I'd have no problem..

So, I bought some WD40 and scotchbrite today.

Little dab here, little spray there, rub, rub. Hey, these cheesy ape hangers sure are cleaning up..

Eh, screw it. Sprayed the whole bike down with WD40.

Ok, I must be an idiot. I can't get the locking gas cap off the sport tank (VW rig) and I can't get the key out of the sidecar rig (I got it stuck half in, half out.)

Any pics of the sport tank? What kind of cap is it?
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Any pics of the sport tank? What kind of cap is it?

OK, I've got a cap somewhat similar to that on my R25/2. My key turns 90 CCW to get to the unlocked position. Not much help, but that's something to consider.
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Yeah, I can turn the key to a click, but I can't turn the gas cap in any direction that releases it. I can spin it all the way around. Hmm.

Back to those cheezy ape-hangars (and just about every other metal part), 3M makes skotch brite abrasive wheels in different degrees of coarsness that fit right on a bench grinder. Rust just about jumps off the piece with a minimum of elbow grease.

These can really be your friend.

Good thinkin'.

I've got a couple bench grinders anyway, and a polishing station to add to my grinding station would be quite useful.

$1500 for a piece of paper? If that's the case, I'll just take the plate off my R90 and put it on the sidecar rig.

So, anyone here actually title a vehicle purchased without a title? Specifically, in Missouri?[/QUOTE]

In Alabama no vehicle registered in 1974 or earlier had a title. All we need here to register an antique bike is a bill of sale. I had a 61 BSA that I bought in Iowa and even though it had a title they didn't want to see it as it was built before 74. I can't imagine why it's such a hassle. Just tell them it came from a state with no title required.
    Jim Dubick
    Boaz, Alabama
    R1200RT,R1100GS,KLX250
    BMW MOA, BMW MOALABAMA

Quote Originally Posted by jdubick View Post
    $1500 for a piece of paper? If that's the case, I'll just take the plate off my R90 and put it on the sidecar rig.

So, anyone here actually title a vehicle purchased without a title? Specifically, in Missouri?
    In Alabama no vehicle registered in 1974 or earlier had a title. All we need here to register an antique bike is a bill of sale. I had a 61 BSA that I bought in Iowa and even though it had a title they didn't want to see it as it was built before 74. I can't imagine why it's such a hassle. Just tell them it came from a state with no title required.
    Do they then issue you a title?

If so, do you want to be my new best friend and buy 2 vintage bikes and sell them to me for the cost of your troubles?

I think I'll keep updates on the sidecar rig to this thread, and start a thread about the conversion bike later. The sidecar rig is my primary focus. I'll request to keep it in vintage because I will be working on the bike primarily, as the sidecar itself is sound.

Today, all my homework's turned in and nothing pertinent lingers. Well, a test on Tuesday.. but anyway. I decided to do some exploratory scotchbrite/WD40-ing.

It's a shame the ol' girl's got so much surface rust. The metal seems solid everywhere.

Ok, I got it to go back down today, but it still won't come out.

Inside the tank toolbox, there's even good paint. (Sorry for any blurry pics, they looked better on my camera.)

The inside of the tank looks damn near perfect.

The seat, too.

I'm surprised this doesn't say "R60/2," but then again, I know nothing about these.

I guess a fuel line goes across these to equalize reserve?

Gotta love cool little details.

I got the air-cleaner choke(?) piece free'd up. Additionally, someone used sealant on the gasket.

Is this a special side-stand? Looks kinda cheesy.

This is kind-of a bummer. At least it's mostly the valve cover, but.. it looks fresh. Neither the position on my trailer, or the trailer of the guy I bought it from, would have caused it. Hmm. Anyone got a spare /2 valve cover they don't want?

Metal probably shouldn't be green.

Pleased to hear solid thuds everywhere I tapped on the sidecar bottom. Someone brushed on a tar bedliner-like stuff. Thanks, whoever you are!

Ball-joints. (What's it about tear-drop shaped cooling fins? I can't remember.)

"Yeah, it's safe.."

Can't wait to hook these back up.

I was pleased to see they're lights on the fender, not just reflectors.

What's this? It has a spring loaded flip cap, and a wire coming out.

Last edited by crazydrummerdude; 10-30-2010 at 03:23 AM.

I tried to polish a BMW logo, in case the badges all fell off. I got my angle wrong.

Well, expect crappy, infrequent updates like this until I get a break from school.

Speaking of which; I never thought I'd see the day where I turn in an application for graduation. I did so today.

Nathan -

More to keep you busy...

Steering name plate -- I don't think they said "R60/2", etc. Just the R60...

Fuel line -- yeah, there's a fuel line that needs to connect across. You get to take a "gas bath" whenever you need to remove the tank. I've gotten pretty good at pulling the line and capping the end with some rubber plugs, but I still smell like gas for a while.

Sidestand -- looks like it's a Flanders; I never really like the looks of these things. The stock sidestands on the /2s were not that good anyway...I just use my centerstand all the time.

http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/flanders/index.htm

Cylinder fins -- I'm pretty sure that if the cylinder fins come to a point in front and behind, that's an R50 or R50/2. Rounded is everything else.