• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K1100LT Rear Brake

kgadley01

Hi all, about 1 month ago I purchased a 1993 K1100Lt w/45,000 miles on it. yesterday while on a ride the rear brakes locked up. I loosened the bleeder to release the pressure and rode home. today I back bled from the bleeder on the caliper to the bleeder on top of the ABS unit. I went for a ride and the rear brakes tried to lock up again. I had to loosen the bleeder to get home again. What am I missing or doing wrong. Please help...

Last edited:
Either the linkage has been set up so that fluid can not return to the master cyilnder via the vent port, or the vent port is closed from corrosion. Start by seeing whether the brake pedal has a little free play.

the pedal has free play, and it will pump up. I just don't understand why its trying to lock up...

The master cylinder pumps fluid to the wheel cylinder. But if the return orifice (little hole in the master cylinder) is plugged the fluid doesn't all flow back to the master cylinder when you get off the brakes. So they drag a little. And get hot. And the trapped fluid expands. And the drag gets worse. And they get hotter. And more drag, and more heat until they lock up.

You may need to removed the master cylinder, remove the little grub screw in the side, and remove the piston. At this point you can judge the corrosion, clean things up, and blow any debris out of the hole with compressed air.

The other possibility not yet mentioned is that new pads were installed and the reservoir is so full that the fluid has no place to go. Check that first.

If the bike has older rubber hoses on it-I have seen the internals of the rubber in hoses get so weak/bad that the rubber has collapsed. The collapse expands with the pressure-push of the pedal-but as there is no real pressure on the return trip the collapse effectively becomes a one way check valve. Sort of difficult to check-it's a time/ patience thing. HTH Gary

If the bike has older rubber hoses on it-I have seen the internals of the rubber in hoses get so weak/bad that the rubber has collapsed. The collapse expands with the pressure-push of the pedal-but as there is no real pressure on the return trip the collapse effectively becomes a one way check valve. Sort of difficult to check-it's a time/ patience thing. HTH Gary

I had this happen on a GMC pickup. Stopped up master cylinder also.

Ralph Sims

Back