• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Close Calls

akbeemer

SURVIVOR
For pics of "almost" tragedies.....

No injuries, Montana, fell asleep......

image004.jpg

image003.jpg

image002.jpg

image005.jpg

amazing that noone was hurt. Makes one question the thinking that went into the design of the rail. I thought that those things were to prevent one from greater disaster on the other side of the rail. Instead the rail itself becomes the real culprit. I think that many places have moved toward a design that prevents impailing the motorist. I wonder what was going on in that driver's mind as all that metal was cascading across the passenger side. Talk about "Jesus Take The Wheel"! - Bob

I think he was a college kid heading to school. Must have been an interesting conversation with Mom and Dad after they were sure he was uninjured.

Bastards.jpgMoving at a "spirited" pace & leading a FGIF ride, when these tick infested critters darted out in front of me. Godzilla will get them for that...I'm sure.

Roadblocked !

Riding up a dead-end road in Sequoia NP, I had to brake hard to avoid these.

There was a fire to the North and cattle were being moved down the mountain to safety.

When first stopped only about 5 or 6 cows were spread across the road, by the time the photo was snapped the rest of em came from behind and tried to leap-cow the ones stopped in front.

I turned and rolled down hill off to the side to get a better photo when 2 dogs leapt out of the brush at me. 2 cowboys called em off, then told me that they were moving the cattle a short distance on pavement to get to the trail that I was now blocking.

The dogs had put me into adrenalin overload, and I didn't stick around to get a better photo.

Bill

Attachments

• IMG_0898.jpg
    IMG_0898.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 196
Makes one question the thinking that went into the design of the rail. Bob

That was the first thing that came to my mind.

We recently had a near collision at a cloverleaf just west of our home city, and I later researched the design and discovered it's one of the most dangerous types that exists. The merge lanes are just a few hundred metres long.

That was the first thing that came to my mind.

We recently had a near collision at a cloverleaf just west of our home city, and I later researched the design and discovered it's one of the most dangerous types that exists. The merge lanes are just a few hundred metres long.

I really dislike those short merge lanes. Even worse are the shared lanes for on ramps and off ramps. What were those highway engineers thinking?

I really dislike those short merge lanes. Even worse are the shared lanes for on ramps and off ramps. What were those highway engineers thinking?

Merging lanes are always a problem no matter how long they are. Maybe the extra short ones were the bureaucrats trying to save money.

Merging lanes are always a problem no matter how long they are. Maybe the extra short ones were the bureaucrats trying to save money.

Merging lanes have become a much greater problem since as a society we stopped really training people how to drive. Many drivers simply don't know how to properly merge. Matching speeds and blending in works. Subbornly maintaining speed and line and stopping fail to work most of the time.

Merging lanes have become a much greater problem since as a society we stopped really training people how to drive. Many drivers simply don't know how to properly merge. Matching speeds and blending in works. Subbornly maintaining speed and line and stopping fail to work most of the time.

It might be interesting to actually take a drivers ed course and see what is being shown to the kids today.

It might be interesting to actually take a drivers ed course and see what is being shown to the kids today.

When Drivers Ed stopped being a required or highly recommended elective course in most (not all) public high schools, it was left to the fairly high priced private driving schools to teach the masses. But in all but the most urban of areas such driving schools appear to be few and far between, and for the most part out of the price range of many middle class parents. So drivers ed is now often Mom, Dad, or good old uncle Al doing the best they can.

I rarely see merging traffic even think about yielding to the collective flow. "I'm coming in, make room" seems to be the new normal.

Austins downtown lower deck of I-35 near UT has some of the shortest merge lanes I have ever attempted and the scene of many a bent fender. I'll drive on the service road for several miles to avoid the challenge provided with a 1958 designed roadway with no room for any upgrading.

Yeah, no training provided typically anymore...we at least got to scare the pants of our high school drivers ed teachers.:evil

In the past three days I've ridden through Billings, Sioux Falls (morning rush hours), Kansas City, St Louis (morning rush hours) and Nashville. Merging is now viewed as a test of wills. Also started seeing big rigs acting as passing lane patrols. I'm headed to Birmingham for the Barber Vintage Days and have limited time to make the trip, so I'm sticking to the interstates. Sleeping in tomorrow so I miss the Birmingham rush hour. Crossing the Mississippi is always a disappointing event.

Whoa... Birmingham has a rush hour!? A little busy maybe, but compared to major metro areas like KC & St L... not so much. Kevin; last years 10th at Barber had a very good value of full event admission by joining the "out of state" members Club. That desk was behind the primary ticket area inside the Museum entry foyer. It included breakfast each morning, lunch each day, a lounge with A/C and refreshments/snacks each afternoon... all included along with parking, unlimited Museum admission & not so much more than "regular" Vintage admission.
Even discounts in the retail shop. Enjoy the show; and keep in mind... you can't acquire the IBA's USA National Parks Master Traveler Tour Award
WITHOUT crossing that big river... plus,
we got this place called West Virginia!

"travel'n" john

I rarely see merging traffic even think about yielding to the collective flow. "I'm coming in, make room" seems to be the new normal.

Not to long ago I had a guy in a 1/2 ton pickup pulling a bass boat try to crowd me out as he tried to get on the NY Turnpike from a rest stop. There was just no where for me to go as I was boxed in front, back and to the left. Didn't think a panic stop was in my best interest in that traffic and since I was in a 37' pusher with a 32' trailer that weighted in at 16,000 pounds. Unfortunately Mr Fisherman ended up in the rhubarb. No thinking involved in that one.

Back