• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Last Friday at Bonneville

mpmarty

I'm impressed!:lurk

Attachments

• S100RR salt flats run.jpg
    S100RR salt flats run.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 553
Last edited by a moderator:
I'll bet goin' that fast where the only real worries is staying up-right is a blast. :burnout Gary

Bonneville is a kick. I was able to top out my TW200 on the salt at 74 MPH. I was on my way from the starting line back to the bend in the road, but I had it pinned & tucked! Lots of fun camping out there too.

Does anyone know what is required to run Bonneville? It's something I would like to do in the not to distant future.

How about pics and a description of the bike and it's mechanicals?

this is what's missing from our coverage of the S1000RR. there are a ton of cool technical things going on with the tuning of this bike and no one is writing about it. here, anyway.

ian

I'm impressed with the 13% humidity, sure wish we had that here in the south!
One more thing, that time slip must be bogus, it's from a car not a motorcycle. It says "Car # 1965" towards the top of the sheet. Sheesh, who are they trying to kid! :clap :clap

One more thing, that time slip must be bogus, it's from a car not a motorcycle. It says "Car # 1965" towards the top of the sheet.

it also says Andy Sills at the top of the sheet, and he is the guy who's been riding BMWs for speed records @ Bonneville.

bonneville.jpg

Does anyone know what is required to run Bonneville? It's something I would like to do in the not to distant future.

Check out www.speedtrialsbybub.com for 2013. There is a ton of info there. You need a valid drivers licence and you need to be a competiton member if the AMA. The fee is about $500-600. I was there in 2010 with an Aermacchi 250. I broke the record twice on the down run so I got 2 return runs and had minor mechanical failures on the return runs. Still after averaging the down and return runs I came within .6 MPH of setting a record. Fastest speed was 83.325 MPH. I will be back next chance I get.

In 2010 a young lady set a record of 43 MPH on a 50cc Honda band an older guy nabbed a record with a box stock 1973 Honda 350/4. His speed?--- 73 MPH. These folks probably have more fun than the big budget operations and they have an intiguing quality to them.

San Jose BMW was there with a 750 airhead that went 134 MPH. Its hard to get speed out of the airheads because the inlet tract does about a 150 degree bend. Ideally, you want the inlet tract as close to parallel with the inlet valve as possible. The gas/air charge need the straightest possible run into the combustion chamber. The fact that the airheads exhaust does a 180 degree bend is a problem too. Normally a hot exhaust charge will expand (hence megaphones) and the expansion creates a slight vacuum which pulls the next exhaust charge out. These factors limit RPM and no amount of grinding in the ports will change that so I've been told. The changes to the latest version of the boxer engine are designed to address this basic problem.

As for riding on the salt, the basic rule is to gather speed steadily and don't do anything suddenly. They will tell you if there are soft spots or where a paricularily good line is. The salt can be a bit slippery. Guys hitting the nitrous oxide button on a Hayabusa at 150 MPH may get some seriously bad tire spin.

As only one bike is allowed on the track at a time, you do a lot of waiting on the first couple of days. Stay hydrated and in the shade. Have 1 person to help you going through the staging areas- Maybe get a cooling vest. And best of all, walk around and talk to anyone not furiously engaged in bike repairs, unless you are actually capable of helping. Most of them will be there next year. PS Check out the Bonneville videos on Youtube. Look for the Budfab 50 and 125 cc streamliner. It holds records of 139 and 185 MPH respectively.

If your interested in some general information & pics I did a ride report on ADVrider. 2012BUB

Just do a forum search

I sure had a fun time being there, would have been most excellent to race

Navi

Back