• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Garmin 665 /GXM40 issue

dbaliko

Two weeks ago I bought a new Garmin 665 to use on my RT. I hard wired the power to my Centech fuse panel and the Garmin unit always works and charges without issue. The problem that I'm having is with the GXM40 antenna. From the start 25% or so of the time I would get "Check XM Antenna" when I pushed the music button after startup. After fiddling with the connection under the seat most, but not all of the time I could turn the unit off and then back on and I would get XM music and weather alerts as normal. I was trying to figure out what would cause such an intermittent problem?
At first I thought that it could be a power related issue. I tried turning off my auxiliary lights and making sure everything was off when I first started the bike. But I still got the random message "check XM antenna" about the same 25% of the time. Sometimes when riding I could turn off the unit and turn it back on and it would work. Finally on my way home from Colorado yesterday, after using XM for 3-4 hours without issue I stopped for lunch. After that I could not get it to work at all. For 400 miles I tried turning the unit off and on and it would always say "check XM antenna". I finally gave up.
I'm thinking that the GXM 40 antenna must be bad? Or wiring it through the Centech fuse panel is the problem? Any ideas?

Doug

Get yourself some good contact cleaner like Caig's DeOxit and treat the pin connections in the cradle every couple of months. Yeah, I know it's a new unit, but what you experienced has also been my reality since Garmin went to those spring loaded pins with the Zumo series. Also treat the USB cable connections and audio connection periodically.

P.S. Having to clean new connectors is not unusual. I repair electronic equipment for a living.

i have a 1150rt and have a 665 with XM. Mine works fine so i bet its an issue with the antenna. i know they are expensive but bet this is the issue. one recommendation if its out of warranty, order a new one from Garmin and if it does not fix the issue to return it.

The new GXM 40 antenna that Garmin sent me seems to be working fine (so far!). So far no need to use the new wiring harness. We'll see how it goes. Hopefully the problem is resolved.

Doug

Back