• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sidecase Security and Owner ID Strategies

I must be missing something

Is this just an R bike problem?

With my K bikes I do lock the clasp that attaches the bag to the frame, not to prevent theft since getting them on and off is hard enough for me, but to ensure they will stay in place if I crash and maybe the bike won't crush me.

I have on occasion forgotten to ensure the other two clasps were in place (really dumb, and thanks to those pointing cage drivers I never lost anything.) Since I only carry clothes and camping gear in these bags on longer trips, I never lock them. My reasoning is most thieves don't want what I carry there and, if they do, I would rather they took it than ruined the clasps on my bags and also stole my stuff.

Again, what am I missing?

Is this just an R bike problem?

With my K bikes I do lock the clasp that attaches the bag to the frame, not to prevent theft since getting them on and off is hard enough for me, but to ensure they will stay in place if I crash and maybe the bike won't crush me.
I have on occasion forgotten to ensure the other two clasps were in place (really dumb, and thanks to those pointing cage drivers I never lost anything.) Since I only carry clothes and camping gear in these bags on longer trips, I never lock them. My reasoning is most thieves don't want what I carry there and, if they do, I would rather they took it than ruined the clasps on my bags and also stole my stuff.

Again, what am I missing?

Although our K1100LT is now 18 years old, I thought that the lock would be fine holding the bag IN while the weight therein would keep it from vibrating up. Wrong. Lost (but now found) the darn thing on a bumpy section of Maine road. Now I will label, bolt down, bungee, strap, whatever to ensure that they can be identiified and will stay where they are most useful to me. Although I have found that very few folks tamper with a bike, I do think that keeping it all unlocked only invites punk kids to open them (after all they are intrinsically lazy and impatient). The same way that they move about checking car and house doors. At night the inner bags comes with me and I do leave them unlocked then (locked to frame though). - Bob

Wing-Bolt Mod

A PO of my R75/6 made a simple mod to keep the Krausers from going AWOL. A captive nut was attached to the top-forward corner of the rack. A corresponding hole was drilled in the case and a wing-bolt with a rubber washer holds the case to the rack.

I'll post pictures if there is interest.

This mod does not keep the door from opening, so I'm looking for a method other than straps to keep my stuff safe.

Golf Club ID Labels

I just ordered some labels from these folks, GolfLabels.com.

These are labels designed to be attached to the shaft of golf clubs; be exposed to the weather; and, stand-up to abuse such as when a club is thrown at a tree by a frustrated Tiger wanna be (I have no personal experience in such behavior, but I met a guy who saw a guy do it once).

Cost $9.50 for 20 or $18.00 for 40 labels. Shipping is a universal $2.00. At that price it is reasonable to replace the labels if they are showing signs of wear and tear.

These are labels designed to be attached to the shaft of golf clubs; be exposed to the weather; and, stand-up to abuse such as when a club is thrown at a tree by a frustrated Tiger wanna be (I have no personal experience in such behavior, but I met a guy who saw a guy do it once).

Cost $9.50 for 20 or $18.00 for 40 labels. Shipping is a universal $2.00. At that price it is reasonable to replace the labels if they are showing signs of wear and tear.

Post pics when they arrive. Sounds like a good way to ensure that they stay attached. As well, I still like your earlier idea about a BMWMOA central registry and 800# regarding lost articles, which can be put on the tags as well. - Bob

Here's what they look like. Available in a variety of colors; printed on metallic film; coated in vinyl; I'm guessing they will last a couple of years at least.

P1310068.jpg

Security and CONTEGO

Like Ted, I place a business card with my name and phone number (and the word REWARD) on the back, inside of my cases - then smother it with clear packing tape. Lasts for years.

Should a bag ever go AWOL, I at least stand a chance of getting it back.

Another issue the original poster brought up was that of security. Let me relate to you one of my adventures.

While on some MSF training in Madision, WI this past October, I got out to the R1200RT early one very, very cold morning and the latch mechanism that locks the side case shut broke (something plastic, I suspect). Now, I have a pannier that will stay on the bike, but will not stay closed.

Solution? Always have with you a wide roll of blue painter's tape (a recently published Touring Tip by the way). You can wrap it numerous times around at least two locations on the side case, and it will keep it shut throughout the day.

When you need what's inside come evening, just unwrap the tape - it doesn't damage or leave behind any residue on the paint finiish.

Next day - more tape, and you're on your way.

Cost of repairing the sidecase: $263 at my BMW dealer. Thank goodness again for my Contego Extended Warranty, in effect thru February of 2014.

So far, at an original investment of $599, it has replaced a transmission seal ($250), a final drive ($2,000+) and now paid for the side case repair ($263). Even when you factor in the mandatory $50 deductible per incident, it's been a bargain! :deal

Last edited:
Back