• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Where to ride in the Ozarks?

roborider

God? What god?
I am going to be riding from Tulsa to Memphis and would like to ride through the Ozarks. Can anyone suggest any good roads that would lead me in the Memphis direction. Looking for scenery and twisties if I can.

Thanks,
Rob

I've made that ride a dozen times, taking a different route every time. Seriously, just about every road in the Ozarks is sweet. If you have time, you could even take U.S. 160 across southern MO before heading south to Memphis. Crack open a map and pick a route, any route. U.S 412 east out of Tulsa kinda cuts through the heart of the Ozarks in AR. Take that route, or bail off to the south on one of many fine roads getting you towards Memphis. My only specific suggestion is to stay in northern AR as long as possible to the east before pointing the front tire south. The riding roads tends to be finer the upper 1/3 of AR.

this is from Dancin' Dave's Mileage Slaves site... keep clicking on the map images until you get to the detailed maps...

i can recommend us 160 along the southern side of missouri... it's rough in a number of spots and goes through some *very* rural areas.

the north/south routed in arkansas are better, they'll take you down to I-40.

Overview.jpg

ian

You guys are a fantastic source! We are ahead of schedule and may have an extra day in the Ozarks to play around and I'll report back.

Today, my buddy Doug taught me how he dries his clothes in the microwave. I used to use the hair drier. I guess I don't have the technique down as I just set my socks on fire and had to run with them burning to the bathroom sink. If I set off the smoke detector, will the hotel believe I wasn't smoking but rather just burning socks? One pair of nice Alpinestars goes to the trash!

I'll share a secret about the Ozarks

In that part of the world just about any road is a good to great motorcycle road. I have found some of the best riding just by making turns when it seemed right. A Gazeteer is a great buy and you will find some road that you haven't heard of that is great.

Hey...

Can't comment on the Ozarks... but if you don't ride state highway 82 from Stigler, OK to Talihina OK then ride state highway 1 to Mena Arkansas... then you are wasting your time in Oklahoma... and missing a lotta fantastic road...

but hey i'm an OKIE.... and only really know about Oklahoma roads...

But if you want to say you rode some in Oklahoma... it might be worth your time to head a little south... before heading to the Ozarks... that way the "notch" in your belt will mean something...

Anyway... have a good time and post a report...

Peter in OKC, OK

We had a good day in the Ozarks. The roads are sweepy and scenic, but not super tight twisty like the Smokies. But good roads and good views. The town of Eureka Springs was quite interesting and historic.

Our mileage was held to about 230 miles (we have been averaging over 400) due to my buddy getting a flat tire. We got to a gas station and used our plug kit to fix it and got back on the road.

I have about 4700 miles on the Pilot Road 2s and they will make it to the end of this trip at about 6000 miles, but that's it. They will be shot by then. Still, it was a good tire for this trip.

LOW mileage for PR2's

That is very low mileage for PR2's. What air pressure were you using?

Find Oark, Arkansas:)

You find this tadpole of a burb and you've found the Ozark's oldest and the states oldest continually run general store and grill:), in way over a 100 years. I happen to find it, through some good advice from locals. Its paved in there and mostly dirt leaving "Oark", West to East direction. A cool Ozark place. GSA1200 came in handy. Worth finding "Oark", Arkansas:). My California plate was way out of place here, as I toured the USA...Randy

I run 35 psi front, 44 rear. I chew up tires like mad, only getting about 2500 out of a set of Z6s. We ride VERY aggressively.

The roads are sweepy and scenic, but not super tight twisty like the Smokies.

Evidently you didn't hit the good roads. I've lived in both Tennessee and Arkansas. I prefer riding Arkansas...not as much traffic and you're not riding bumper to bumper through the mountains. :)

If your coming out of Tulsa, Ok. headin to Memphis. I suggest you pick up Highway 16 at Siloam Springs. I call it Sweet 16. It winds all around the Ozarks and you'll meet yourself coming and going. It will eventually dump you out in Searcy, Ar.. Then it gets kinda boring on 64 on into Memphis.

Evidently you didn't hit the good roads. I've lived in both Tennessee and Arkansas. I prefer riding Arkansas...not as much traffic and you're not riding bumper to bumper through the mountains. :)

That's what I was thinking, too! I just rode across AR over Thanksgiving taking Hwy 16, 23, 7, 35, and a few others, and several times I met myself. It was a blast!

Tom

Got to thinking about good roads in the Ozarks. Arkansas DOT maintains 12 welcome centers on the interstate systems that inter the state snd some of the major US highways. They have Arkansas maps that they give away free. The legend has scenic hyways listed in in yellow and byways in blue. National scenic byways are shown in green dots and state scenic byways in red dots. Most of the Ozark and Ouachita roads have some form of color code. Lots of good riding in both areas. Arkansas welcome centers also have a nice brochure dedicaded just to motorcycle riders. It's titled LET'S RIDE Motorcycle Adventures in Arkansas. They list 8 seperate rides, with hightlighted stops. Another one is titled Motorcycle Riding Guide of the Ozarks. It has 6 seperate maps listed for the area. U can try this web site. www.MotorcycleArkansas.com The Ozark Moonshine Run looks awful tasty.

Back