• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Fuel Filter Mod

Mirider

Jerry Emhoff
I'm doing the fuel filter modification as shown on the ibmwr site. The problem I'm having is that the filter is to big and interferes with putting the side cover back on on my 1996 R1100rt. Has anyone else had this problem? I used the double hose clamps and mounted it under the TB air intake as in the one picture but it sticks out and hits my side cover.

Because of the potential interference issues, and replacing the filter would still require removal of the sidepanel (not a big deal but still tedious), my fuel filter now sits on top of the air filter lid. Two small pop rivets hold a C-shaped spring clamp forward of the sensor there; the filter just snaps in and out.

Fuel Injection Clamps

Would not have thought to put it there, also. But I think I would change the hose clamps to fuel injection clamps.

Here's how I approached it.

I had some concern about the filter vibrating against the frame, so I jacketed it with a strip of old inner tube. The zip tie just holds the jacket in place. The fuel line is stiff enough that it keeps the filter in position. I've been running it this way since last spring - a few thousand miles.

Attachments

• fuel-filter.jpg
    fuel-filter.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 627
My filter is for a fuel-injected car, and has the wider formed (swaged?) nipples on each end - so the ordinary hose clamps work fine. Zero issues for over four years now.

What model filter?

My filter is for a fuel-injected car, and has the wider formed (swaged?) nipples on each end - so the ordinary hose clamps work fine. Zero issues for over four years now.

Hey, Paul what brand/model filter did you use, if you recall? I am thinking of making the mod and standard clamps are so much easier....

Filter Part Number

My filter is a WIX # 33032. SKU # is 7 65809 33032 0. Another silk-screened number directly on the filter is 072806K2. It came with F/I clamps in the box.

From the verbiage on the box: "WIX, the #1 filter in NASCAR... the #1 filter for your car, truck, or SUV." Forgive the blasphemy...
When I went to the auto parts store, I asked for a general-purpose filter for a fuel-injected car, that fit a variety of cars. Of course the first question was "What kind of car is it for?" So I explained that this was not for a car, but an application where I was revising another system and needed a high-capacity injection-rated filter that was in use in many vehicles and would be easy to replace in the future. He brought out a couple and I picked this one.
From the WIX application site, this filter is applicable to Everything from a Morris Minor and a Honda Civic all the way up thru a Dodge 440 pickup truck and police cruiser, so I have no doubt that it will suffice for an 1130 cc engine, and be easy to find a replacement for. I'll probably never need to change it, unless it gets contaminated with something other than gas.
I don't know the part number for the clip; the filter has an outside diameter of about 1 & 13/16 inches. The duct tape prevents metal to metal scraping and increases the friction; don't know if this is necessary but it seemed like a good idea.

Attachments

• P9140003.jpg
    P9140003.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 560
Last edited:
Thank you, Paul

My filter is a WIX # 33032. SKU # is 7 65809 33032 0. Another silk-screened number directly on the filter is 072806K2. It came with F/I clamps in the box.

From the verbiage on the box: "WIX, the #1 filter in NASCAR... the #1 filter for your car, truck, or SUV." Forgive the blasphemy...
When I went to the auto parts store, I asked for a general-purpose filter for a fuel-injected car, that fit a variety of cars. Of course the first question was "What kind of car is it for?" So I explained that this was not for a car, but an application where I was revising another system and needed a high-capacity injection-rated filter that was in use in many vehicles and would be easy to replace in the future. He brought out a couple and I picked this one.
From the WIX application site, this filter is applicable to Everything from a Morris Minor and a Honda Civic all the way up thru a Dodge 440 pickup truck and police cruiser, so I have no doubt that it will suffice for an 1130 cc engine, and be easy to find a replacement for. I'll probably never need to change it, unless it gets contaminated with something other than gas.
I don't know the part number for the clip; the filter has an outside diameter of about 1 & 13/16 inches. The duct tape prevents metal to metal scraping and increases the friction; don't know if this is necessary but it seemed like a good idea.

Thank you, Paul for a very thorough response.:clap

Eduardo

So I was just thinking of doing this, too, on my R11RS but those same instructions say to get a new O-ring for the pump. But when I look at the fische, I don't see the O-ring.

????

Thanks,
phil

So I was just thinking of doing this, too, on my R11RS but those same instructions say to get a new O-ring for the pump. But when I look at the fische, I don't see the O-ring.

????

Thanks,
phil

O-ring is for the fuel tank interior access panel. Don't attempt to use the old ring and use caution, the retaining studs are small and will twist off easily if over torqued.

Bokrijder

When I went to the auto parts store, I asked for a general-purpose filter for a fuel-injected car, that fit a variety of cars. Of course the first question was "What kind of car is it for?" So I explained that ...

Drives me crazy that the majority of people at (put your store name here _______) can't even think anymore. You take in a fan belt and they don't know how to even match it up or measure it, gotta use the computer. But it sure is refreshing when you do finally find a gem that does know their craft. :thumb

Drives me crazy that the majority of people at (put your store name here _______) can't even think anymore. You take in a fan belt and they don't know how to even match it up or measure it, gotta use the computer. But it sure is refreshing when you do finally find a gem that does know their craft. :thumb

That's part of the story. The rest of the story is that those belts are not hanging on the rack in back like they used to at the Standard Oil station or the lawnmower shop. They are in packages - several of which would need to be opened to find the right one.

And the 7 people behind me at the counter are never happy when the guy disappears into the back scrounging through boxes off the top shelf.

I don't think they are dummies. But merchandising is not the same today as it was in Gradpa's day.

AND, they have to look them up on a computer that asks the same question they passed on to you, AND then as Paul says...

My favorite auto store (Peerless) is not one of the common chains... the main two guys there actually know how to turn a wrench.
I also went there to get a section of flexible radiator hose - to replace the rotted section of pipe below the kitchen sink, between the garbage disposer and the drain! Figured it would be cool to isolate the extreme vibration from the rest of the system. Worked great. (Dayco # M36 by the way)
They also provided replacement electrical connector innards, intended for an RV, when I rebuilt a harness section on a neighbor's Yamaha XV-920; apparently the connector between the alternator output & the regulator input is a known burn-it-up point.
Kudos to them for having intelligent people instead of drones or high-school drop-outs.
:usa

Back