• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Random mumblings around the fire.

Have you noticed people putting memorials to a departed love one on their vehicles? Generally done in stick-on lettering on the rear window, e.g., "In Loving memory of John Doe" Seems odd to me, but they are becoming common. Maybe just an Alaskan thing.

Have you noticed people putting memorials to a departed love one on their vehicles? Generally done in stick-on lettering on the rear window, e.g., "In Loving memory of John Doe" Seems odd to me, but they are becoming common. Maybe just an Alaskan thing.

Nope, not just in Alaska. They've been doing it here for a couple of years. I for one wouldn't do it.

Many people (all ages) around here write messages on their car windows. Always thought it strange then decided they were updating relatives and friends flying over.

Have you noticed people putting memorials to a departed love one on their vehicles?
I just saw one yesterday for the first time. Thought it was limited to that one pick up. Thanks to this forum for enlightening me :laugh

I love this time of year. Not only is the weather perfect when you're huddled around the campfire, throw in bonus/raises and it keeps getting better. :clap

Rob.....you're killing me, man! What I would give...................

Mumblemumblemumblegrumble.

Will "Courageous" be there?

Yup.

I have to say that was an incredible day of sailing.

I was chatting with a friend who works for BMW Oracle Racing about the fact that last week they announced the next America's Cup will be in catamarans with wing sails and today I was match racing US 17 against US 6, two boats that were built in the 30's.

This is vintage racing at it's finest, two relatively even yachts with amateur crews with a few professionals responsible for safety and the care of two almost 70 year old boats. Part of the rules is the helmsman, tactician and navigator (the "afterguard) must be Cat 1 sailors (amateurs) so in addtion to being one of two mainsail trimmers I was also the tactician / navigator.

Wind was out of the west 15kts with gusts of 25+ and 25 degree shifts. Befor the start US 6 was trying to get us to agree to no spinnakers, we declined to commit. :whistle needless to say at the windward mark we both put up our kites. For the start of the second race the wind was well above the upper limit used during the Americas Cup races.

Ted Turner and Gary Jobsen were there on American Eagle, Courageous is sailing and is leading her class. They have the boats devided into classes based on age, Grand Prix, Modern, Classic and Vintage.

We won the first race, Onawa (US6) won the second and we won the third race. Courses were windward leeward with 1.5 miles legs. This was a good workout, we'd start, tack five or six times on the first beat, round the mark, gybe, take the kite down, go up wind and repeat. Onawa must have touched a mark or been OCS (on course side, premature starter) because we show three bullets on the results page.

Event info

Today's results

I can never tell the difference if the vents are opened or closed.

Same here.

So, today I was offered a kickass job at school (which I didn't apply for). Then, I received a surprise-scholarship (which I didn't apply for) at a meeting (which I didn't originally plan on attending). Afterwords, I got another kickass job offer (which I didn't apply for) from a guy in my hometown, "for, you know, when you come home during break and want to make some money." Oh, and I won a free hat.

So, today I was offered a kickass job at school (which I didn't apply for). Then, I received a surprise-scholarship (which I didn't apply for) at a meeting (which I didn't originally plan on attending). Afterwords, I got another kickass job offer (which I didn't apply for) from a guy in my hometown, "for, you know, when you come home during break and want to make some money.".

Ya know Nathan (yes I'm sure you do :ha) life can be funny like that. Sometimes it jumps up and bites you in the ass and other times it sneaks up and kisses you softly on the cheek. Congrats and enjoy the latter.

Yup.

I have to say that was an incredible day of sailing.

I was chatting with a friend who works for BMW Oracle Racing about the fact that last week they announced the next America's Cup will be in catamarans with wing sails and today I was match racing US 17 against US 6, two boats that were built in the 30's.

This is vintage racing at it's finest, two relatively even yachts with amateur crews with a few professionals responsible for safety and the care of two almost 70 year old boats. Part of the rules is the helmsman, tactician and navigator (the "afterguard) must be Cat 1 sailors (amateurs) so in addtion to being one of two mainsail trimmers I was also the tactician / navigator.

Wind was out of the west 15kts with gusts of 25+ and 25 degree shifts. Befor the start US 6 was trying to get us to agree to no spinnakers, we declined to commit. :whistle needless to say at the windward mark we both put up our kites. For the start of the second race the wind was well above the upper limit used during the Americas Cup races.

Ted Turner and Gary Jobsen were there on American Eagle, Courageous is sailing and is leading her class. They have the boats devided into classes based on age, Grand Prix, Modern, Classic and Vintage.

We won the first race, Onawa (US6) won the second and we won the third race. Courses were windward leeward with 1.5 miles legs. This was a good workout, we'd start, tack five or six times on the first beat, round the mark, gybe, take the kite down, go up wind and repeat. Onawa must have touched a mark or been OCS (on course side, premature starter) because we show three bullets on the results page.

Event info

Today's results

Wow, what an opportunity! Would love to be there. I'll be daydreaming about this all freakin' day now. Thanks a lot!:)

Yes, I fell.

BTW, I hear Kermit chairs make you cool. Perhaps that is the reason for the Fall temps.
It could also be all the computer users leaving windows open.

Can I have the hat? After all your cup run'th over. Congrats!.

Sure!

Ya know Nathan (yes I'm sure you do :ha) life can be funny like that. Sometimes it jumps up and bites you in the ass and other times it sneaks up and kisses you softly on the cheek. Congrats and enjoy the latter.

Yep, like.. basically, I got to spend the summer in California at a well-paying internship (that I didn't apply for).. and this has been the first year since transferring to the university that everything was paid for. Scholarships, grants, etc. Then this.. very cool.

I may just have to buy another BMW or two so I can be broke and content. Good fortune is burning a hole in my pocket.

Hey, I'm packing tonight for a week's worth of riding in Western PA. Leaving bright and early on Saturday.

Back