• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Garmin Zumo Battery issues?

RT_Riles

Greetings my fellow Beemerphiles

I bought a NIB Garmin Zumo 550 off eBay for $625.00, all the gear was included, and it was NIB, unopened etc etc

I used it for a whole season, no problem, all was good, and after a long stint off the bike (10 days) I was geared up n ready to go and my bike wouldn't start. Major dead battery. I'd like to blame my 4 year old daughter for playing with the ignition or PIAA running lights, but I can't be sure. My running lites go off with the ignition but the red LED was iluminated when I put the battery charger on, but it was dead as a doornail.

So after making the bike happy again I turned my GPS on in the driveway and it showed road kill status for the battery and switched off.

I put in on the AC charger when we got home and in the morning it would still say low battery and turn off.

One would think after a 200+ miles ride it would be charged sufficiently, but it will not hold a charge. I am curious as to what the draw is/would have been on the unit when everything is turned off.

I am clueless to electrical stuff but I am not a completely in the dark, so if a someone would illucidate on my fading power problem I would be most appreciative.

Thanks Guys
Ride on
Riles

Batteries that go to zero volts won't always come back up.

A quick search shows shows Zumo 550 batteries for $30-40.

Greetings my fellow Beemerphiles

I bought a NIB Garmin Zumo 550 off eBay for $625.00, all the gear was included, and it was NIB, unopened etc etc

I used it for a whole season, no problem, all was good, and after a long stint off the bike (10 days) I was geared up n ready to go and my bike wouldn't start. Major dead battery. I'd like to blame my 4 year old daughter for playing with the ignition or PIAA running lights, but I can't be sure. My running lites go off with the ignition but the red LED was iluminated when I put the battery charger on, but it was dead as a doornail.

So after making the bike happy again I turned my GPS on in the driveway and it showed road kill status for the battery and switched off.

I put in on the AC charger when we got home and in the morning it would still say low battery and turn off.

One would think after a 200+ miles ride it would be charged sufficiently, but it will not hold a charge. I am curious as to what the draw is/would have been on the unit when everything is turned off.

I am clueless to electrical stuff but I am not a completely in the dark, so if a someone would illucidate on my fading power problem I would be most appreciative.

Thanks Guys
Ride on
Riles

If I've got this correct the chances are that the gps was left on and that killed the battery-in the bike- after 10 days? In most cases, if I have understood you correctly, chances are the Zumo battery was pulled to zero volts and kept there probably croaking it. If the Zumo is a multi-cell ni-cad what usually happens is one cell in the pack actually reverses itself leaving a false charge when tested/tried in the device but with no real charge depth. Lead acid batteries have a much better tolerance for this. Good luck, Gary

I am clueless to electrical stuff...

I'd contact Garmin.

A lithium-ion battery failing in one year is highly unusual and I'd say it is defective.

Are you sure it is being charged?

They can be revived. I just revived a slew of NiMH AAs that had capacities in the bottom end (under 25%) and are now up above 90% capacity.

RE: Gloabalrider

I appreciate everyone's input on this.

I have read about the reversal on these ni-cad batteries like you have mentioned, but after a web search I can not find any instructions on how to do it.

Where did you find the method for reversing this? I saw something years about about recargable power tool batteries on line but that site is gone or I can't find it (Dewalt power tools).

I've looked up the replacement batteries and they are anywhere from 25 to 75 bucks on eBay. It would be nice to have a back up, so if you could tell me how to "unloop" this dead battery that's be much appreciated. My email addy: rustygun001@yahoo.com

Cheers
Riles

Replacement Purchased for $18. Wish Me Luck!

Found new 1 year warantee Li-ion battery on eBay for 13.49 + 4.49 s/h. out of Hong Kong.

Gulp

Wish me luck!

Would still like to hear how or find out where I can get instructions for unlocking/reversing the dead battery.

Thanks much guys

Riles

I appreciate everyone's input on this.

I have read about the reversal on these ni-cad batteries like you have mentioned, but after a web search I can not find any instructions on how to do it.

Riles

OK, 2 methods, I'll Mention it here so maybe it helps others. This is stuff that is REALLY SORT OF RISKY so do so at your RISK. You can take the mostly discharged battery and attach a cliplead to one side of the terminals and touch the other side a couple of times ( you may see a small spark) . I have had about a 15% success rate with this method. The method I have had the best luck with and use mostly is- take the really weak mostly discharged battery with just enough power in the battery to get the device to power up and drop in the charger with the device on. You may have to do this 3 or 4 times but I have salvaged a bunch of batteries this way. If the device has a plug in charger rather than drop in- same deal turn on and plug in. Remember this all has some RISK so go easy and don't do anything your not comfortable with. These 2 methods won't bring them back to new but may give you a little more life from them. Be careful, HTH, Gary

The Zumo battery is lithium. Do NOT try the cell reversal fix -- it only applies to Ni-Cd. Lithium batteries can ignite, rupture, or explode when subjected to high temperatures.

Thanks guys

Hey I appreciate the heads up and the clarification on the differences.

I've done enough half-assed crazy things in my life I'll just use the old battery for target practice.

Peace
Riles

Back