Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: stripped windscreen screws '05 R1200RT

Harrington

stripped windscreen screws '05 R1200RT

What are my options? I did a quick search and it came back goose eggs. I change my screen every few months depending on the weather. I guess I overtightened and stripped one of the screw holes. Do I need to buy a complete windscreen mounting bracket?

If my bike I think it some good epoxy in the hole and cure well thendrill for shield screw.

Ifyou use a wood round toothpick to push epoxy in and leave in it will easily drill.

Or if in hurry just put some steelwool threads in hole to help grab. But there wioo be mors spread inside pressure and may stretch hole more

I suppose others will give smarter ideas.

You could tap them out to the next larger size screw.
    IBA #44567 Pres. Springfield BMW Roadriders
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

Dear Harrington..

It would be VERY USEFUL if we had some tiny clue, just an inkling, of what bike you've stripped out the windshield screws on. Different bikes lend themselves to different solutions.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

dstuckmann

Heli-Coil

I would suggest repairing them with a Heli-coil (or similar product) to get the thread back to it original size. In aluminum, the repair is stronger than the original thread. You should be able to get these at auto parts stores.

http://www.helicoil.in/

I have the exact same problem. 07 rt with cee baileys shield. I change back to oem shield in summer for air flow. I've considered jb weld and then re tapping. Do you think this would be strong enough?
    Rod
    95 K1100RS
    07 R1200RT

JB Weld it. Wait 24 hours and then drill and tap. Make sure you have the proper tap and go SLOW! The last thing you need is a tap broken off inside the JB Weld. DAMHIK
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

Check out Pro-Grabit for sale at Home Depot for $20

http://thegrabitstore.com/default.aspx
    RadRider
    2015 R1200R, 2015 R1200RT
    MOA #118928
    IBA # 46323

Quote Originally Posted by jmirizarry View Post
    Check out Pro-Grabit for sale at Home Depot for $20

http://thegrabitstore.com/default.aspx
    BTDT. These don't work on broken taps at all. The taps are harder than the tools. The only reliable method I've found for removing broken taps is EDM.
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

Harrington
    Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    Dear Harrington..

It would be VERY USEFUL if we had some tiny clue, just an inkling, of what bike you've stripped out the windshield screws on. Different bikes lend themselves to different solutions.
    My 05 RT is listed in my profile. I posted this under hexheads/camheads. By default you can assume it's not a /5 but thanks for asking anyway. Yes, I should have listed the year, model and VIN with a full detailed factory parts list including a description of the failure, torque value at failure with a detailed weather report including all astrological events.

For ****s and giggles lets say it's an 05 RT windshield retaining screw that blew it's tap......

Thanks for playing.

Harrington
    Quote Originally Posted by rodstanhope View Post
    I have the exact same problem. 07 rt with cee baileys shield. I change back to oem shield in summer for air flow. I've considered jb weld and then re tapping. Do you think this would be strong enough?
    I found info on aftermarket struts. I'd rather just change the pieces out to something more stout. Currently the shield is retained by the other screws so I can still ride. I'm looking to build it better and stronger. I'll go the JB route if I can't find the struts.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrington View Post
    My 05 RT is listed in my profile.
    You miss the point. If you want people who might have something useful to add post to your question - then it behooves you to make it easy for them to know what the actual subject is. That's where your bike model (and year in many cases) is a valuable thing to know. Expecting someone to open the thread, read your posting, then go look in your profile to find information is not realistic. It simply won't happen in the great majority of cases.

I've added the bike info to the thread title. Perhaps you'll get some more suggestions.. FWIW - there are replacement arms made by a 3rd party for the RT - this might be worth considering, they are stronger then the BMW arms.
    I posted this under hexheads/camheads. By default you can assume it's not a /5 but thanks for asking anyway. Yes, I should have listed the year, model and VIN with a full detailed factory parts list including a description of the failure, torque value at failure with a detailed weather report including all astrological events.

For ****s and giggles lets say it's an 05 RT windshield retaining screw that blew it's tap......

Thanks for playing.
    EDIT: Commentary I made removed - it appeared to one member as too insulting, and he may have been right. Please remember - moderators are also human..
    Last edited by deilenberger; 09-14-2010 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Removing a comment

Harrington
    Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    You miss the point. If you want people who might have something useful to add post to your question - then it behooves you to make it easy for them to know what the actual subject is. That's where your bike model (and year in many cases) is a valuable thing to know. Expecting someone to open the thread, read your posting, then go look in your profile to find information is not realistic. It simply won't happen in the great majority of cases.

I've added the bike info to the thread title. Perhaps you'll get some more suggestions.. FWIW - there are replacement arms made by a 3rd party for the RT - this might be worth considering, they are stronger then the BMW arms.

EDIT: Commentary I made removed - it appeared to one member as too insulting, and he may have been right. Please remember - moderators are also human..
    FTR I probably could have just done the research myself. I've been uber busy at work and thought a few retired shadetree mechanics would volunteer some obvious fix. I appreciate the constructive responses to date. I was just fishing for something I might have missed. These 3rd party struts might be the ticket but this hush/hush isn't a big sales pitch. I'm looking for a quality product from a reputable company.
    Thanks for playing.

Quick and dirty fix - longer screw, nut on it where it comes out of the bracket on the other side (assuming the bracket is through drilled.) Not tidy, but it will work.

To avoid this issue in the future, what is the proper torque for the screws?
    Tom
    Plantation, Fl