• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Removing a Battery from the Battery Box R75/6

b25bsaboy

Hi There!

Know this is a silly question, but how does one remove the battery from the battery cradle in the frame. When I looked at this, all I could see is that one would have to dismantle the rear end because the last owner put this massive battery in.

Rick MacP

Remove the 2 10mm nuts from the sides of the battery tray (behind the sidecovers).
Lift seat.
Disconnect the battery ("negative off, positive on" is what I always say to myself).
Tilt battery tray back.
Wiggle battery out (between the subframe bolts and fender).

Or back off both bolts attaching the upper subframe to the frame (the bolt/nut combo that's clearly in the way of lifting the battery out). Then remove the two 10 mm nuts that allow you to tilt the tray back. Now try it.

I find that I also have to remove or loosen one of the subframe bolts to spread the frame a bit. Sounds like a hassle, but doing it every 4-5 years doesn't seem so bad...until I'm doing it!

Huh. Never thought of those. Nice!
I've been removing the air filter housing, which is kind of a PIA b/c the intake tubes need to come off and then there's that darn little nut holding the right one on.

to add to the above...

There are two bolts that hold the sub frame to the mainframe just behind the tank and below the front of the seat. (One of them holds the lift handle on). Remove the nuts on the inside of the frame and back the bolts out till they are flush with the inside of the sub frame tube. You don’t need to remove them completely and probably should not do so. That should provide enough clearance to tilt the battery and tray back touching the rear fender then lift the battery up and out through the opening where the tool tray was. Be especially careful not to get the positive and negative terminals in contact with the frame at least at the same time. It is a very tight fit.

The other means to remove the battery is to pull carbs, air tubes, and air cleaner housing (both sides) with filter. The battery will slide right out over the top of the transmission through the opening created by the removal of the air cleaner housing. The carbs can hang on their cables or sit on the cylinders connected to the cables. The half of the air filter housing that has the choke lever attached can be swung out of the way and held back with wire/string/whatever…this however means you will have to balance the carbs after installing a new battery and putting it all back together. But then a carb balance is easy and required periodically anyway....

Last edited:
The other means to remove the battery is to pull carbs, air tubes, and air cleaner housing (both sides) with filter. The battery will slide right out over the top of the transmission through he opening created by the removal of the air cleaner housing.

+2 Plus it gives you an opportunity to check the condition of your air filter. And if you're preally careful about how you handle those dangling carbs, you can cheat on the sync job. But ...
then a carb balance is easy and required periodically anyway....
Yesterday 09:02 PM

Odyssey PC680 straps

Not only will the Odyssey never leak acid on your battery tray, it's so much smaller that I manage to fit a <a href=http://www.nelsonrigg.com/store/product.aspx?pid=487 target=_blank>Nelson-Rigg UV2000 XL half cover</a>, in its provided bag, in the space newly vacated behind the Odyssey by the old lead acid battery. This is in my 1989 R100RT. The tool box ordinarily sits on top and does not interfere with the closing of the seat with the Nelson-Rigg in place as shown.

The rubber straps, two needed, are part number 61211243562 from your BMW dealer.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-09-13 at 1.30.10 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-09-13 at 1.30.10 PM.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Not only will the Odyssey never leak acid on your battery tray, it's so much smaller that I manage to fit a <a href=http://www.nelsonrigg.com/store/product.aspx?pid=487 target=_blank>Nelson-Rigg UV2000 XL half cover</a>, in its provided bag, in the space newly vacated behind the Odyssey by the old lead acid battery. This is in my 1989 R100RT. The tool box ordinarily sits on top and does not interfere with the closing of the seat with the Nelson-Rigg in place as shown.

The rubber straps, two needed, are part number 61211243562 from your BMW dealer.

Thank you for everyone responding to the question as to how to remove the battery. After reading and giving some thought, I have elected to go and source a Odessey battery and straps. Thank's to all of yopu who chimed in with suggestions!

Rick

:bikes

Back