• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Colorado: Service in Durango or Cortez?

J

JadeRider

Dear All,

I am in the middle of a long trip and since I am new to my 1150GS I would rather have someone do an oil change for me, instead of trying my hand at it on the road. Is there any place that can be trusted in Durango or Cortez? I will be there in a few days.

Many thanks

Carlos

Basin Motor Works in Mancos

Harry Hill of Basin Motorcycle Works and his crew do excellent work. Mancos is between Durango and Cortez, closer to Cortez. Harry is right on 160 and has an airhead mounted on top of his shop. Call 970-759-9189 or browse to www.basinmotorcycleworks.com. Tell him (or Dave) that Chris Foran sent you.

Is this the same shop that used to be just east of Durango? I stopped in for a quickie oil change - fast and friendly, and I got lunch across the street. Couldn't ask for anything more.

If you want to stay in Durango a night - the motels on the north end of town are cheaper than anything in the "tourist" area.

Thanks Paul

I have a cabin reserved at the KOA. It sorta fits right in the middle of things. The way I describe those is sorta like a Log-Tent with a bed and power. Which is just fine with me.

Same shop now in Mancos

Yep. Harry's shop used to be east of Durango. Now just in Mancos. Several good places to eat in Mancos within walking distance including Absolute Bakery is sit-down good food, atmosphere, coffee, while Zuma (right across from his shop) has a self serve soup and sandwich bar which is very good and next door to him is pizza and salad, etc, in the P&D. Other good restaurants as well as coffee houses, all close by.
If you have a flexible schedule and haven't already scheduled it, spend some hours seeing Mesa Verde National Park, which is between Mancos and Cortez. Schedule a tour of Balcony House and/or Cliff Palace ruins first thing when you get to the Mesa Verde visitor center (15 or 20 mi into the park). Fun twisty ride with great views up the Mesa, but some of the road may be under repair.

Harry Hill & Co.

Just returned from a trip to Durango and several "out-and-back" trips up one of the finest m/c roads on earth - U.S. 550 n/s Durango - Ridgway. A suddenly dead battery at the United Campground (Durango) eventually led me to "discover" the Basin Motorcycle Works in Mancos. These guys are the real deal, as others have noted. VERY friendly and competent, and an easy trip (30 mi) over from Durango. I'm very picky about who works on my bikes, and I'd trust Harry to wrench my airplane, if I had one.

Other quick notes on the area, for those lucky enough to ride these SW Colorado roads. First, Durango is totally devoted to tourism. This is both good and bad news for most of us, as there are a lot of very marginal restaurants along with a few good ones - I'm an admitted "foodie" so this army travels on it's stomach, for sure.

Breakfast for foodies: Carver Brewing Company, right on the main drag of Durango. Excellent everything, including coffee. Dinners are disappointingly pedestrian, at best, and didn't lunch there so can't comment. For those who enjoy quantity, and good service, try Durango Diner. Coffee is horrible, food OK. Not in the same league with CBC, and you've been warned.

Dinner for foodies: Sweeney's Grubsteak. These people know how to cook, serve, and make you welcome. The "all wood" interior, alone, is worth the short trip to the north end of Durango - almost across the street from United Campground. Despite the name of the place, this is much more than a steak joint - the seafood selections are wonderful, the service is top-notch, and you feel as if you're dining in a friend's home. Perfect, after a long day of ripping U.S. 550.

Durango has a FREE trolley system that is second to none -- especially great for two-wheel travelers as most of us don't like to get back on the bikes to go out for dinner. The north-end of the trolley route has a stop right across the road from United Campground.

Orvis Hot Springs, just south of Ridgway on 550, is fantastic. A mere $14 to soak in this beautiful setting - clothing optional and a few tent-sites available.

Regards to all,

Walking Eagle
'94 R1100RS - MoonBeemer
'80 GL1100 Naked w/ Watsonian - Old Son (under restoration)

Just arrived last night in Houston. My stop at Basin MW was more than great. Harry and his crew not only took care of the oil change at my convenience, I also go invaluable lessons in ways to care for my bike.

Totally Top Notch Service :clap

Back