• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

From the sand of Iraq to the Bluegrass of Kentucky

DBCasey

Enjoy the ride!
I deployed Dec 5th of 2009 as a member of the Ky Army National Guard to Balad, Iraq. Before I left, I test rode a 2009 lowered RT. Since I've been here, I've thought about/obsessed over that bike. I've joined every RT forum I could. Researching the accessories, the "farkles", and talking to owners and other RT riders about their experiences.

Finally, last week I got to go home for my 2 weeks of R&R leave. I was the last guy in my unit to go home. While I was there, I went to the BMW dealer, test rode a 2010 lowered RT and then placed my order for a 2011 factory low, Ostra Grey RT. All options except ASC. My dealer e-mailed me today and told me that 10 my bike is being built this week and 2) the bike will be there in Louisville in about 65 days. I'm due to be home for good in 64 days. As if I needed more reasons to be excited about coming home!

This is probably the only chance I'll ever have in my life to buy a brand new vehicle. When I first started talking about this with the Mrs, she said "go on and get it, you deserve it after two deployments".. I do love that woman so!

I look forward to meeting fellow Beemer riders and am making plans to attend the rally in PA. I've been in contact with one of the local BMW clubs in Ky and have received welcome e-mails from them.

I hope to meet many of you out on the roads. Take care..

Casey

Casey, welcome home and needless to say...Thanks!

You have many fun filled miles ahead of you, hopefully your lady will enjoy it as much as you obviously will.

You will meet many new friends and aquaintances, and have many great times! If you ever get over toward Missouri give me a PM...we can go riding!

Welcome, good luck on the bike. Be careful, be safe, thank you,see you in PA. Gary

I deployed Dec 5th of 2009 as a member of the Ky Army National Guard to Balad, Iraq. Before I left, I test rode a 2009 lowered RT. Since I've been here, I've thought about/obsessed over that bike. I've joined every RT forum I could. Researching the accessories, the "farkles", and talking to owners and other RT riders about their experiences.

Finally, last week I got to go home for my 2 weeks of R&R leave. I was the last guy in my unit to go home. While I was there, I went to the BMW dealer, test rode a 2010 lowered RT and then placed my order for a 2011 factory low, Ostra Grey RT. All options except ASC. My dealer e-mailed me today and told me that 10 my bike is being built this week and 2) the bike will be there in Louisville in about 65 days. I'm due to be home for good in 64 days. As if I needed more reasons to be excited about coming home!

This is probably the only chance I'll ever have in my life to buy a brand new vehicle. When I first started talking about this with the Mrs, she said "go on and get it, you deserve it after two deployments".. I do love that woman so!

I look forward to meeting fellow Beemer riders and am making plans to attend the rally in PA. I've been in contact with one of the local BMW clubs in Ky and have received welcome e-mails from them.

I hope to meet many of you out on the roads. Take care..

Casey

Hi Casy, sounds alot like my story, After my summer, 2003, all goverment paid vacation to Fallujah then later Balad and Bagdad, when I got home I was looking at the '04 RT's. My wife said pretty much the same thing. 56,000 miles later and still going. Look forward to meeting you at the rally. Good luck and keep up the good work. Roy

thanks for your service. looking forward to seeing a picture of you on the new ride.

Thank you all for the welcome to the club and the forum.

Update - I received an e-mail from my dealer on the 11th. My bike is off the factory line (happy birthday to her!) and will be making her way to Ky. I'm about 60 days from home and I'm guessing (hoping and praying!) that she'll be there when I get in. I'm not sure what happens after the bike comes off the line. At least the weather is nice in Germany!

I'm reading up about the Bluetooth capability of the 2011 RT. I'm new to the sport touring world, so having the ability to BT is unfamiliar territory for me. I'm sure I'll be asking for advice and for some help in the other pages of this forum..

Thanks again, see you on the road soon!
C

Casey,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service to our great country! The RT is an awesome bike and you will find so much information about it from the great people on this forum. Be safe!

Craig

Another Vet, another Army-paid-for BMW!

Good choice Brother! Hurry home and enjoy the ride!

I started riding when I returned from my last deployment in Afghanistan last summer. I was medically retired from the Army last February, and bought my new-to-me '07 R1200R. I'm letting the retirement checks cover the payments, making her my true Army going away gift!

I can't imagine having to leave again and left dreaming of my ride! My brother just got back from his 3rd trip to Iraq and left my house drooling over the bike! Maybe I made him a convert as well! Many a good soldier has bought a great machine with that good old deployment cash, and a few of them even had the backing of their significant other! Good work over there, and apparently, you got a good and understanding wife at home!

See you on the road someday, Brother! Get the job done, get back home to your loved ones, and enjoy that great machine!

T

Better Frankfort KY than Frankfurt GDR, for sure.
Home safely and that's all that matters.
Thank you for your service, it is greatly appreciated.
It's not the factory that seems to take so long as the boat time, I think now you can even track that. Ask your dealer.

Give us an update when you take delivery. Likely you'll get all the advice you can stand. :ha

And Willkommen!

Thanks for keeping us all speaking English Casey !
We all appreciate what you are doing for our country and I hope you love your new RT as much as I love mine ! Come home safe !

farkling half a world away!

Thanks again for all the welcomes! I've got about 48 more days in this sh*thole, then I'll be home for good. So, while I'm sitting here in the desert between flights, I'm doing what any good Beemer owner would do..checking out accessories!

Topcases (looking for one with an intergrated LED brake light), GPS (660 or 665?), riding pants (hard to find stuff for "vertically challenged" people), and lots of other stuff, but I'm having a great time! I figure I'll get her into the 600 mile service before I start looking at any aftermarket seats, or highway pegs.

One thing I'm pretty sure I want to get are some Ztechnik engine guards, just in case! The ones for the 2010 and up RTs will be available in about 6 weeks.

I've already made my reservations for Bloomsburg. (Pine Barn Inn, never been there but it sounded cool). I hope to get to meet you all when I'm there. I'll be the short guy on the new RT with a HUGE smile on his face!

Take care,
Casey

The fat lady ain't singing, but she's warming up....

Update - I received an e-mail from my dealer, my RT will be arriving in Ky on the 10th of October! So she'll be sitting in the showroom for awhile before I get to meet up with her. My dealer is a BMW/HD dealer,so there better not be any stinky HD butts on my seat! :p

I've got about 38 more days in Iraq, then a few more at the demobilization site. So I hope to meet up with my RT around the 15th of November :dance

Not long now....
C

Casey, I hope it is a SUNNY DAY IN KENTUCKY when you get here to your new bike!
The "farkling" comment reminded me of the pile of boxes containing mtn bike stuff via UPS, in my oldest son's garage as he looked to his return from his 4th deployment to the sands. Another son had me locate/buy (his $) a new dream car as he too looked to getting back .
See you on the road in KY!:usa

Hey Brother,
I got my '07 after my OEF deployment as well. Then, while in Iraq, beside seeing my family, all I wanted to do was ride my 12RT. Couple words of advice? VetCenter. Check in with them. PM me with any questions. Ride safe!
Rich
Rubber down
:usa

Wow! We can feel your excitement! The time will be here before you know it. Welcome to the forum and we look forward to seeing you in PA.

Thanks for your service.

First of all, Thanx for serving and keeping the homeland safer.
You will enjoy riding back at home , but don't rush it. I am sure there are a lot of friends and relations that want to see you too. Just remember to be careful when riding here.
I got into an accident the first week from coming home from Viet Nam a million years ago. No real damage except to my ego.
Hope to see you at the beer tent in Bloomsburg!:usa

Update : Whaddayamean a "strike"?

According to my dealer, my RT bike hasn't been unloaded at the port in either New York or New Jersey. Apparently the dock workers are on strike. Ah well.

As long as my bike makes it to Ky before I do in November, then all will be well. Otherwise, I'll have to go up there and unleash a little of my PTSD rage....:dance

26 more days in Iraq...

More to follow..

Back