Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lubing final drive splines on an 08 RT?

In the beautful foothills of the Ozarks, Southeast Missouri.

Lubing final drive splines on an 08 RT?

I have been doing a little searching on here and reading the tech. sections and had a queston about my 08 RT. At what mileage should the final drive splines be lubed? Also in the tech. section, Semper Fi has an excellent write up on doing it to a 2005 and was wondering if it would be the same procedure on an 08? This is coming from a newbie to the BMW world as I never had to lube the belts on any of my Harleys.

Thanks in advance,
    Ron
    Ron Morris
    Cape Girardeau, Missouri
    2009 F650GS
    AMA, BMWMOA #153389, IBMWR and NRA

I like to do it at 40K miles. That seems safe.

65K is way to long. Photos to follow some day when I take it apart.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Thanks Paul, that helps me a lot. I was getting ready to change the final drive oil and seeing as the bike only has 17K miles, I didn't know if I needed to do that yet or not.

Ron
    Ron Morris
    Cape Girardeau, Missouri
    2009 F650GS

Ron - to lube the splines you need to drop the differential, what I showed for the. 2005 ST would be very very similar on the 08. Essentially remove rear wheel, remove caliper, remove the sensor, take the nut and bolt off of the brake bar and drop the drive. I lube my splines once a year, every spring. YMMV
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

OK thanks, I wasn't sure since I hadn't had it apart yet if it was the same or there was something special with the newer ones or even if you had to do it anymore. Even though I have been riding for 42 years, BMWs are a whole new world to me and I still have a lot to learn. Thanks again.

Ron
    Ron Morris
    Cape Girardeau, Missouri
    2009 F650GS

We have a very helpful forum here so feel free to ask your questions - there are plenty of people here that will help.

Enjoy your new bike.
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

I have an 05 ST which doesn't have a drain plug so i have to drop the diff to drain the oil, at that time it's easy to do the spline lube. I do it every 12K, 40K seems like a long time.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I like to do it at 40K miles. That seems safe.

65K is way to long. Photos to follow some day when I take it apart.
    Paul, does this apply to the hexhead paralever rear-drive?

Unlike the monolever and oilhead paralever designs - BMW did get it right on the newer paralever design. The pivot points of the paralever are in the same plane as the pivot points of the universal joints on the driveshaft. This design eliminates the sliding action on the rear-drive input shaft connection.

While I do examine mine when I do a rear drive oil change (12k invervals) so far the lube I put on at 24k miles is still in place (Wurth-3000) and looks fine. I've also seen photos of ones that apparently were never lubed, right from the factory, and while a bit rusty, they showed no signs of spline wear. I suspect the lack of sliding in the spline is what's responsible for the difference.

Should they be lubed? Yeah - I'd agree with your 40k recommendation (but I might make it 48k since that coincides with a final-drive oil change interval), but I wouldn't panic if they weren't done up to then. If you have the earlier hexhead rear drive that requires pivoting down to change the oil - then checking the splines at the 12k oil-change intervals will probably be more then adequate.

So far - I've only heard of one hexhead driveshaft failure, and that was a front universal joint that failed. I haven't heard of any spline failures, including bikes with lots of miles on them now.. BMW finally put that problem to bed.

YMMV and probably will..
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

I just did mine at about 18,000 miles as part of an "annual" on a four year old RT. I used a 50/50 mix of wurth 3000 and Honda Moly 60 and won't worry about it until next September. Getting it back together was a real task. I was afraid I'd push the bike off the centerstand trying to slide the splines back in place. Finally just put it in neutral and spun the disk while pushing it together. After about three revolutions it slid in place and I stabbed the bolt through the torque arm.
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

Yes, getting the splines to match up can be a real pain. I had to walk away open an adult beverage and walk back to it. Went right in. Is this a stupid question?
    What about the tranny end, does that need to be lubed or does it not slide? Bolted? etc??????
    Thanks
    Jeff Anderson
    I ride a 2008 R1200RT

Jeff I believe the front of the shaft is retained by a spring clip. As such it would not move much if any and therefore would not require lubing. Someone on this fine site will no doubt correct me if I'm mistaken.
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

jduke
    I change the FD oil and lube the FD spline every rear tire change. Thanks to Semper Fi's great writeup, it's easy.

Quote Originally Posted by jduke View Post
    I change the FD oil and lube the FD spline every rear tire change. Thanks to Semper Fi's great writeup, it's easy.
    +1 Ditto
    And thanks Marty.
    Jeff Anderson
    I ride a 2008 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by MPMARTY View Post
    Jeff I believe the front of the shaft is retained by a spring clip. As such it would not move much if any and therefore would not require lubing. Someone on this fine site will no doubt correct me if I'm mistaken.
    Correct. Removing it requires a pry-bar actually. I would expect that to be lubed for about the life of the bike (I know of 25 year old K bikes running around where that front spline has never been touched.)
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

Quote Originally Posted by MPMARTY View Post
    I was afraid I'd push the bike off the centerstand trying to slide the splines back in place.
    If I'm doing anything that even theoretically could result in the bike rolling forward off the centerstand, I cinch a strap from the centerstand through the front wheel rim (alternatively, to the front exhaust cross-over pipe) in order to gar-un-tee that there's no way the centerstand can fold up.
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA