• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fork Seal Question

Jade

I've read the available threads on fork/fork seal questions and understand that the forks on an 04 R1150RT are not dampers but only act as sliders for the front axle. When I bought this bike it had had its fork seals replaced and, because I normally keep it on the sidestand in my garage, I didn't notice a problem til the first time I got it up on the center stand (not particularly easy for me til I learned about the 2x4 trick). The seals don't leak when riding or when on the sidestand, but when the bike is on the center stand and (I'm assuming) the slider extends to full travel, then the next time the bike is back to the sidestand (ridden or not) a few drops of fork oil leak out of the left side over about a 48 hour period. This does not occur on the right side seal. Could the left slider be too full of oil, or is there a pressure release somewhere that might be plugged?
The wrench who replaced the seals is very reputable, but not a BMW dealer. He has maintained this bike since it was first purchased new by the previous owner. I'm just wondering if there could be some other issue before I have the seals replaced again.

Last edited:
I did the fork seals on my bike (02 R1150R) last year and was surprised to see a similar thing happen. I don't think it was just from being on centerstand; I just noticed a few drops from one fork leg. I monitored it and it stopped after a few more rides. I think I poured the oil in after installing the seals, so was guessing that perhaps a bit of oil wound up on top of the seals. It wasn't much.

And I'm going on memory but I think there's a purge plug at the top of the inner tube of the fork assembly that allows air out as you slide the lower tube up.

Relying on memory of when I did my GS, there is a small hole near the top which is a vent. As pawork implied, perhaps just a bit too much fluid. Just keep wiping it up and it should stop soon, seeing from your description the amount and conditions.

Is there any clever technique for pulling up the fork caps to have a look at the seals without pulling off all the plastic on an 1150 RT?

Back