• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Which Powerlet adapter for GPS?

M

MasterChiefmas

So I'm trying to decide what solution to use to power my GPS. I figure I have 3 options for the powerlet:
- Powerlet stubby to cigarette socket
- Powerlet to 10" cable cigarette socket
- Powerlet to Mini USB

So the 2 cigarette options ahve the advantage of more flexibility and price, but disadvantage of more parts to power something. But mainly what would you suggest doing one or the other between the stubby and cable.

The miniUSB has less parts, and will plug direct to the GPS, but of course less things it will power, and is a more expensive bit then the cig options.

Any opinions on if any of these have a advantage over the others?

Thanks!

What bike and what GPS?

The GS / GSA's have a plug already on the bike that works for Garmin's or at least the ZUMO series.

RobStar

Well...I think it kinda is specific in that I don't care if the stubby connector is the best one when used with a G650 if it blocks the handle bars from turning on my bike due to the location of the socket. That's why I posted it there.

But anyway...
This would be for a 2005 R1200GS
GPS is a Nuvi 780.

Thanks!

Check to see if your Nuvi even charges with the mini-usb on a wall outlet.

Mine doesn't. You have to push some sequence that i've forgotten to get it to take a charge off the wall, and it can't be used during.

I don't have a 780 though so maybe it's not an issue with them.

That said, I have a powerlet to 2 cigars going to the tankbag, one of the cigars going back out to the gps via the included gps cable, one of the cigars left to charge the phone.

The stubby adapters don't seem like a clean install to me, big, ugly, etc.

But if you don't have a bag to hide all the wire, long adapters are even worse!

FWIW

Well...I think it kinda is specific in that I don't care if the stubby connector is the best one when used with a G650 if it blocks the handle bars from turning on my bike due to the location of the socket. That's why I posted it there.
Then I'd strongly suggest including THAT information in the thread title.. or at the LEAST in the posting itself.

Like Bob, I have the powerlet to 2 cigar outlet cable. I leave it plugged in all the time, with the cable run under the tupperware, and keep it coiled on top of the airbox under the seat (on a R1150RT). I just pop the seat and plug things in as needed or I can pull it out and stuff it into the tankbag.

Then I'd strongly suggest including THAT information in the thread title.. or at the LEAST in the posting itself.
Well, yes, I realize that now. This forum operates a differently in that regard then most others I've been on. My normal reaction is that it would be redundant to post something in the subject area and then also announce that it was in regards to that subject of the area. I now understand that's just how things are done here.

So I'm trying to decide what solution to use to power my GPS. I figure I have 3 options for the powerlet:
- Powerlet stubby to cigarette socket
- Powerlet to 10" cable cigarette socket
- Powerlet to Mini USB

So the 2 cigarette options ahve the advantage of more flexibility and price, but disadvantage of more parts to power something. But mainly what would you suggest doing one or the other between the stubby and cable.

The miniUSB has less parts, and will plug direct to the GPS, but of course less things it will power, and is a more expensive bit then the cig options.

Any opinions on if any of these have a advantage over the others?

Thanks!

Are you considering the GPS mounting as pretty much permanent on the bike or ???.

I prefer to hard wire to the bike. I have an aux fuse panel on the bike and wire to there. I also use a ram mount and touratech shock mount for the gps this way when I remove it its a clean removal of the gps and I can use it on other bikes and vehicles if I desire.

Installing Fuse Block: Note-fuseblock is wired into the keyed ignition so that when key is off then all fuse block accessories are off-If you prefer you can hot wire to battery-your choice. This fuse block also provides a ground block providing you with not only power but a central source for grounding. Some people like that - and some don't.

884364549_2CbE4-L.jpg

884366800_oTmye-L.jpg

GPS Mount
884369307_t37uA-L-1.jpg

884376656_fJWw2-L.jpg

On My Other Bike (Using a second Ram and Touratech Mount. Note two pictures are from two different time periods

971083481_c7oPv-L-1.jpg

994725088_bYAVQ-L-1.jpg

This way there are no wires to fumble with its grab and go. Also have mounts for GPS in my cars an truck. This makes for quick swap out. (Note: I use the Touratech shock mount on my motorcycles since without it I have lost 3 earlier GPS units to internal damage cause by shock and vibration caused by hard off road use)

Just shop for the proper aftermarket piece parts and you are ready to go.

Just a though -this was one of my winter projects when I had the bike torn down and had good access to the battery, frame, and wiring bundles so I could do a good job of routing wires, etc.

Good Luck

Mike

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for the detailed posting! But no, no permanent mount for me. I move the GPS between my car and bikes. Plus, it's not a Zumo, so it's not water proof.

Back