Thread: Oil Filter Tool

Oil Filter Tool

Am I the only one that thinks paying $35 for a tool to remove an oil filter on an RT is a little bit ridiculous. Even $25 for a tool to remove the spark plug coil is highway robbery.
    Paul Witt
    2008 R1200RT
    Greensboro, NC

Toadmanor
    I made my own!

20d (20 Penny) nail and a hammer. Drive the nail through the filter, turn and remove. Has never failed me yet!

Oil filter replacement

I stopped using BMW oil filters. K&N uses a 17 or 19 milimeter nut on bottom of the filter. I get My K&N filters at auto zone cheaper than the OEM part and have never had a problem with them. Yes I agree with you the cost of the the filter wrench is way high.

There are less expensive wrenches out there. I believe Marc Parnes sells a nice one for a reasonable price.
    On second thought maybe not. Marcs' tool is the $35.00 one.
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

But Marc's tools are nice, and everyone that sees mine asks where I got them. I spent close to $100 on all of them, and they are wonderful!
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by PaulWitt View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks paying $35 for a tool to remove an oil filter on an RT is a little bit ridiculous. Even $25 for a tool to remove the spark plug coil is highway robbery.
    Then don't buy it. I bought my metal filter removal tool for about $10. Maybe it was $12. Stamped metal, not carved from fancy billet aluminum. There's also a plastic tool but I've read several complaints from folks using that one. Or maybe this generic tool will do the trick.

Oh, and a pair of screwdrivers that you likely already have will do a great job of removing the plug coils although I must admit I do have one of the coil removal tools. Must have been expensive as I don't remember what I paid for it.

bob1100rtc
    I bought mine from Greensburg Tool and Supply in Greensburg PA for $16 a couple years ago.