• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Refinishing a set of K75 bags

R

rwat3003

I am thinking of painting the bags on my K75 and I am curious as to what type of paint I should use. My plan is to use an automotive vinyl spray used for interiors. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on what I should use?

Thanks,

Rich

If I wanted scratch proof bags, I would spray with a truck bed liner.

I painted a K100lT and wanted the dimpled finish bags smooth like the new ones. I scuffed the bags and used a buildable primer, 600 grit smooth sand, 2 coats of urethane color, 2 coats of urethane clear. See for your self.

Ralph Sims

Attachments

• bike pics 10-8-07 063.jpg
    bike pics 10-8-07 063.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 184
Wow, those look great! I don't think my bags are good enough for a gloss finish. In my case, I am just trying to get back to something similar to what they looked like when new.

Thanks,

Rich

I used Duo-Color in spray cans. I got them from Canadian Tire, but they should be available elsewhere. I sanded the surface of the bag with a fine (800 or 600) wet/dry paper and applied the paint as recommended. I had silver bags which I wanted black. It worked, giving me a matte finish.

Wow, those look great! I don't think my bags are good enough for a gloss finish. In my case, I am just trying to get back to something similar to what they looked like when new.

Thanks,

Rich

Mine were in pretty rough shape. Salvage title bike.

Ralph Sims

Attachments

• Picture 203.jpg
    Picture 203.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 151
Rich, Hope this is not too late of a reply.... But I have used this company with great results on repairing and painting pastics. www.urethanesupply.com
Seems to be for the professional, but also work with shade tree mechanics like me.

Thanks for the lead. I ended up using a vinyl and plastic spray coating from the automotive paint store and everything worked out well. The urathane option sounds good and I may try that next time.

Thanks,

Rich

Back