Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Important information concerning depending on SPOT for rescue

MOA,NEF,MBREC,FSSNOC,VJMC brownie's Avatar

Exclamation GPS/Phone coords

Great thread on location technology……as many have heard my rants/discussions…..I’m a retired EMS Helo pilot (27 years), and obviously old timer Beemer guy (42 years)….
    Everyone should know how to read their Lats & Longs on their phone !!!! This info is critical if you need a helo, or ground ambulance. Dispatchers can convert Lat/Long to street. address, or vice versa.
    Iphones have this capability on the “compass” app if activated; there are other apps avail now also….

Please practice this issue RIGHT NOW !!! I also recc keeping your phone on your person when riding….
    Words to Ride by: Patience, Anticipate, Paranoia
    Shep Brown MOA 27510
    "Inga" '04RT, "Fronk" '78 SR500
    Pensacola, Floriduh

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post

Please practice this issue RIGHT NOW !!! I also recc keeping your phone on your person when riding….
    Thanks for the reminder. I used to have a app to send my location but see it disappeared.
    On a Android phone if you hold down on the Google Map display you can see the coord, but I have to remember to hold the phone in Landscape to see all of the numbers.
    Just now I installed the app Map Coordinates. When you open the app it displays the coord and closest street address.
    The Map Coordinates app would be the easiest for me, but I need to make sure I know how to change to the app while talking on the cell phone.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

I sure hope these SPOTs are a lot better than when they first came out, with users not getting through when under certain conditions (tree cover or in a gorge, etc).

Some time ago, claims were that they got better and based on newer models that came out.

But when it comes to live saving and especially in remote areas:
    1) I count on myself and being prepared. That depends on the stuff beteen my ears and equipment such as a PLB, sat-phone, first aid kit and emergency equipment.
    2) then I count on back-ups such as flight plans and lastly flight notifications when I flew.

The Apple App Store has an app titled "My GPS Coordinates". It is free and shows location in 5 different formats - selectable, one at a time of course: degrees/decimal degrees; degrees and minutes/decimal minutes; degrees, minutes, and seconds/decimal seconds; and, UTM and MGRS (whatever those last two are???).

I really like this app.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 07-21-2021 at 04:22 PM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

It gets even more confusing. Different countries use different Geodetic Survey datums. The US uses WGS-84 and Canada uses NAD-83. Fortunately, the difference is only a few meters.

MOA,NEF,MBREC,FSSNOC,VJMC brownie's Avatar

Well done !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Thanks for the reminder. I used to have a app to send my location but see it disappeared.
    On a Android phone if you hold down on the Google Map display you can see the coord, but I have to remember to hold the phone in Landscape to see all of the numbers.
    Just now I installed the app Map Coordinates. When you open the app it displays the coord and closest street address.
    The Map Coordinates app would be the easiest for me, but I need to make sure I know how to change to the app while talking on the cell phone.
    Well done Lee !!!
    Words to Ride by: Patience, Anticipate, Paranoia
    Shep Brown MOA 27510
    "Inga" '04RT, "Fronk" '78 SR500
    Pensacola, Floriduh

I'm sticking with my SPOT's.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon 7frrnSRiTt9Fk