• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Intercoms

S

Suamico GS

I am loking for a intercom for my 04 GS Adv. Anyone have a favorite? I want to run a MP-3, Cell phone and talk to my wife. I have looked at the Baeher, Autocom and Chatterbox. Am I missing any? I ride my bike for work in the summer and want something reliable, however I am cheap so I need to keep it under $500.

I like my Autocom. I got it 2 years ago. Quality is great! My only complaint is the lack of volume adjustment on the intercom (I understand this is now adjustable on the new models). I use the intercom, radio, bike-to-bike, and cell phone with it. Make sure you follow instructions with the placement of the speakers! I'm afraid you'll spend your entire budget getting a quality unit :dunno .

Good luck!

Jim

Check out the IntaRide

Hi,

I have an IntaRide RP1 intercom system with FRS/GMRS bike to bike radio. The radio was a separate add on. I love it. It works like a champ! The intercom is stereo, comes with two headsets as well as the cables for cell phone and MP3. The whole kit was just $260.00. :twirl Check them out for more info at http://www.cycle-stuff.com.

Later

I second the vote for Autocomm. I received on as a gift a couple of years ago, and waited about a year to install it.

Speaker placement and bike power are very important. I hook up a Dell DJ music player, occasionally my phone, and soon the Garmin 2610 (when the proper cable arrives from Tesseract).

I have used both Chatterbox and AutoCom, I would recommend the AutoCom. It sounds good, it works well, if you want it the cell phone interface is good. I am really picky about sound quality so for me it is well worth the money, it is the best one I have heard yet.

Also you don't have to get the ProSport7 as there are other less expensive models.

luv2ride said:
Hi,

I have an IntaRide RP1 intercom system with FRS/GMRS bike to bike radio. The radio was a separate add on. I love it. It works like a champ! The intercom is stereo, comes with two headsets as well as the cables for cell phone and MP3. The whole kit was just $260.00.

Do you use the intaride for tunes? I am most concerened about the sound!! Is there quality sound and is it possible to upgrade the speakers if they are unsatisfactory?
Need to figure out a system because my singing sounds like crap in the helmet and I am always arguing with myself :D. Gotta keep the demons @ bay and they stay away when the tunes soung good.
These message boards are real handy

imahaji said:
Do you use the intaride for tunes? I am most concerened about the sound!! Is there quality sound and is it possible to upgrade the speakers if they are unsatisfactory?
Yes, I run an iPod through mine. I wear foam ear plugs with mine, and it sounds pretty good. It is a stereo intercom. I will say you are not going to mistake the sound that is possible with good ear buds, but they are not bad. I do believe that they are really designed around voice frequencies...probably their biggest short fall is in bass response.

That being said, no reason you can't solder in a a stereo plug into the headset line and swap out the speakers for ear buds. That will definately give you the best sound.

Ditto Autocom. I received Active-7 Smart for X-mas, w. all items for rider and passenger.
Stereo music (not mono) and music quiets by 50% when speaking then re-intensifies to original level after approx 5 sec. of no voice....nice feature. Complete setup was just under $400.

Installation on RT was easy. Installation of speakers/mics in helmets was equally simple. (mine=Arai Quantum e, wife=Shoei ?)
As mentioned by others, speaker placement is important.

Volume is adjustable for voice only. Volume level from Walkman is adequate even while using foam earplugs. Cell phone volume very good/very clear...however, have not used cell phone on bike and don't intend to do-so.

Will install XM Roady next and possibly CB radio in the future

Help. Help.
I have my MotoComm headset for the FRS radio. Great little unit. The speakers fit right into the helmet, Nolan 100E. There is a velcro held foam piece at the ear, comes right out and in goes the speaker, put the foam back in place. ONLY 'problem' is the PTT, takes up considerable space on the grip. Probably re-mount to- on the switch housing.

Here is the need; I want to add the CB and the amateur radio. I am building a project box to cross the 4 din plug to the stereo jack for the head set, no problem. The problem is I have not been able to locate the female plug for the headset to plug into it. I need a 3.5 and 2.5 mm (1/8") combined plug.

My question or request is where can I find it?

Thanks for the help, Now back the 'google'in' :type

See Ya in Ohio!!!! :clap :wave

Autocom Smart 7, with Kenwood tranceiver, iPod, and cell phone. Works way better than Chatterbox. Only complaint is I don't hear the phone pick up. Is this typical or just my Motorola phone?

GA1150RT said:
Autocom Smart 7, with Kenwood tranceiver, iPod, and cell phone. Works way better than Chatterbox. Only complaint is I don't hear the phone pick up. Is this typical or just my Motorola phone?

This is normal, as far as I can tell. All the cell phones I have used have an external speaker for ringing (and other beeps). This ring tone doesn't play through the earphone (or out the earphone jack). I can usually hear the "click" when my Sanyo picks up but I wish it would ring too.

Michael

Need some advice on an intercom system. Priority is to be able to communicate with my passenger...but also interested in trying to hook up my existing cd/radio if possible. I have an R 1200 CLC with radio/cd player. Doesn't appear to be any jacks for external headsets. :dunno
Is there a unit that I can hook up with the existing cd player?
What brand intercom is reliable and reasonably priced? Any advice will be helpful.

buckeye said:
Need some advice on an intercom system. Priority is to be able to communicate with my passenger...but also interested in trying to hook up my existing cd/radio if possible. I have an R 1200 CLC with radio/cd player. Doesn't appear to be any jacks for external headsets. :dunno
Is there a unit that I can hook up with the existing cd player?
What brand intercom is reliable and reasonably priced? Any advice will be helpful.

I would suggest the Autocom system. It's reliable, has good audio quality and can connect to your CD player. You'll have to decide if it's reasonably priced. The Active 7 kit is $300 plus $120 for second headset and $70 for the "on-board stereo" interface. The interface connects to the speaker outputs.

Michael

I have used the Auto Com and have not been all that happy with it and am looking to go to the Baehr unit, that is leaps and bounds better than Auto Com. Both Auto Com and Baehr will cost you more than $500, however.

Back