• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

h4 bulb

bigsur52

04 1150RS
I nned to replace headlight bulb in 1150RS. Any recommendations for a better quality H4 bulb than stock? I don't want to go with HID or high wattage 100/60W bulb. Thanks for your input.

I nned to replace headlight bulb in 1150RS. Any recommendations for a better quality H4 bulb than stock? I don't want to go with HID or high wattage 100/60W bulb. Thanks for your input.

People like the Osram Silverstars I think it's powerbulbs in the uk that sells them. 2 pack for 15 euros shipped.

I bought some soon after I got my bike. No issues, but I try not ride at night. WAY too many deer where I live. It's rare NOT to see them at dusk when riding around in the cage.

FWIW

Great light

HID kit.JPG

I am using a Phillips that is a same watt brighter bulb type that was shipped from ebay/UK and much cheaper than here.

Unfortunately HID retrofit lights are not legal.

What about PIAA X-Treme white halogen? Are they just overpriced, or are they an improvement?

bigsur:

I had an 1150 RS and the lighting system is useless, and dangerous. If you don't want to go with a HID system, have a look at Eastern Beaver's wiring kits.

Ostram Silverstar

Excellent upgrade to the Halogen stock bulb - I use this for my high beam and am converting the low beam to HID, 'legal' or not.

I also have a pair of Piaa driving lights for really dark roads. I do not like deer.:hungover

Excellent upgrade to the Halogen stock bulb - I use this for my high beam and am converting the low beam to HID, 'legal' or not.

The Osram silverstar is a euro spec "+50" bulb. In spite of the name "silverstar" and the fact that Osram and Sylvania are the same company do NOT want the Sylvania Silverstar. It is not the same bulb (and is not as good). An Osram Silverstar equivalent is the Philips Vision Plus.

You do pay for the extra light output with slightly shorter life. I get about 10K miles per bulb (H7 -- they don't seem to last as long as the H4) using the Vision Plus on my GS. I got about 12K miles with the stock bulb.

Last edited:
Sylvania Silverstar

I had mine go out on a trip a couple weeks ago and had to replace it on a Sunday. Went to Walmart and got a Sylvania Silverstar for about $20.00. Much better light than what I had before.

Back