• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New member, but not new to BMW

DeFeldermaus

Hi all,
I am new here and I just wanted to finally say hi.:wave I have been riding for a little over 10 years. First bike was a Yamaha YZF R6. Loved it, went everywhere on it. After just a couple of years some fool decided to blow a traffic sign and drive right into me. Fortunately, I low sided and my gear took the brunt of the crash. Sadly the bike did not fair as well.

After working through some fears I decided to get back on and I bought a new to me F650GS. Liked the whole enduro look and all but felt the larger GS bikes didn't fit my in-seem so well. Loved this bike as well and road that for a while. Changed jobs and that required a fair amount of highway riding. Sadly the single pot 650 isn't the best choice for the highway.

So traded my first BMW in for a Triumph Sprint ST. I missed the days of my YZF R6 and wanted something a bit more civilized. The K1200S was a bit out of my range as I wanted to buy new, so I wound up with the Triumph. They made a good bike, lots of good features, it was quick, but a Hummer decided that it needed some frame mods. So they drove over it while sitting in a parking spot totaling the bike. But that is a story for another time.

With my insurance pay out I went back to see what to buy. For the riding I do now I would benefit more from a more standard motorcycle. Eventually I wound up buying a brand new R1200R. I do miss the HP of the Sprint and Yamaha, but the torque is nice to have on hand. The bike handles great in the city or on the highway and it has all the amenities that I could want. So I am a happy camper. Plus my wrists are thanking me.

I have been a member of the BMWCCA for about 7 years. I own a E30 M3 and a Mini Cooper S Convertible with the John Cooper Works package. Its nice to get connected to other BMW owners and I look forward to learning from everyone.

Cheers!

Welcome, Fieldmouse!

Check out the Hexhead/Camhead section in the Garage.

I'm also a bimmer/MINI owner...

Welcome, Fieldmouse!

Interesting! I am sometimes wondering what is behind the IDs. In this case, I would not have come up with the German word for "Fieldmouse" being "Feldmaus"
I was actually thinking along the lines of a spelling error and the word "Fledermaus", which is German for "Bat". The ones that fly at night, not the ones you hit a baseball with.:brow
It is funny how translations sometimes end up in the weird department. Typical example is the business that most of you are familiar with:
They took the English word for "Wingnut" and translated it to "Fl??gelnuss". Falling into the trap of the double meaning for "Nut" in German: Both "Nuss" as in walnut and "Mutter" as in Nut(s) and bolts. Wile (almost) every german would know what a "Fluegelmutter" is, "Fluegelnuss" causes raised eyebrows and blank stares.

Is a "feldmaus" not a "fieldmouse"?

Oh...wait... "DeFeldermaus" is not quite "feldmaus" nor "fledermaus" either! It would have been much more interesting if it was a "luftmaus"! That would have driven me batty! :p

Is a "feldmaus" not a "fieldmouse"?

Oh...wait... "DeFeldermaus" is not quite "feldmaus" nor "fledermaus" either! It would have been much more interesting if it was a "luftmaus"! That would have driven me batty! :p

HA HA HA, Sorry to cause all the confusion. My last name is actually Feldman which means I have a family history of farmers. DeFeldermaus came from my friends. It started one day when I showed up late for a meet and as I walked into the garage someone yelled "Hey, its De-Feldman". From there they felt it necessary to always refer to me as DeFeldman. Later it was decided that it had a nicer ring to it with an additional syllable so my name then changed to DeFelderman. Then finally after one especially long and frustrating day someone randomly changed that man to mouse and at the time was hilarious. (had to be there) And it has stuck ever since. When I spell it I changed the spelling to maus in keeping with being German and all. So now I use that as a handle.

Fellow Roadster Rider!

Welcome! I was also thinking "Fledermaus", which is an ID I use on another site. I also ride an R1200R. I bought mine with 151k miles on it and have added 10k more. Moral of the story is, if you can avoid the morons in Hummers, you will have a ridiculous amount of wonderful miles in your future!

Post a picture! I love these bikes!

T

Back