• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

top case

Totally up to you.

What are you using the top case for now and what are the plans for mounting riding which would preclude not taking it with you?

using top case for misc. my thinking was less wind problems without it. going on 1000 mile trip but really do not need top case for packing.side cases all i need, but top case would be nice

You are better off handling-wise without a top case. Especially if you will be riding in windy high desert. If you need it then that is fine, but if you don't then I would remove it.

Mine is FOR TRIPS! Why else would you have one-other than a helmet/grocery storage device?I put my queen sized mattress in there with tire pumps and so on for RA rally.Sides for clothing. Mine is a somewhat ugly Chinese affair that has earned its keep and even when the wind blows hard. Sounds like IF they make a bike unsafe to ride you shouldn't have one in the first place as how do you predict the weather on a trip?
For me it is a handy storage device and occassional backrest for pillion.

I don't think there's that much difference in keeping an empty topcase installed or removing it. It's when you load it to its maximum allowable weight, that's when there's a handling difference. But that still doesn't make it unsafe, it'll just handle differently. It's only when you load it and don't respect that weight up there is when it can get a bit difficult for an inexperienced rider. Just don't get lazy and just load the topcase and keep the side cases empty or lightly loaded.

Mountains are fun!

Think of it this way.

Every lb you add away from the center of gravity will have an effect on handling. Consider that you're talking about a case that you can load as you go and at some point it will make a difference.

Your bike will handle better without it.

Having said this how much effort have you put into getting your rear shock properly adjusted?

I'd adjust the rear shock to get a little more than 1" of sag from empty to loaded for your trip and check the rebound after a short ride. Probably want to add a lb or two of air to the tires too.

Between removing weight that's up high and back, a little suspension set up and packing the weight you carry with heaviest low and forward you'll have the best handling bike you can get which in the mountains will be more fun to ride.

I leave mine on all the time and ride in desert winds with it as well. I'm not sure whether the bike is more stable with it off, but I've always been amazed at how stable to bike is during high-winds. When I travel, which is only occasionally, I try to leave it empty, to stow the helmet at a long stop and keep the COG or COM low and farther forward. The space is handy when you pick up "just one more thing."

I used my top case as an ice chest during the '10 Rally in Redmond. Made some friends when I popped a beer outta THAT cooler...
:buds :kbasa

have 2009 rt mountain rides do leave top case on or take it off

I have the 49 liter top case and it is quite troublesome in high winds and/or higher speeds. However, I rode Colorado at the beginning of June and rented an RT with a 28 liter top case that did not affect the bike's handling at all. I was able to pack our rain gear, running shoes, and first aid kit in the smaller case. Everything in there amounted to very little weight and gave us much more space in the side bags. If anyone out there wants a 49 liter top case, I would gladly swap out for a smaller one.

I've got quite a few miles on a GT with a top case and often with a passenger. Can't say I've ever noticed a problem with side winds attributed to the top case. I'm a fan of "run what you brung..." in other words, configure the bike the same all the time, fewer surprises that way.

I've got quite a few miles on a GT with a top case and often with a passenger. Can't say I've ever noticed a problem with side winds attributed to the top case. I'm a fan of "run what you brung..." in other words, configure the bike the same all the time, fewer surprises that way.

"run what you brung" shouldn't preclude one from adjusting "what you brung" to suit the conditions of the day.

If you don't notice that any bike handles worse with 50 lbs hung out high behind the rear axle you probably ought to park your bike and walk! You've lost all feel for the thing. Spend enough time in the twisties with a fully loaded machine and you'll wish for less weight just to have more fun....

Weight down low and centered is always preferable given a choice. Less weight is always better than more.

Sometimes I ride with all 3 cases on my RT, plus the camping gear on the back seat - like when I'm going on a week or more run. Sometimes its empty cases when I go shopping locally. But when I don't have to have everything, I reduce weight though most of the time I'm carrying both sidecases- one with riding gear and tools and 1 empty. Light is always better, especially when you're out to have fun. At a rally I strip a lot of stuff off the bike and leave it in the tent when I go out for day rides.

RT crosswind susceptibility to me seems to be most impacted by a damping setting that is off. The effects of that mass out back get amplified by too soft damping OR by a death grip on the bars. Bikes are self stabilizing devices anyway - it takes a lot to get shoved around if you "ride loose" Its possible but not that common and its often possible to predict where winds of that type will be encountered.

I have the smaller case. i think it is 30 liters. I love it, it never comes off the bike. it does not effect my riding at all.

I can't see how if would effect handling , unless you have more then 15lbs in it

it is the best thing i have very bought for that bike

Guess you should listen to the pros here, they don't see the value in configuring your bike the same way to increase predictability. I only ride 20-25k a year on a GT, what would I know?

Just finished nine (9) runs on the Tail of the Dragon this past weekend (Oct. 8 - 10) with my large trunk on-board (photos all over Kilboy, HWY 129, ZeePhoto sites - I'm the RT with the flashy high-vis yellow Olympia Jacket!).

No problems with balance or aerodynamics. :thumb

Last edited:
Back