• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Where did you ride this summer?

Malaszka

Hi everyone! This forum has been pretty quiet since weve all been out riding! Now that I need to get back into the classroom I'd like to see and hear where everyone went this summer! We did four rallies and ate way too much great food for our own good! What a summer!

Attachments

• BearToothPassAug2010.jpg
    BearToothPassAug2010.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 237
Thanks for the post, Malaszka. I'll start out.
My first big ride was to the Chicken Rally in Alabama, after a ride through Mo, and Miss. Too much humidity for me.
My second and most challenging ride was from Milwaukee to Homer Alaska, solo. I continued on down to Cal., then back up to Wash. before settling at the national in Redmond.
I do have one more trip planned to the falling Leaf in Oct, and I'm thinking of doing another Lake Superior Circle ride in late Sept.

To be continued!

Well I did a few short rides this year, Madison to northern Wi a couple times. I rode around Lake Superior in late July, great ride again! This ride has become an annual event for me. In a couple days I'm leaving for Glacier National. My goal is to ride the Rockies down to Colorado and then back to Madison. It has been a great summer, my first on a BMW! I love the bike and so far have put about 7000 miles on it. I hope to end the year with about 14,000 miles on the RT. Ride safe and have fun along the way!

I'm just doing my best not to be "average" again this year.
:bluduh

Just kidding!

I rode to St Louis a couple of times, out to Oregon, then down the California coast before returning home, oh - - and a trip to Salt lake City in May. Plus a few rallies in there......

I will need new tires again soon, and summer isn't over yet! W00T! :dance

Planned Rides: Georgia Mountain Rally, Chicken Rally, ROK Rally, Pownal Vt RA Rally, Four Winds Rally, Sherando Lakes Rally.

Actual Ride: To the hospital in May for back surgery, then back to the hospital in August for several epidural injections.

Life at 70 sucks.

This year not many miles due to hubby's unexpected heart problem in May. Was all signed up for Hyder Seek but had to cancel when he failed a stress test in a big way. Layed low for a few months while he recuperated but then managed to take 10 days and ride to Coos Bay, OR and Ca coast. Prior to that we had a long weekend to Yosemite area and surrounding mountains. Rode to Morro Bay for tacos with a few friends. Planning on attending Beemer Bash this September by myself then both of us are going to try and do Fall Torrey with the BMWST group.

Attachments

• DSC01138.jpg
    DSC01138.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 202
Well, hubby and I rode to Dayton, OH for a weekend gathering of "imaginary" friends from another rider forum... We rode back separately - he was heading to a more distant site for work.

I got "lost" on the back roads of Ohio, and navigated this:

38961_1576147366762_1327947801_1560467_7997494_n.jpg

But there was a lot more of this sort of road. I stopped for a short break at this pavilion/private park:

40765_1576392452889_1327947801_1561196_2222556_n.jpg

P

In the past two weeks, I've traveled over 4,000 miles. I went from my home in Maryland, up into VT, New England, making my way over into Nova Scotia. Came back home for a brief rest before heading out to Dresden, ON Canada via WV, PA and Ohio. While in OH, I went over to Indiana and back to OH before heading home.

Why so many miles you might be wondering? Well, I have been traveling to different reported locations on The Underground Railroad. While in those areas, I found out there were more locations that I really needed to check out, but due to time constraints, I have to go back another time to devote more time to exploring. DARN! I so didn't want to have to go back and visit such interesting and fascinating areas again. Oh well, I just have to suffer through it all again. :dance

I'm still not finished with my learning journey.

This is me at the International Bridge about to enter back into the country.

Attachments

• DSCF0380.jpg
    DSCF0380.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 185
I spent a couple of weeks riding in California

953193179_9zyEE-M.jpg

The Pacific Ocean near Cambria

953452533_sVrMH-M.jpg

Rode over Sherman Pass from 395 to Kernville-ish

954901730_7GMVL-M.jpg

and Yosemite

I haven't processed all my pictures, yet:blush

Planned Rides: Georgia Mountain Rally, Chicken Rally, ROK Rally, Pownal Vt RA Rally, Four Winds Rally, Sherando Lakes Rally.

Actual Ride: To the hospital in May for back surgery, then back to the hospital in August for several epidural injections.

Life at 70 sucks.

But oh, the places you've been!

And the ones you're still going to go to!

Healing hugs! :hug

Voni

This year not many miles due to hubby's unexpected heart problem in May. Was all signed up for Hyder Seek but had to cancel when he failed a stress test in a big way. Layed low for a few months while he recuperated but then managed to take 10 days and ride to Coos Bay, OR and Ca coast. Prior to that we had a long weekend to Yosemite area and surrounding mountains. Rode to Morro Bay for tacos with a few friends. Planning on attending Beemer Bash this September by myself then both of us are going to try and do Fall Torrey with the BMWST group.

Hyderseek will be there next year. In the meantime it's great to see you're still sMiling!

Voni
sMiling too

Starting with the National Rally of Texas last spring and wildflower seeking, Paul and I have done a sMelling the roses kind of summer. The Blitz to Branson in April put me in touch with my dreamed of F800S, Rocket J. Squirrel. She's amazing!

We spent lots of time in British Columbia (but not Hyder cause of the cold and rain) and visited our grandboys and daughter and son in the midwest in between the Lunatic Fringe Rally and the National in Redmond and our exploring the Black Hills, the Big Horns, the Colorado Rockies and all too soon the Sipapu Rally in New Mexico. Almost time to head back to the adobe . . .

DSCF2895.jpg

What a marvelous country we have! And it's a gift to be able to see it from the back roads.

Voni
sMiling

Wow! All these amazing journeys! I wish I had time to just ride and write!

Firebird, your trip sounds so powerful! Did you document it? Was it professional research? Will you write about it?

Soph9, yes, the South Dakotans are crazy when they ride w/o helmets! Especially the ones in flip flops! They laugh at us but if you've ever seen road rash it doesn't bother you to hear them!

Something to do for the heat . . . . get an evaporative vest, an evapodana from Aerostich, and a mesh tex jacket. You can ride in air conditioned comfort for about an hour then replenish the water.

Voni and Sue, you two set the bar pretty high for the rest of us! I hope to attain Voni-hood some day!

Remember if any of you are on your way through the Black Hills, let me know! If I can't host you i can at least send you in the right direction!

These stories and photos will be great reading through the long cold winter!

Here's the rest of my story! We started out on July 11 for the National, went from Redmond to the Washington rally in Menlo! Great folks, location, food! We usually go to Paonia so we did miss all out CO buddies. Then on to eat our way up the coast! Seattle, Friday Harbor, Bellingham. On to Northport, WA where I had built a straw bale house years ago. Then dipped into ID for the Stomp. I won the grand prize of an Olympia aerflow jacket! Gloat, gloat! Pictured attached! Then up to Missoula my old stomping grounds, Bozeman, Billings, (Michael Franti at the Magic City Blues Fest!) then home. It was supposed to be a month long trip but it was more like weeks. We were home for 2 days and I asked Doug if we could do just one more before I get my wings clipped for the year. So, off to the Beartooth Rendezvous. Home at last! Almost 7,000 miles! And 5 pounds heavier!

Attachments

• BearToothPass2Aug2010.jpg
    BearToothPass2Aug2010.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 138
I didn't get to take take all the trips I had planned. Only made two Rallys this year, BMWMOA and MGNOC (Guzzi National). Work always seemed to get in the way.

Did a short 520 mile local trip on our 250 cc Honda Rebels last weekend, just a quick overnight ride to Curlew Lake, WA. Thinking about doing something Labor Day weekend since that is my normal 4 day weekend (I work very strange hours....). We'll probably head to Oregon and find some back roads we've never been on.

Spouse managed to do a couple of the Guzzi rallies, the BMW National and even did back to back Iron Butts (a SS1000 on the way out and a BB1500 on the way home) to visit family in MN last month. And he's headed back in two weeks. ~sigh~ He gets all the fun.

I do manage to ride to work every day, though. Well, as long as there's no ice on the roads.

We start our shift bids for next year on Monday, we'll see what I get. Hopefully, it'll be a little more conducive to my much needed weekend rides.

Just did a mileage calculation last night, 10,641 miles! Never had so much fun! I guess I'll have to retire before I can reach "Voni-dom"! :laugh

Attachments

• DionneDeborahRushmoreSmall9.10.jpg
    DionneDeborahRushmoreSmall9.10.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 131
Just did a mileage calculation last night, 10,641 miles! Never had so much fun! I guess I'll have to retire before I can reach "Voni-dom"! :laugh

That's a pretty respectable year, Malaszka. And retirement is still not enough to get into Voni-dom. I've tried, the last few years since I retired, to no avail.:banghead
Voni is the queen of sMiles. (But I'll keep trying.)

My wife and I had a wonderful trip to Nova Scotia.

We stayed in Baddeck, Cape Breton for 5 days and experienced some great riding

The day we did the Cabot trail must have been the best day of the year

It was also her first long trip (on her own bike) and we had a blast!

DSC02331.jpg

And the picture does not do the day justice

DSC02333.jpg

I camped out at the Winter Rally in Camp Blanding, FL, with the B-Cubed group at Daytona, missed the Rally at Redmond, and traveled out to Shady Cove OR in August to purchase a Bushtec trailer (Fleamarket item). Visited with friends in Copperas Cove, TX. I will attend Bike-toberfest in Daytona and the Sunbeemers Rally in Venice , FL. Ride Safe :usa :usa

Back