• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2 Women, 2 bikes, 17 States, 5 Provinces, 23 riding days, 11870 KM

Heidenau K60's...they are awesome and last forever...well not forever but we still have the trip tires on and they have over 15000 KM on them and the BMW service guy said maybe another 3000 km more.:thumb

thanks!

and update on my tires...going on 16000KM and still not in a hurry to change them yet!:)

Epic is right. Thanks for showing us how it's done. :thumb I can't believe I missed this report the first time. Must have been napping back in August.

thanks....it was fun to document and I find myself reading this RR and just wanting to be back on the road versus working....we are now beginning to plan our next adventure....while this trip was not really planned....meaning we just went day by day....our next journey has to be planned and sure will be an interesting BIG adventure if we can get the time off from work and of course the funds.....should happen though....

;)

You gals come down south, give me a holler. this is my garage fridge.......

979406443_jjGHD-M.jpg

Love the look of that fridge!:drink

great trip, great pics. the beauty of having two of the same bike is you only need one set of spare parts, tools etc. i have been toying with the idea of getting a new bike and the twin cyl F650GS is at the head of my list. thanks for sharing this with everyone.

Excellent trip, photos and trip report! Great ride!

Also you covered two specific items of interest to me and those were the KOA Cabins and the K60 tires. The cabins looked great.... how were they?

RobStar
"Drooling in Las Vegas"

well the KOA cabins were a great relief at times....although the "true" adventure rider might call us wimps we loved them. Like I have said, each trip we will take will have it's own purpose and whether or not we rough it will be up to the route and weather.

we have no issues with taking it easy at times because after all when you ride or go away, it is a holiday after all.....;)

Forgive me for taking so long to respond, but I really enjoyed your stories, your photographs and the videos. You had one excellent ride. Not being to get on the road much this year, your post allowed me to enjoy the ride from my desk.

(How long did the GPS stay in the doghouse after leading you down that mud track? Kudos to you for getting the bikes out upright from that trail.)

Thanks...I really enjoy writing the report and looking forward to our next summer trip!

What a GREAT trip report! I'm so glad that you made out OK after that scare on the highway - as many point out, hydration and blood sugar levels are important, but we also have to be cautious of a phenomena called "microsleep" that can afflict us when doing long trips, especially if sleeping patterns are disrupted.

Thank you for the entertaining, educational, and well photographed report - it is obvious that you both are up to the challenge, and a good match for riding through life. May you both enjoy many more (s)miles on your shiny BMWs..

we make a great riding pair with no issues or competition....we do get on each others nerves at times but like anything else that is when you just shut the intercom off and ride with nothing but your own thoughts and autonomy....well at least until someone has to pee and break the silence!;)

Wonderful read!!

Just finished reading through the entire report! Thanks to Boxermaf for alerting me to this most entertaining and uplifting write-up. Any reason you put up a tarp over the tent? Any difficulty with the fuel pak mounting through the top box? Leakage at all from rain into the top box? I assume the holes had rubber washers. Will you leave the mounting on the top box? What gas range were you generally getting with the bikes?
The tire brand doesn't ring any bells...where did you get them? Sure sound the bees knees!!

Gotta admire your bravery for riding those dirt roads while on tour.

Gotta agree that having the almost perfect riding partner (impossible to be perfect??!!) would sure make the trip safer and more enjoyable. I had a wee problem in Sask. coming back to ON from the Gillette WY. National BMW rally in 2008 on a twin F650GS. If I had been with someone I might not have lost the bike and the gear. BMW's don't shut off automatically when horizontal! Oops! Microsleeps are insidious things. Dr. Don Arthur has investigated the phenomenon quite extensively. Might want to google him and his Long Distance Riding article for interest sake.

I got back from riding down to VT and NH, taking in the RA then went to Cape Breton and I've got itchy feet already...and winter looms but Fall colours are peaking now! All the best to you both and thanks again for a couple of hours pure enjoyment! Better than raking leaves, that's for sure!

Sue
'83 R65LS and '09 Triumph Bonneville SE in the Brrrrm Closet!

I am really looking forward to hearing where you two might head next year and slot it into my reading schedule for next Fall!!!

Just finished reading through the entire report! Thanks to Boxermaf for alerting me to this most entertaining and uplifting write-up. Any reason you put up a tarp over the tent? Any difficulty with the fuel pak mounting through the top box? Leakage at all from rain into the top box? I assume the holes had rubber washers. Will you leave the mounting on the top box? What gas range were you generally getting with the bikes?
The tire brand doesn't ring any bells...where did you get them? Sure sound the bees knees!!

The tarp went on just in case it rained and we were going to try to keep some of the water off the fly..no issues with the fuel mount...we made sure we used washers and silicone, no water leakage in any of our hard cases....thanks Al Jesse for making decent luggage....gas range was bad heading east....head winds hindered our fuel economy dripping it from 4.1 to 5.2 at times per 100 KM. On the way back back to normal at about 4 litres per 100KM or around 62 + miles per gallon.

The tires are awesome they are K60's and if they can be found in stock are no being carried by many dealers because of their reputation. We are mounting new tires this weekend after this set has over 18000 KM on them.

Our next trip our Northern Way Up Trek is shaping up and will be July - August 2011...BC, Alaska, Yukon and NWT....over 12500 KM and although we have some planning to do we will also be taking this trip day to day....stay tuned!:bikes

:lurk:lurk:lurk:scratch Hurry up and start the next rode trip will ya...cant wait to read and see it.
Great trip ladies.

Back