• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Contego Direct

BMWFirstTimer

NicenEasyRider
Has anyone had an opportunity yet to file a claim under a Contego Direct extended warranty? If so, how was the experience? The warranty on my 07 RT will be running out in about 6-7 weeks and I'm debating whether to go with the extended warranty from Contego. The price seems reasonable enough but that would, of course, depend on how good the service is from them when you have a claim. :confused:

I haven't personally.. but I've spoken with 2 people who have, and their experiences were satisfactory. You do want to get the policy in effect before your warranty runs out because there are changes in the coverage vs non-warranty bikes.

And of course - the disclaimer - YMMV.

This does not apply in your case, but be careful when you buy the Contego Warranty. Unlike those sold by BMW dealers, it starts the date you purchase it, not on the date the BMW warranty expires. I found out the hard way. Had over 1year left on the BMW warranty when I purchased the Contego. I essentially paid for a 2 year warranty instead of a 3 year warranty.

Lets see how they handle my refund, and then I will comment on their product. They severely castigated me for assumming an EXTENDED Warranty did not mean extending the BMW warranty from the date of its expiration.

Excellent point Tom - I had thought to ask about the effective date. And there is one additional catch which I never resolved with them. The effective date is different from the actual coverage date. They won't cover repairs done within the first 30 days of the policy (I assume so people don't have a broken bike insured..) - so if you have a 36 month policy, in effect - you're covered for 35 months.

I worked it out so the effective policy date was 30 days before my BMW warranty expired, giving me continuous coverage.

Just a heads up - remember - insurance companies don't make money by giving money away. And they do this everyday and have a lot of experience at it.

I too have a warranty expiring soon on a '07 RT. Tried to get an estimate from Contego. Results....."There are no products available for this vehicle". Either their web site is messed up or they are "cherry picking" what models they cover. I say that because coverage is available for my '09 GS. So much for that idea. I'll try another company.

Buck Lemme
Vienna, Illinois

I too have a warranty expiring soon on a '07 RT. Tried to get an estimate from Contego. Results....."There are no products available for this vehicle". Either their web site is messed up or they are "cherry picking" what models they cover. I say that because coverage is available for my '09 GS. So much for that idea. I'll try another company.

Buck Lemme
Vienna, Illinois

Buck, give them a call and talk to a live person. Your bike should be covered.

Buck and I have discussed this off-line, and I contacted someone in Contego who I talked to before getting my policy. His bike is covered.. the website software is fubar'ed.. Buck now has the terms and contact info. I'm sure he'll update this thread once he has talked to them himself.

First let me apologize for jumping to an erroneous conclusion regarding Contego Direct. My '07 RT is in fact covered by a plan. Seems they have a glitch in the software that was not letting me get an online quote.

MOA Ambassador and Forum Moderator, Don Eilenberger jumped in to get this sorted out. Many thanks to Don for his assistance!

The response from Contego Direct read, in part, "Contact me if he or anyone EVER has issues. I can run the numbers through a web site I have that has access directly to our underwriter in order to overcome any issues and assure you that plans ARE available".

Adam Bonislawski
Director of Sales
Contego Direct

www.contegodirect.com
support@contegodirect.com
(866) 629-6576
(586) 276-0907 Fax

Don...thanks again for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Buck Lemme
Vienna, Illinois

Buck,

No problem. All it took was an email. :)

I'm going to move this over to.... ummmm... perhaps "GEAR" since memberops is for members who have something to sell that might make life easier for other members (or something like that..)

Hang on.. and Please keep hands and feet inside the thread until it comes to a complete stop - for your safety and protection! (Spent too much time a DisneyWorld)

Back