Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: K75S Handling Question

rwat3003

K75S Handling Question

I have now put a few miles on my new to me 93 K75 and I have noticed that it is overly sensitive to ruts and grooves in the road surface. Is that normal for this bike or do I have a problem?

Thanks,

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by rwat3003 View Post
    I have now put a few miles on my new to me 93 K75 and I have noticed that it is overly sensitive to ruts and grooves in the road surface. Is that normal for this bike or do I have a problem?

Thanks,

Doc
    What tires are on the bike?

If the tires tend to track the grooves, the K75 frame will allow that up to the handlebars and the seat.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

rwat3003
    I have Metzler "lasertech" on both front and back. The front looks to be almost new and the rear is a bit worn.

Thanks,

Doc

I recently picked up a '91 K75s and have the same tires. After I got the bike running I noticed the same issue and was not sure of the cause. I got the bike running well so I have replaced the tires of unknown age (at least ten years old) the front looked good wear wise and the rear was worn. I replaced with new lasertech as I did not trust the old tires and the "following the crack" tendency is gone. I thought it was the front tire but now feel that it was probably the worn rear.

Check the triple clamps' pinch bolts. This is particularly important on bikes with Showa forks-K75s built from 1992-1995.

rwat3003
    Thanks, I have a new rear tire that I have not mounted yet and I will check the pinch bolts. It sounds like the problem is not just a characteristic of the K75.

Doc

BUDDINGGEEZER
    Quote Originally Posted by rwat3003 View Post

Thanks,

Doc
    Before reading further, I would have guessed Metezler Lazertecs, simply because the front tire has a center groove running the circumference of the tire. Guess What? You are running Lazertecs. I was right

NOT ALL but most tires with the center groove will track rain grooves in the pavement regardless the make or model of the bike.

Ralph Sims

rwat3003
    I don't understand the issue with the Lasertech tires. My buddy has the same tires on his K1100 RS and he does not have the problem. Is there something about those tires on a K75 that makes the problem worse? I understand the concept of a center rib following the rain grooves, but I have 9 other bikes, all with a center groove on the front tire, and none of them feel like this one.

Thanks,

Doc

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    It's not just K75 bikes, it's not just a particular brand of tire, and it applies to both front and rear tires.

I used to ride a K75S, and now I ride a R1150RTP. Both will track the longitudinal "rain grooves" when a tire is worn. A worn tire is a tire with a "flatter" contact patch. This "flatter" contact patch intersects more of the grooves, applying more lateral forces to the tire and causing the tire to wander around the grooves.

I've experienced the phenomenon with both worn front and rear tires. It's simply one more indication that your tire(s) might be worn and in need replacement.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

rwat3003
    Thanks, I will get the rear tire changed out this weekend and see if that helps. I am not really concerned with rain grooves on highways. My problem is with irregular pavement surfaces. The bike seems to want to wander. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Doc

Mendocino, CA USA about as far left as you can get in the lower 48
    Wandering around on rutted roads....I get the feeling it is somewhat tire profile related, but all my bikes (and cars for that matter) wander up and down the nodes and troughs of rutted pavement, depending on How rutted. But the ruts tend to simulate the bike leaning into a curve with the contact offcenter, and thus that side thrust on your gyro causes it to turn/wander. US-1 between here and Ft. Bragg is Very rutted with 2"+ open graded AC worn to the prior course in each wheel track, we get lots of wandering - totally unrelated to our County's largest cash crop or to its second cash crop of wine grapes..... Loose or overtight steering heads might complicate the wandering as well?
    Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS >138,000 miles -- Black, 01/10/2000 to present
    Gone: White '09 K1300S sold @ 22k mi, Black '93 K1100RS traded @ 78k mi, Red '85 K100RS sold @ 44k mi, '06 Kaw 650R chrome yellow track bike sold http://www.seagullbb.com/

Boone, NC (Mountains of Western North Carolina)

K75S Handling Question

I too had a problem on a 1994 K75 with the bike feeling like it was following every grove and patch in pavement. I really began to bother me because I did not know if it was normal. It was a bit "unnerving." It had an Avon Venom front tire and Avon Roadmaster rear tire. I changed the front tire to a Bridgestone BT45 and problem is gone. The Avon had about 1/3 to 1/2 of the original tread depth left. I also bought a BT45 for the rear, but have not changed it yet. Bike handles much better now.

rwat3003
    Now I wish I had not bought that new Metzler for the rear.

3 Red Bricks
    Go find some nice canyons and burn up the Metzlers then put some Bridgestone BT-45s on. Problem solved.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

rwat3003
    Problem solved! I changed my worn rear Metzler tire to a new Metzler and the wander and uncertain feel is gone. It really did not look that worn until I compared it to the new tire. Thanks for all of the help and suggestions, I had no idea that the rear tire would be the solution. Just a bit more routine maintenance and the bike will be up to speed.

Doc