• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Spidering and motorcycle parking

If it doesn't fit it doesn't belong there.
I wouldn't park my work van in a spot for a subcompact car....

Using this logic then, they will have to put up a sign on the motorcycle parking saying two wheel motorcycle only...then I'll park elsewhere.

Dave H
San Antonio, Tx

Same thing a person using an infant to drive in an HOV lane.
Hardly qualifies as a 2nd person as in reducing traffic which is the intent of the law.

Again... Just 'cause you can doesn't mean you should.

There is a HOV between Montr?®al and my place that requires three people on board. When I have the kids (5+7) in the hack (or the car), I do not hesitate to use the lane. I do not consider my children as fractions of people...each one is a complete person, and I count them as such.

There is a HOV between Montr?®al and my place that requires three people on board. When I have the kids (5+7) in the hack (or the car), I do not hesitate to use the lane. I do not consider my children as fractions of people...each one is a complete person, and I count them as such.

I understand. But is their being in a carpool lessen the use of cars?
The intent was to reduce cars on the road by getting commuters in less cars.
Not to make it convenient to circumnavigate traffic.

Wherein lies the paradox.

So just to throw some lacquer thinner on the fire....

If you own, register, and operate a motor vehicle (be it two, three, or four wheeled) on public streets, do you feel that you have a right to operate your bicycle on public streets WITHOUT registering (and paying) it?

The vehicle is what is registered, not the owner. Otherwise one would pay only one registration fee, regardless of the number of bicycles one owned.

[current argument raging locally about the city requiring owners to register their bicycles to help offset the cost of bicycle lanes, parking racks, etc.] The counter-argument being: I register my motor vehicles, bicycles are good for the environment, I shouldn't have to pay for them.

"Free" parking space per vehicle .. who cares how many bikes can be squeezed into it?

"Metered" parking space .. one per customer?

Tell that to your six year old on Christmas morning over their 1st bike. What age should this begin? Should there be an age restriction on bicycle use on public roads?

Nah.

I'm just talking about 'responsible' parking practices.
No hijacks into superlatives.

So just to throw some lacquer thinner on the fire....

If you own, register, and operate a motor vehicle (be it two, three, or four wheeled) on public streets, do you feel that you have a right to operate your bicycle on public streets WITHOUT registering (and paying) it?

The vehicle is what is registered, not the owner. Otherwise one would pay only one registration fee, regardless of the number of bicycles one owned.

[current argument raging locally about the city requiring owners to register their bicycles to help offset the cost of bicycle lanes, parking racks, etc.] The counter-argument being: I register my motor vehicles, bicycles are good for the environment, I shouldn't have to pay for them.

"Free" parking space per vehicle .. who cares how many bikes can be squeezed into it?

"Metered" parking space .. one per customer?

I understand. But is their being in a carpool lessen the use of cars?
The intent was to reduce cars on the road by getting commuters in less cars.
Not to make it convenient to circumnavigate traffic.

Wherein lies the paradox.

If someone meets the criteria...why not use the lane. Should I sit in traffic, having two passengers on board, while other more 'worthy' people zip past? I don't think so.

Taxis are allowed in the HOV lanes. By carrying only one pasenger, a vehicule is added to the HOV lane. That customer has, for all intents and purposes, bought his way into the HOV lane. Maybe we should not allow taxis with less than 2 passengers.

Should unemployed/retired people be allowed? They can travel at other times.

If a child does not count as one, should a 400lb person count as two?

It gets complicated when you attempt to deny rights/privileges to certain groups of people and try to make too many rules.

Allow me to re-phrase it.

"Licensed Drivers"

An infant in a car seat does NOT remove a car off the road.
Again, the INTENT of HOV lanes.

It's got NOTHING to do w/ a persons value.

Besides... It's a parking thread... Not an HOV thread.
I'm done.

:laugh

As to you as well!

So, if the passenger does not have a license, they are not allowed in the HOV lane...getting more complicated!
You brought up HOV lanes. I thought you wanted to 'go there'.
OK
I'm probably just cranky because I didn't get out riding this weekend.
Have a good week.

Parking

Years ago several of us went to Gatlinburg, TN. The town is a tourist mecca and has metered parking on the streets. Four of us parked our bikes in one car space and when we returned, the city had generously issued us all a parking citation. I've not been back there. I don't know about now, but then (1986) there were no motorcycle parking places. There was for bicycles though, and they were free.

In Toronto, put as many motorcycles as possible in a single city parking spot and don't pay the meter. The parking is free. :bow

All cities parking and toll booth entry should be equally friendly (free) to motorcycles (in my humble opinion). :ca

Back