• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Riding suit change?

Jon

Wave to motorcycle cops
Glad to hear opinions on this swap, I have been wearing an Aerostitch 2 pc Roadcrafter for two years, I like it and it has only failed me in being versatile in very hot weather and being a true rain suit. I am considering the Olympia X-Moto jacket and pants, the combination seems to cover more aspects and is advertised that it can be used as a rain suit. I like getting my Aerostitch catalogbut the suit isnt getting it done perfect.

Glad to hear opinions on this swap, I have been wearing an Aerostitch 2 pc Roadcrafter for two years, I like it and it has only failed me in being versatile in very hot weather and being a true rain suit. I am considering the Olympia X-Moto jacket and pants, the combination seems to cover more aspects and is advertised that it can be used as a rain suit. I like getting my Aerostitch catalogbut the suit isnt getting it done perfect.

I have been wearing the Olympia X-Moto combination since March - awesome apparel.

Don't take my word for it - visit an Olympia dealer and try on these garments - I think you'll be impressed.

Good Luck!:bikes

You could buy my rally pro suit that does not fit anymore size 54 I lost a lot of weight but the Rally pro suit is great in all kind of weather

Not a believer in jackets or suits as rain gear.

Riding in weather from 20s to 100 with high humidity for many years has taught me that nothing is better in rain for comfort and protection than a good GoreTex rain suit (most other types are too bulky or don't breathe so you get as wet with them on as not, The rain gear is always in the side case and is a 20 yr old LL Bean jacket and newer Cabelas pants.). I change the suit underneath depending on season- mesh for hot and humid and non-mesh for steady below 60-65 weather. Mine are RevIt but other brands would work as well.

I prefer 2 piece with no waterproof liner for most uses though the liner or an electric jacket are handy in cold weather. I've got a 1 piece Roadcrafter that is great for a 20 mile run to work in moderate weather (fast on and off over work clothes) including rain but not when its really hot. Sometimes use it for a day ride but basically I think a 1 piece lacks versatility and don't take it on multi-day rides.

An item I also recommend is the Roadgear phase change material jacket. It has replaced my fleece stuff as an underlayer and as an evening at camp jacket on my bike because it is more compact. I also have used it to help keep my shoulders warm when using a lightwweight sleeping bag in below 50 weather. Not cheap though.

I have an Olympia Phantom and Stealth. The Phantom is a one piece waterproof suit with optional warmth liner. It opens plenty of vents for good airflow. I spray it once a season with a waterproofing spray from REI and it hold tight in torrential rains and all day rains. So, I'm just saying that I'm very happy with the Olympia brand. I lowsided and they sent me some free scrap material to patch the tear, too.

I have been wearing the Olympia X-Moto combination since March - awesome apparel.

These are some great suggestions - many thanks.

Although I've been shopping around, I am fairly lost when it comes to selecting the right suit. Prior to the GS I always rode sport bikes and leather two piece "racing suits" were great.

Now, I really need to get a riding suit because (1), I feel like a dork wearing a racing suit while riding around on the GS, and (2), I want to do some long rides which will inevitably involve cold weather, wet, hot - I believe I need something more than my racing leathers will provide.

My current set of leathers has airflow perforations - this is nice to have in hot weather but I need something that's good for cold and rain as well.

I am not confident "one suit does everything well" exists. I also don't want to make a bad decision and end up getting stuck w/something I don't like. It seems very easy to select something that won't fit, or doesn't provide adequate ventilation, or proper rain protection, or reasonable safety, or is uncomfortable, or doesn't last, or whatever.

Any additional recommendations or suggestions will be most appreciated.

I've been down this road for the past several years and finally gave up on finding the Holy Grail of suits. There are several pants and jackets gathering dust in my closet. There are only two hanging next to my helmets.

1: Rev'It mesh pants with liners and the BMW hi-viz mesh jacket with liner. I'm not a fan of rain liners so have a one piece BMW rainsuit that goes over the top of everything when it's wet. It also makes a great windlayer in cold weather. This is my most versatile ensemble.

2: One piece Stich in red with gray ballistics. IMO this one is absolutely unbeatable for commuting or for long distance riding in cool to moderate temps...and absolutely miserable in hot and humid conditions.

If I had to choose one it would be the two piece mesh with liners and rainsuit for the sheer versatility.

But since my main ride is a sidecar I have the luxury of taking both. The unused suit goes under the dog bed to give him some extra padding. :D

I wear a Rallye 2 Pro jacket and Streetguard 2 pants and am very happy with both of them. They're comfortable to wear and the jacket provides plenty of ventilation for all but the hottest weather. I rely on a one-piece BMW rain suit for wet weather riding.

When it's very hot (90+ F), I switch to a Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 mesh jacket.

I made the switch. Now riding the Olympia X-Moto with high Vis stripe. The Aerostitch 2 pc Roadcrafter had many nice appointments but just too hot this summer and evey rainstorm a wet crotch, so ebay for it's next stop, about 50 hours use.

As for hot weather, I am a new convert to the LD comfort shirt soaked in water with my jacket 100% closed, letting the air in through the sleeves & out the neck. It was amazing in Redding, CA at 110 degrees coming home from Redmond. Sure beats the mesh I had been wearing.

I have been wearing an Aerostitch 2 pc Roadcrafter for two years...

I'm on my second Aerostitch 2 pc Roadcrafter since buying my first in 1992.

But that suit has been unchanged and is very long in the tooth and should have been improved a few times over the years.

Unfortunately, choices here are very limited compared to Europe. I will be looking at Halvarssons riding gear the next time I am looking to buy a suit.

Biker Land

I don't think there is a "perfect suit". I wear my one-piece Aerostich Roadcrafter year-round. The only "problem" is that it gets a bit warm when the temperature exceeds approximately 70 degrees. It's been reliably warm and waterproof for three Seattle winters, and I've worn it in temps between 10 degrees and 100 degrees. As long as I'm moving, enough air flows through the suit to keep me comfortable. Slow down the pace and things start to heat up rapidly.

I've been contemplating the purchase of a mesh suit or jacket and pants combo for wearing during warm weather. Motoport products are VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. http://www.motoport.com/Home I have a Joe Rocket mesh jacket, but I'd like protection for my legs and the Joe Rocket product isn't very well-made.

Motoport products aren't cheap, but then neither are skin grafts. For me, price isn't a deciding factor when it comes to safety gear.

Last edited:
I originally bought a well used (c. 1986 - no DoB inside the breast pocket) Aerostich Roadcrafter 2-piece in 1994 and fell in love with it. I won a new one at the 1998 Georgia Mountain Rally, and a year later crashed in it destroying it in the process. To say I was happy with its crash protectiveness would be a massive understatement.

When I started riding again I bought a BMW Kalihari suit but immediately went back to the old grey (greyish green actually) Roadcrafter. This last year I did upgrade the pads to all new and washed it with the NikWax, but it is basically as comfortable and waterproof as it was when made 24 years ago (just remember to pull up on the pants front belt line after sitting on the bike else you'll get a wet crotch in rain.)

I will agree with all that it can be a sauna on hot days, especially when stuck in traffic. This summer I started wearing the BMW suit more and more because it feels more form-fitting and is much cooler on hot days, but still go to the Stich when touring regardless of the heat.

I originally bought a well used (c. 1986 - no DoB inside the breast pocket) Aerostich Roadcrafter 2-piece in 1994 and fell in love with it.

DoB inside the breast pocket?!? I just looked at my c. 2007 Roadcrafter two-piece, and find nothing inside the breast pocket.

I'd be really concerned if your suit had an expiration date!

ItÔÇÖs funny how the search for the best multi weather gear continues for all of us.

I have my Rally II for summer commuting and touring; I do carry the BMW Klimakomfort rain suit to throw on if it looks like extended rain riding for the day.

I just bought my first Roadcrafter, a two piece. It is intended to be a daily commuter for fall, winter and spring.

Over many decades of riding I have accumulated a pretty good collection of old, almost worn out motorcycle jackets and pants. I need to take some of them down to the Goodwill store; IÔÇÖm sure some broke college kid or new motorcyclist could use an inexpensive jacket or pants.

DoB inside the breast pocket?!? I just looked at my c. 2007 Roadcrafter two-piece, and find nothing inside the breast pocket.
I'd be really concerned if your suit had an expiration date!

Haha - not expiration, creation :)

They started writing the creation date with a sharpie on the inside of the outer breast pocket I guess around 1988 according to the Aerostich folks. Not long after I bought it in 1994 I called to ask about getting a zipper fixed and when I told her it was an old one she asked me to look inside the pocket for the creation date. When I told her there was none she asked me about velcro placement and after getting that info told me it was made in the first couple years they were making them, estimated 1986.

It was in the '98 black Roadcrafter I won, I guess they must have stopped doing that some time after 1998.

Here it is in action earlier this year:
877603461_h29XE-L.jpg

Back