• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Where to stay, N. Shore, Lake Superior

B

bkwags

Going to take a trip around the BIG Lake. Any suggestions on where to stay, both camping and motels. Also good places to eat and have a cup of Joe would be appreciated as well.

Will be cutting across Michigan at Milwaukee, spending a few days with friends near Traverse City. Then heading out to meet up with my riding partner in Sault St Marie and around the top we go. Hope to average 300 miles per day. I want to stop enjoy the scenery. Looping around the bottom and over towards Rhinelander WI before I head back to Madison.

Thanks for all the wonderful advice so far!!!
BKWags

BKWAGS - I'm moving this to the Midwest Regional forum - I suspect that's a much better fit for this topic.

Hang on.. thread move in progress..

Great camping in Lake Superior Provincial Park just up from the SOO. The lakeside spots are generally full in summer but those on the other side of the park usually have a few openings.

Great camping in the Boundary Waters on the Gunflint Trail. Dont miss Split Rock Lighthouse and Tetagouche State Park in Minnesota north of Duluth.
You will have a blast!

Lake Superior Circle Trip

If you're starting the "Circle" from the east side, there is a nice place to stop for a snack/coffee just north of Sault Ste Marie in Batchawana Bay called, The Voyageurs' Lodge, which has a nice view of the lake and good food/snacks. I'd suggest lodging for the night in Wawa which has a lot of places to choose from including, The Best Northern Motel and the Wawa Motor Inn. There is a decent restaurant in town that the inn-keeper can provide you with the name. Also, a coffee/donut place just off of the highway that is the Canadian version of Duncan Donuts. From Wawa to Thunder Bay it gets pretty desolate, however there are places along the way to stop for a rest and/or gas-up... but not great eating. All along the route there are Provincial Parks that offer camping. I would recommend that you get a hold of a "Circle Tour " map which calls them out. Thunder Bay is pretty sizable city with lots of lodging options. I'd recommend "Googling" it for choices that fit your budget. The North Shore of Minnesota has tons of options for eating, snacks, lodging and camping. etc. If you can make it past Thunder Bay, Grand Marais, MN is an excellent place to lodge with plenty of motels, a municipal campground that is motorcycle friendly, and great restaurant options some of which have been already mentioned. Check out the "Gunflint Tavern" for good food & drink. They also have a good coffee house called the Java Moose in town. There are places all along Hwy 61 to Duluth, MN. On the south side of the lake you might want to lodge in or near Hurley, WI/Ironwood, MI. There is a little motel in Ironwood, MI called The Indianhead Motel which is very reasonable (about $40). And, just down the Hwy is a restaurant with decent Italian and American fare. Enjoy your trip!

If you are staying in the Wawa area, I would recommend the Long Beach Bed and Breakfast. It is accessed from Michipicoten River Road just south of Wawa. Dinner can be included by arrangement with the owner. Well worth the short section of gravel road for access. (No issues on the road with a K1200LT). I stayed there twice this summer travelling to and returning from western Canada. This is a log style home/lodge right on the shores of Lake Superior. Contact 705-856-4286 to make reservations and any meal arrangements, as well as for more complete directions. As spectacular as the lodge and the location is, the meals are equally impressive. I hope this finds you in time before you have already completed your trip.
Ross McClure

Last edited:
Clean and very affordable.

Ironwood, MI, Quinn Motel, W US Hwy 2, 124 W Cloverland Drive 906-932-4421

Thunder Bay, Ont, Kings Motel 540 Cumberland Street North, Thunder Bay, ON P7A4S3 (807) 344-7269 (866) 254-5768 (toll-free)

Wawa, Ont, The Beaver Motel

Enjoy the scenic ride.

Back