• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Lost half of my Scala Teamset!

ANDYVH

Well, actually, I lost the helmet in which the passenger portion of the Scala Teamset was installed. The helmet managed to get out from under the crossed Rok-Straps I had over the helmet on the rear seat of my R1100RS last night.

So, helmet and passenger 1/2 of my Teamset are gone. I re-rode the 30 mile ride in hopes of finding something to salvage, to no avail.

Then the question is, I'll replace the passenger helmet, and install a Scala Q2 to it. I should be able to pair the Q2 to my rider portion of the Scala Teamset right? Both have the voice systems, but the rider portion of the Teamset won't be able to communicate with another Q2 on my brother's bike. Because it would have to be paired to his Q2.

But, I'm thinking when I ride solo on my bike, along with my brother, I can put the Q2 on my helmet in place of the Rider Teamset unit, and pair it to the Q2 on his helmet. Then he and I can talk bike-to-bike. Then when I ride 2-up, the Rider Teamset back on my helmet should work with the Q2 on my passenger's helmet. I'll just have to pair them each time I switch them.

Am I right on this before I go out and buy a single Q2 for the new helmet I am buying for my passenger?

Well, actually, I lost the helmet in which the passenger portion of the Scala Teamset was installed. The helmet managed to get out from under the crossed Rok-Straps I had over the helmet on the rear seat of my R1100RS last night.

So, helmet and passenger 1/2 of my Teamset are gone. I re-rode the 30 mile ride in hopes of finding something to salvage, to no avail.

Then the question is, I'll replace the passenger helmet, and install a Scala Q2 to it. I should be able to pair the Q2 to my rider portion of the Scala Teamset right? Both have the voice systems, but the rider portion of the Teamset won't be able to communicate with another Q2 on my brother's bike. Because it would have to be paired to his Q2.

But, I'm thinking when I ride solo on my bike, along with my brother, I can put the Q2 on my helmet in place of the Rider Teamset unit, and pair it to the Q2 on his helmet. Then he and I can talk bike-to-bike. Then when I ride 2-up, the Rider Teamset back on my helmet should work with the Q2 on my passenger's helmet. I'll just have to pair them each time I switch them.

Am I right on this before I go out and buy a single Q2 for the new helmet I am buying for my passenger?

I was under the impression that the teamset was simply two of the regular units that were all ready paired. The unit can pair to two other units at the same time.

If your interested, I'll make you a deal on the unused Q2 that I have. Its practically new and still in the box. Just didn't work out for my needs.

ROK straps for a helmet?

A better way if you need to put it on a seat is a small net with bungies attached or some sort of sack that can be tied down. There are various examples around to be bought. Visit the Rider Wearhouse site or others..

+1 on what was said on the unit. I think you had a pair of Q2s and you can simply replace the missing one and go through the pairing.

If for any reason, the lost set was paired to a Zumo (NOT the one you still have), you ought to delete that pairing. Don't do anything at your Zumo if the lost one was paired only to the other headset.

Here's something you can do with a pair of headsets if you travel solo and run far enough to run down a charge. First, the electronic guts are interchangable from one mike boom to another. So on long solo runs I take 1 helmet and both of the rechargeable bits. Both are paired to the Zumo and whichever I'm using at the moment is the paring selected. The other stays off and charging from a 9V adapter in my electrified tank bag. When charge on first goes down, simply swap them. I don't do days long enough to run down the units when riding two up but note hat the newest G4 unit hasd a longer battery life spec.

Thanks for the replies guys! Yeah, I agree the Teamset is a pre-paired (prepared?) set. But the Teasmset units only have a range of less than 300 feet I think. The Q2 units are designed as bike to bike communicators with a range of nearly 1/4 mile.

So I'm pretty certain one Q2 will pair with my current Teamset rider portion for those times when I ride with a passenger.

Then when I ride my bike along with my brother on his bike, I'll just put the Q2 on my Cardo headset on my helmet. With another Q2 on my brother's helmet we'll be able to talk bike to bike.

Actually, it may be good fortune that I needed to replace the other half of the Teamset.

ROK straps for carrying the helmet actually works, as long as you wrap one or both of the straps around the other in an X-pattern over the helmet. Then neither strap will slide down off the helmet. But, in my haste when I left my friends house after our ride, I failed to properly wrap the straps around each other before I rode off. One strap slid off the helmet, and off it went. It wasn't an expensive helmet at all, but I lost half my Teamset because of my error. Yeah, a bungee net is a more secire method, but I misplaced mine that morning.

Ed, how much do you want for the Q2 you have? PM me with the info.

Team Set

My understanding on the Team Set - just an intercom, not bike to bike -
the Q-2 do refer to pairing with older models?

I'd just run the new Q-2 all the time, and pair to whom ever your riding with.

I have a Q-2 Multi-Set, and have trouble pairing to my brothers Multi-Set when we ride - check manual for buddy pairing - and I wish ya luck !

The Teamset "Rider" is not a Q2, and will not pair with other Scala products, just the "Passenger" unit. When I purchased my Teamset, I was under the impression you could pair them with other units and have bike to bike, but this is not the case. The prices have really dropped on the Q2's now that the G4 unit is out. You can find them on Ebay for $130 or less, new.

Back