• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Dual Sport Tires for a Twin Shock Airhead

richardak

I posted this on ADVrider but didn't get much response so I thought I'd try it here.

It's time for new tires on my 1983 R100RT and I'm looking for something a bit more dirt/gravel friendly. The current Metzeler rubber works fine on the street but as soon as you get on dirt, gravel or even a little mud, they're pretty squirrley. Shawn at Adventure Cycleworks found Avon Distanzias but the rear is not available in the U.S. in the correct size. The closest size (110/80-18) may fit but it might render the side stand useless due to the bike sitting even more vertical due to the smaller diameter. Heidenau K60 are also available in the same size.

Rear : 4.00-18 (or 110/90-18 is apparently close)
Front: 3.25-19 (or 100/90-19)

Here in interior Alaska, there are a number of interesting dirt/gravel roads worth exploring and a new bike isn't in the cards...

Any suggestions or experience?

Years ago I ran Pirelli MT 60 and MT 80s on Airheads. See what they have now.

The U.S. website only list MT 60 for 17" rims (F & R) and no listing for MT 80.
The MT 90 A/T has 110/80-18 and 120/80-18 sizes for the rear but no match for the front. Would these be too wide to fit on a twin shock airhead?

Thought I should post an update. I installed Heidenau K60s on my '83 R100RT and they fit just fine. 110/80-18 rear and 100/90-19 front. The 120/80-18 rear would not have fit, it would have rubbed on the swingarm. Umfortunately, inch sizes don't seem to be available at least not in the U.S. I only have about 50 miles on them and have only tried them on short gravel stretches. On the gravel, they are phenomenal. On pavement, they seem a bit "twitchy" compared to the old Lasertechs. By this, I mean the steering seems more sensitive.

Have not tried them in the mud or on wet roads yet.

Figured I could post a photo.

image-774658.jpeg

Good

Now that you have done the homework others can benefit from your experience. Those look like suitable tires for what you wanted.

Nice :thumb the only thing people don't like about the K60's is obtaining them-short supply or something. I'm considering them for my F800gs. Maybe you can check in in a couple of thousand miles and give us a review.

On pavement, they seem a bit "twitchy" compared to the old Lasertechs.

Can't imagine why... . with those big "blocks" of rubber, I imagine they do feel a bit twitchy on the hard. But like the old saw goes, "Doctor, it only hurts when I laugh." So, don't "laugh" (ride on pavement).

I went "euro" on my /5 and put Bridgestone S11 on the bike. But I always thought that the OEM Continentals (RB2/K112) were a pretty good all-round tire combination.

Unlike interior Alaska, 90% of my riding was on pavement.

I bought my 78 R100/7 from a guy who had put a pirelli scorpion MT90 (120/80x18) on the rear and a Bridgestone TrailWing 101 (100/90x19) on the front. The tires (especially the front) seem a bit oversized, but do manage to clear everything. They do ride pretty good on dirt roads, but not the most confidence inspiring on asphalt at 65+ MPH. I guess these are used on many of the V-strom bikes, so they certainly ought to handle the mixture pretty well. Admittedly, the suspension and fork setup on the R100/7 isn't ideal for dual sport use.

Back