• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Ride-On tire Sealant and Balancer

bandman

Has anyone ever used this product. I have a friend who used it on his Goldwing and swears by it. He took out the air from his tire , put the Ride-On in and then put the air back in. He said that the tires lasted longer with no weights on them, absolutely no vibration, and it protected against blow outs. Anyone else here aver try this product. If this be the case, changing one's own tires would be a breeze.

It works as a sealant quite well. I doubt if it really does much balancing. Note that on a modern motorcycle tire - only the center 1.5-2" is protected by the RideOn (there are some photos a friend took showing how little is really "protected").

It's good stuff in that it doesn't cause a mess at tire changing time. You probably do not want to use it if your bike has a Tire-Pressure-Monitoring system (BMW warns against it.)

So how would not having weights on the wheels extend the tire life?

I use a flat fix goop in my airhead tires, though only in the rear since the stuff is not recommended for use in the front for anything over 45 mph (according to the label) which I found odd as we used to use slime back in the 70's in both tires all the time. But since most flats happen in the rear not really a big issue for me.
It claims it helps balance the tires as well being a liquid and since I run tubes the mess issue is not a problem. I'd be curious about any thoughts on this and the extended life issue with the other stuff.

RM

Ride-On

Thanks to all for replying. My buddy uses the stuff and does get more miles from a set of tires.he never has any vibration issues so the tires wear better and more evenly plus he now changes his own tires and just puts more of the Ride-On stuff in after mounting. He saves money this way plus it offers more puncture protection than without it. He never looses any air either so I will probably switch to it. Thanks again to all who responded.

I am just now finishing the zany book, " Mondo Enduro", wherein 7 Brits ride and drink their way 44,000 miles around the world for a year+. They place this tire sealant in their Suzuki DR tubes that wa sinvented by this techy guy in Israel for prevention of military flats and said to be actually bullet proof.It is said to be in use by the Isralei military .They proceed to have just as many flats as they ever had. Make you own conclusion. I put farm tractor slime in my wheelbarrow tire in 1979 and other than a shot of air now and then, it is still there and rolling.

Ride-On Sealant

I rethought my idea to put it in my tires after talking to my dealer. He computer balances all tires both longitude and radial. I check my air religiously every time I get on the bike. Dealer doesn't support any thing added to the tire. I trust him and what he says. Thanks to all.........

While returning from the national I had a rear flat due to a 3 day old inner tube (Installed at the rally) failing along a seam. When offered this product at the dealer replacing the tube I went against my usual mindset on these products & had it "installed" . My recent experience with having a flat on a busy freeway no doubt had some influence on my thinking.

So far the tire runs good, It was not damaged, However I can't imagine a real way to know if this stuff is really any good (unless I see where it has seeped out and plugged a leak that is).

We will see...

Had my factory installed Metzeler Z8's replaced with Michelin PR3's yesterday at 12,973. Since the factory never installed wheel weights, I suspect they figured out a way to ensure the wheels were balanced without them, I wasn't wanting weights installed with the new tires. I asked the service manager if they had Dyna Beads and they did not. He then mentioned having Ride-on TPS and after a short discussion I did recall reading about the product and seeing their video some time ago.

The service manager explained that there have been no issues with those who have used it and emphasized that in addition to balancing it also protects against punctures near the center of the tread. For $13 per bottle, needed two, I elected to go with it.

Picked the bike up and took a 30 mile ride ranging from city stop and go to 85 mph on the freeway and the bike is so smooth it is like riding on glass. With this being my first set of PR3's I cannot compare wear as one of the claims is extended tire life but I can say the balance claim has been validated. Although there is a claim of puncture protection I will still travel with plugs and compressor just in case.

Aloha.

Last edited:
I know! New tires are always such a pleasure. It lets you know how much your handling has depreciated during the life of the tires.....

Ken F

I use it, but I still balance my tires before installing it. The logic being that the sealant will spread more evenly if it does not have to offset any balance issues. I find the bike runs smoother as the Ride-on does the fine balancing. No mess at all on tire change, it stays on the tire. I did once change out a worn tire and found a piece of metal stuck through it. I still check the tires occasionally for road pick-ups, but somehow I missed this one. It was ground flat on the outside but stuck through into the interior. I am a fan.

The Ride-on product for motorcycling is not speed limited. They have some different formulations for ATV's and such that is speed limited.

this is what 1 1/2 bottles of ride-on looks like in a 160 60 18 michelin pilot road 2 after 5000 miles...

IMAG0411.jpg

IMAG0410.jpg

j o

Ride On

Have used it for years..... tubed & TL. Have had flats..... but very comfortable handling.....latest was 10/18 70+ mph on slab..... large in & out puncture (about 1/8" hole). Was very predictable.....let bike coast to stop in break-down lane.:thumb

Ride-On

Last year during Daytona Bike Week, a Harley riding friend and I stopped in at Destination Daytona to check out the vendors. JP Cylces was having a sale on a set of Contis that fit his Ultra. We left the bike to get the tires and when we came back the guy changing the tires yelled, "hey, isn't that your grey Ultra?" "Come look at this!" His rear tire (Dunlop) had a 1/4 inch bolt AND a roofing nail clear through in different spots. He had Ride-On in the tire. The guy said the tire still had proper pressure before he broke it down. Kind of made me a believer in this stuff.

ride on

Has anyone ever used this product. I have a friend who used it on his Goldwing and swears by it. He took out the air from his tire , put the Ride-On in and then put the air back in. He said that the tires lasted longer with no weights on them, absolutely no vibration, and it protected against blow outs. Anyone else here aver try this product. If this be the case, changing one's own tires would be a breeze.

When I picked up my new 20 RT, the rear wheel had no weights and the front wheel had 4 weights at 1/4 ounce each.
I took the weights off the front and added the required amount of ride on (8oz for the rear and 7oz for the front + or - 20%). Never looked back. No imbalance, no cupping. This stuff also works as a tire puncture sealant up to a 1/8" nail. I know. Ran one into my Goldwing trike rear runflat car tire. Pulled the nail out and rode for another 13000 miles. Never lost a pound of air. It's now in all my bikes and thinking about my cars. might be too expensive in cars. The amount of product needed increases with tire size and at roughly 15 bucks for an 8 oz can it will run into the money.
Now when I buy new bike tires, i ask the mounting boys to align the appropriate mark exactly to the valve and DO NOT BALANCE the wheel.

Back