• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ohio - Wow!

ted

Dum vivimus vivamus
I have ridden Rt. 250 from Charlottesville to Wheeling, WV and by all means that is a phenomenal road that everyone should take one time or another. That was as far as I have gotten however (last time I turned and took Rt. 2 south to Huntington, another great ride.)

Anyway, I had a conference last week in Michigan and as I had to stop in Columbus on the way out I decided to drive it in the convertible. The way up was all highway, all boring. I lit out of the conference a day early and decided to take backroads most of the way. That put me, from Toledo, on Rt. 23 south to Fastoria, then US 224 over to US 250 in Savannah. These roads were truly enjoyable - while pretty flat and very straight the roads pass through several small and old towns, each hosting a handful or two of majestic Victorian and Federal homes from more opulent days gone by. If it would seem boring, it wasn't at all - the farms had such variety of smells, from corn fields to cows, this urban dweller couldn't get enough. As for the speed, most of it was 55mph, and that I think is just a very general suggestion.

US 250 starts to roll a bit and further along it really starts to get interesting. When you hit Dover it gets downright fun with lots of elevation changes, broad sweepers and twisty bits mixed in. Soon you hit the town of Cadiz, birthplace of Clark Gable and from all appearances a town that warrants a good look around for it's ornate courthouse and cool, old downtown. Unfortunately I had to keep moving and good thing as US 250 begins to quickly resemble some of the best parts of its passage through WV with lots of up, down and all around, and simply awesome scenery. I hit the river town of Bridgeport too soon, and turned to the highway from there.

If we have any members from that part of the world you have a true gem there! I would very much like to return on two wheels and explore the area and would welcome any good suggestions :)

Last edited:
US 250 starts to roll a bit and further along it really starts to get interesting. When you hit Dover it gets downright fun with lots of elevation changes, broad sweepers and twisty bits mixed in. Soon you hit the town of Cadiz, birthplace of Clark Gable and from all appearances a town that warrants a good look around for it's ornate courthouse and cool, old downtown. Unfortunately I had to keep moving and good thing as US 250 begins to quickly resemble some of the best parts of its passage through WV with lots of up, down and all around, and simply awesome scenery. I hit the river town of Bridgeport too soon, and turned to the highway from there.

If we have any members from that part of the world you have a true gem there! I would very much like to return on two wheels and explore the area and would welcome any good suggestions :)

Yeah; I grew up in New Phila, so I know 250 very well. My elementary and high schools were on it back when it was routed through town. Somewhat more entertaining and less traveled is Ohio 555 running north from Marietta. Then again, most state routes through the Appalachians have some very entertaining parts. I miss living there ...

Pleeeeeeeze! Don't tell everybody. We don't need more traffic here....;);)
There are more of these great roads left and right off of 250. For example, Rte 241/62 from Mt Eaton takes you into Amish Country, it is dubbed the "Horsesh...t Highway", but it makes for a great ride to Millersburg and on from there to Utica, eventually all the way to Columbus. Or Rte 83 could take you all the way from Wooster to Marietta.
Really great riding area.

Hey all: I've found that almost any state highway south of columbus can be great fun. The further south you get, the hillier and twistier the road become. Just take it easy and be careful as the state of Ohio seems to have a bit of problem with signage. (I have seen signs for a right hand hairpin where the turn is in reality a left hander.) Great fun, and the ride continues into W.VA. (U.S. 50, U.S.33 etc). Be careful and enjoy the scenery. Vaya con Dios, Dutch

Ohio

It's becoming more and more known that SE Ohio has some of the best riding in the country. I've taken a reprieve on long, hot trips out west or way down south, taking thousands of miles and many days to arrive, when I can leave Detroit, be in SE of Columbus in four hours and then ride twisties the whole weekend. My favorite area so far is anything south of Interstate 70 and east of Interstate 77.

Route 555 is nirvana as are so many others in the area. Basically any triple digit road is worth exploring.

RPG

I once or twice took a ride that included Rt 250 South of Cadiz to Rt 50 eastward in W Va. Great riding.

It's becoming more and more known that SE Ohio has some of the best riding in the country. .....My favorite area so far is anything south of Interstate 70 and east of Interstate 77......Route 555 is nirvana as are so many others in the area. Basically any triple digit road is worth exploring.

RPG

Excellent riding in SE Ohio. We visited Stock Port and stayed on the river -- nice accommodations. Great riding. Can't wait to get back there.

Back