• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Windshield for my R1100GS

Don McPhail

I am looking for a good windshield for my R1100GS. Would welcome suggestions. I don't want to take apart half of the front end to put a shield on. I am also 6'2" so a taller shield is needed. Smoked plastic would be best with all the stock lights still in use. I saw one from Reynolds, I think, but don't know where the best deals are. I live in Canada but am more than willing to ship up here from the U.S. Thanks

Don McPhail

Just a note of warning to a fellow Canadian. Try to find a dealer that will bring whichever windshield you choose into Canada for you. If you can't get the one you want up here, then by all means order from the US. The problem is not with purchasing from our southern neighbors, but it is the matter of getting it across the border for a reasonable cost (free trade isn't free). I ordered a Wudo screen for my RS last winter from Cascade Cycle (great service BTW). The cost for shipping, brokerage fees, customs fees and GST on top of GST ended up nearly doubling the price of the windshield. So, later on when I was looking for a set of stainless brake lines I decided to forgo the direct order route and let the local shop get them for me. Because they get their shippments in larger volumes the same fees are present, but shared over a larger number of customers. Takes a little of the bite out of it at least.

Good luck in your search.

Winsheild for my GS1100

Yep, All the little expenses involved in importing really drive the price up, when you order one piece at a time. Thanks for the input, I am looking for a windshield and once I find it, I will check with a buddy who owns a motorcycle dealership and see what he would charge me, delivered.

GS Windshield

I'm 6'5" and have a GIVI windshield on my 95 GS.

It's not the tallest thing in the world but does give me fairly good protection on the chest. The wind hits me right at about eye level.

I've thought about putting on an Aeroflow windshield but frankly, they are really ugly.

Hope this helps.

GSMETAL

I agree that the Aeroflow windshields are ugly, and I am getting wind in the face now, so I don't want any more deflected at me than I have now. I think the Reynolds unit may be the way to go.

Pope-mo-bile windscreen

Don McPhail said:
I agree that the Aeroflow windshields are ugly, and I am getting wind in the face now, so I don't want any more deflected at me than I have now. I think the Reynolds unit may be the way to go.

I might as well throw my $.02 worth in. I'm 6'2" and have the Aeroflow, also fondly known as the 'Pope-mo-bile' windscreen. And yep, it's ugly! But so is my 1150GS! :rofl I'm very happy with it's performance. I do have the 'tall' version. It is expensive and with the issue mentioned above about trade fees, might be worth looking at something else. I've seen some vents that have been cut into existing screens that seem to help. Might ask Ricky about those vents.

Well, that's a vote for the Aeroflow. Shame about your GS though, cause mines a beauty!!! Anyone know anything about the Reynolds windshield or another?

Here's a tip I found out by ordering from the USA..

Have whatever you order shipped by US Mail.
When the item hits Canada, you go down to the post office and pay the GST & PST on the item. The only additional charge is $5.00 Canadian for the 'handling' fee.

When I ordered my Wudo cockpit fairing for my R1100R last year from Cascade BMW, it arrived at the post office in a big box and those are the only fees I paid.

Same with last Friday when I picked up my Twinmax from Adventure Motogear. The value in US dollars is coverted to Can $, then PST/GST are added along with $5.00 handling fee. No Duty or Excise taxes.
Example: Twinmax was $79.95 (converted to $111.03 Can)
PST/GST & Handling fee amounted to $21.65 Can I had to pay at Canada Post.

Any item I have ordered from the states has come in perfect condition through US Mail.

FedEx and UPS charge HUGE brokerage and custom fees, sending the final price into orbit and they need someone home to deliver. Canada Post attempts to deliver and if no one home, pick it up at your leisure next day at closest Post Office.

This is only way to go as I have dealt all 3 ways over the years..

Dale Carter
Pickering Ontario Canada

Taxes??

Taxes?? Shipping?? Why not just enjjoy a good ride, buy and install in the States and have a plesent ride home!

Thats my thoughts, Its what I do when I want something from Canada.
Bones, aka Jim Post

Re: GS Windshield

gsmetal said:
I've thought about putting on an Aeroflow windshield but frankly, they are really ugly.

GSMETAL

I saw some of the big Aeroflows at the Square Route Rally. I used to think they looked ugly from the ads and mags but in person the look great. Users say they're great, too. Plus the mounting system looked beefy and has PIAA mounts built in.

MarkF

The Aeroflow windshield is great for the road. Keeps wind, bug and rain off and eliminates the buffeting. It is vulnerable if you flop the bike on its side, so you may want to put the stock one back on for serious off road use.

windshield for my GS

The Aeroflow is not my favourite shield for looks but I do like the procticality of them. I tend to like the Reynolds clear shield in tall, have you ever tried one?

Thanks

Don

Back