• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Introducing your BMW MOA Forum Team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldhway

2 Wheeled Troubador
The BMW MOA Board of Directors has given the responsibility of the day to day running, as well as the long term operations, of the MOA Forum to a group of member volunteers. These volunteers have been selected because of their enthusiam and experience on the Forum as well as their level headed approach to Forum participation. The Forum Teams primary mission is to provide a comfortable, informative, and entertaining cyber community for the members of the BMW MOA.

We just wanted to take a moment to introduce ourselves.

Your Forum Team consists of a Forum Liaison who has overall responsibility for the operation of the BMW MOA forum, oversees the rest of the Forum Team, and is the person responsible to the MOA Board of Directors for the BMW MOA Forum. From a Forum perspective the buck stops with the Liaison.

Next in the chain of Command and working closely with the Liaison is the Forum Administrator. The Administrator's job is to act as the leader of the Moderator Team and to be sure that all Moderators are qualified and trained in the operation of the Forum. The Administrator also works directly with the Liaison to recruit and train new Moderators. Think of the Administrator as the head Moderator.

Working with these Forum Leaders are the Moderators. The Moderator's responsibilities include being sure everything is in it's place, helping members with Forum questions or concerns, and being sure that the Forum Guidelines are followed throughout the BMW MOA Forum. The majority of a Moderator's activity is the simple housekeeping required in a Forum used by several thousand people. While there is a certain amount of guidelines enforcement involved, Moderators do not want to be thought of as Forum Police and spend a considerable amount of time behind the scenes discussing and implementing ways to make this place great.

That is a very basic description of the Forum Team and their responsibilities. In the next several posts, the various members of the Moderation Team will take just a few moments to let you know who they are and why they volunteered for their position.

If you ever have any questions or concerns regarding the Forum, feel free to send a PM to any of the Moderators, the Forum Administrator, or the Forum Liaison.

20774, Liaison

Hello! My forum name is 20774...that's just my member number as I'm not imaginative enough to figure out a cool handle! My name is Kurt Schrader and I live in San Antonio, Texas. I've been here for about 40 years, working as an Aerospace Engineer at a contract research company in town. My area of focus was installing flight data recorders on military training aircraft and analyzing the results as part of a process to help establish safety of flight for the fleet. I recently retired but still dabble with the old company, but have more time for the other fun stuff!

I joined the MOA in 1980 just after I bought my '78 R100/7 as a second owner. I had only owned a Honda CB750-4 before that (loved that bike!) but appreciated the German engineering and design of BMW motorcycles. I knew relatively little about them so I asked a friend who already owned an Airhead to ride the /7 and give me an assessment. When he returned and said "if you don't buy it, I will", I became the owner of that /7 in a heartbeat. I briefly owned a '78 R100RS but that style of riding didn't suit me...probably should have kept it though. :( Since then, I've added a '69 R69S and most recently a '52 R25/2 (something nice about the year 1952!). I seem to be going backwards in time, but for now, I've run out of garage space!

Before the "on-line" world, I worked pretty much alone on my /7 and made my share of dumb mistakes. There were a few lifelines out there, but I felt I was pretty much on my own. On a separate note, if you ever wonder where your socks disappear to in your laundry, it's explained here. In 2000, I joined the Airheads Beemer Club as well as began to receive daily emails by postings from some very knowledgeable people on the Airlist. The learning curve became pretty steep as I lurked, read, asked, and learned. I captured many nuggets of information which I saved and refer to regularly. Since then and with the addition of my vintage bikes, I have joined several other on-line forums and am an active supporter in the Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners club.

I enjoy and welcome the sharing of technical information on the forums. Having this as a resource these days, along with local contacts and Tech Days, is a tremendous asset for helping to maintain these older bikes. As a Moderator in the Airheads, Vintage, and regional forums, I try to keep the technical information flowing, help others find needed resources, and support the camaraderie of the virtual campfire. I look forward to being involved where I can in the BMW MOA and the well-cared-for forum. Your Moderator team is a very impressive group of people!

Attachments

• Kurt on R25.jpg
    Kurt on R25.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 991
Last edited:
Hello.

My name is Voni and I'm a motorcyclaholic.

I started riding back in the 70's so our family of four could go on motorcycle vacations. I've ridden 1.1 million BMW sMiles. I guess you might say riding has become a passion for me.

I've frequented motorcycle online communities since early Prodigy days. In fact I met some of you there. Over the years I've learned so much about riding safely by the company I keep in person and online. I've benefited immeasurably from the wisdom of my fellow riders. Joining the moderator team here is one of my ways of giving back.

When Karen J first proposed the "Women of the MOA" subforum I jumped at the chance to continue to encourage other women riders. I'm really elated to find women posting all over the forum.

Big Red, my '94 R11RS is one of four bikes that I ride:

And my faithful sidekick, Paul in the beautiful Big Bend of Texas
where we live when we're not on the road:

Voni
sMiling

Last edited:
Hi, My name is Gary and I'll be your moderator today

Hi everybody, Motorcycling for me started about 40 years ago with a Rupp minibike. This started a progression of many bikes through the years, mostly Japanese imports. I spent time riding Enduro, Street, Cruiser and owning and enjoying more bikes than I can remember.
My move to BMW motorcycles was mainly a desire to have something more in a motorcycle. Being mechanically inclined I can appreciate the effort BMW has gone through to make them what they are. My move to be a moderator here on the forum is mainly a natural progression in something that I enjoy-helping others. I have been involved with many clubs through the years and have enjoyed helping members get all the enjoyment they can from their club experience.If I can help I will.
Gary Nelson
Omega Man

Attachments

• GaryNelson.jpg
    GaryNelson.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 1,009
Last edited:
NooB Moderator Henzilla

Hi Y'all :D

Just getting that Texan thing outa the way ya know?
I joined the moderator team this week after being asked if I was interested...I have armchair quarterbacked as many do and thought why not? I guess time will tell won't it?
I retired from the electric power industry after 30 years of keeping the lights on a few years back and now piddle with bikes for fun again. Being retired does not mean being bored around this house!

I have been around motorized two wheels for almost 40 years...a common theme among several members of the MOA community. Started on a Briggs & Stratton powered mini bike, and progressed to larger and more complex machines thru the years. Have the broken bones and stories to go along with several of them...thankfully most of those when I was as bulletproof as I thought I was in the 70's.My first "real" job about 16 years of age was as a porter at a Houston Honda shop about the time the 750-4 hit the market. Got to uncrate the first one to hit the streets of SE Houston...and hung on for dear life when the mechanic I worked with took me for a ride...I was hooked:bow
Got my first BMW when my GF at the time wheeled up my driveway on her R1100R one day and I was polishing the chrome on my you know what cruiser...parked that bike( actually found a guy that had a GS but wanted a cruiser and we traded!) and haven't looked back in regret...oh yeah...I married her and we both share the riding passion :D we both recently hit our first 100K on BMW's...many more planned. Between us we currently have around 7 bikes to swap around.
Hope I can be a help here and answer any questions. Let's ride!

Attachments

• BRANSON DAY 2 (81).jpg
    BRANSON DAY 2 (81).jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 779
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back