• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tourtech GSA, Crash bar bags;

Polarbear

Polarbear
I'm giving these a go, but have not traveled with them yet. What do ya carry in these bags,FYI? I like the looks and they seem to be roomy enough, not making the GSA even "seem" wider. A bad crash lands the bike right on these bags of course so breakable, expensive items should be left OUT of these bags, yes. One complaint IS Tourtech prices are quite high and that alone keeps me from buying much of their gear. These bags are no exception in the $$$ category, ouch. 160$. I tire of the BMW slim tankbag for the GSA1200 and its a pain to gas up the bike with this tankbag system, by BMW. Its(tankbag) also made in China for BMW and not holding up well to wear at two years, 58000 miles. The Tourtech side bar panniers I hope work well, so anybody using these? Randy:thumb:usa

I find these bags one of the best of the best, because they fit so tight to the bars. They are solid where regular tank panniers flop around no matter how tightly fitted. I usually carry raingear in them, but to Alaska one year I wore raingear everyday!! and carried tools and 12v pump in them. This year I carried maps to cross the country and a bike cover, water wipe sponge, and raingloves. So see it is only up to you what all you can carry in them. They are slightly vulnerable to thief, but I put a metal rivot with hole in it on the bottom and a luggage lock thru the zipper draw and the rivot. And they are not waterproof so ziplocs or similer are needed.
I might add that the TT GS tankbag is the best I have used and I have used a lot. It just stays put and releases for gasing easily. The mapcase holds 1/4 of a standard map.
Allen.

Theft!

I had not even given that any thought. Heck, I leave all my stuff unlocked mostly anyhow and have been lucky, with a lot of travel in me. I know this is luck, so knock on a big tree:). I've even left the key in the GSA and this is stupid luck. All mytravels, which is many many miles, I've found theft and my hangouts a non issue and now saying that, I'm primed to be hit! Thanks on the feedback on the bags. I'll stash something in them and yes the waterproof thing is a known factor, which I've already sprayed them with treatment for such. It'll keep them mostly dry and 100% so with baggies/trashbags. Between the two sides I can probably stash a fair amount of socks/underclothes,etc in them, that are soft and not likely to damage the tank if hit hard in a dirt fall. Randy:usa

In a word "Wolfman"

Don't know about those crash bar bags but you brought up the gas tank bags. My old GS1150 got 75,000 miles and 6 years on my first Wolfman gas tank bag. Then my wife bought me a new on and I sold the bike with 92,000 miles and a year and a half later. Now it is on my new '08 GSA and with 20'000 miles still preforming great. Half the cost of Tourtech and BMW with twice the function.

gpodzo

Me too:)

I happen to have the Aerostitch Tank Panniers, for a longgggg time now on another BMW(R100) in the garage. Love them, but figured the width thing too much for the GSA I have, so I did not try them on the bigger GSA tank. 117$ for those from Aerostitch, for a lot of years now this price has not changed. Less than TT, for sure and I have ridden with them for several 100000 miles+...Maybe I should go to the garage and try to play a little and see for myself if they fit the GSA! I do like the TT crash bar system bags, but its not proven anything to me as yet. Well made, but way pricey:( and TT gets less attention from me because of their prices! I broke this once. Randy:usa

Back