Thread: BMW's 100 year Anniversary Bike

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    dinandan

BMW's 100 year Anniversary Bike

Hello All,

I've been wondering this question ever since I saw BMW's 80 year anniversary Rockster.

Any Ideas what BMW's 100 year Anniversary bike will be???

I have some ideas but I thought I'd get some of the Club's input.

Thanks

Dan
    1983 CB450sc
    1983 R80RT
    1985 K100

If BMW uses this as inspiration I would buy two

Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    If BMW uses this as inspiration I would buy two

you know, if they designed the Cruiser to look like this, they would have sold a bajillion.

my vote for the bike:

Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '07 Xchallenge || '13 CB500X || '14 Grom

100th Anniversary Bike

If they want to sell a bajillion, they should design the bike something like this. My 13 y.o. ready to ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images

hmmmm... harley is spending all kinds of money to be relevant to people just a bit older than your son.

but i don't think it's working.

make sure your son keeps his leg away from that pipe!

Maybe an electric powered GS?

I'd buy that in a heart beat!

Quote Originally Posted by ted View Post
    if bmw uses this as inspiration i would buy two

+1

I'm young (<30) and I think a retro bike would be sweet and something special too. Otherwise, go really high end like the HP2 series. A splash of paint and such wouldn't do it for me.

I've been wondering this question ever since I saw BMW's 80 year anniversary Rockster.

Any Ideas what BMW's 100 year Anniversary bike will be???

R-1300- RS Pearl White with a teal seat, Just a guess but I will buy one..
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

Ed Miller/MCMXCIVRS has it right.

BMW is not going to build a 100th Anniversary bike that looks like a /2, an Airhead or even an R32. They didn't build a New Isetta or a new 2002 for 2002. They aren't doing retro bikes like Triumph and Ducati.

BMW is a forward looking company. They are very aware of their past, and very proud of it, but they don't rest on those laurels. We think their current designs are ugly because it takes a while to grow into them. They are designs that reflect what is possible at present.

The 100th Anniversary bikeS will be whatever the current high end models are at that time with some kind of added package. Look at the R100 Last Editions or the current 30th Anniversary GSes for a clue.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

dinandan

As the originator of this thread...

YES, the three previous posts are exactly right! BMW will not look back but make the 100 year anniversary bike the pinnacle of modern motorcycle technology.

I don't think the 100 year anniversary bike with be anything but a boxer set-up with shaft drive. The GS line of bikes has its own anniversary so I doubt that will be it. I'm predicting a naked bike (like the Rockster) or a RS type sport touring machine.

As a relatively young MOA member (my 1983 R80RT is older than me) I would ONLY buy the 100 year anniversary bike if it had the latest technology and looked and performed like nothing ever built before it.

And yes, I do ALL my own maintenance (this winter I will be rebuilding the top end on my R80RT so it will last until 2023).