• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Skyline Drive, Virginia, August 7 2010

Rode all of Skyline north to south. Beautiful weather. Normal summer traffic. Road is in good-to-excellent condition, but many of the overlooks are closed for construction. Had four deer encounters and nearly bagged myself an 8 point buck the hard way.

Skyline7s.jpg

Skyline5s.jpg

Skyline2s.jpg

Skyline1s.jpg

Thanks!

Thanks for the great pictures and the road report. I'm doing Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway right after Labor Day and appreciate any updated information you can offer. You pictures have got me psyched to go, I've never done Skyline and the BRP before. Thanks again. Don:thumb

I had planned to do both in April using this route, but the weather turned bad at the last minute so my buddies and I aborted the trip. We're also going to try again in September--after school is back in session to cut down on traffic, but before the peak leaf season when it becomes a parking lot up there.

Skyline is a pretty relaxed route. None of the curves are marked less than 20 MPH (there are mountain ridge crossings here in Central Pennsylvania which are 15 MPH and 10 MPH). Plus, the speed limit is 35. (It is 45 on most of the Blue Ridge Parkway).

There are dozens of overlooks on Skyline, plus a few store/snack bar/gas stations run by the Park Service. There's a $10 park fee.

The road is great once you get your head into the speed limit. The campgrounds cannot be beat, especially if you have the Over 62, Golden Age Pass. Also lots of great side trip roads and many good eatery places. Avoid weekends if possible. Road is clear on weekdays BUT do not ride after dark. Way too many deer.

rockbottom,

Glad you had a safe ride. My encounter with deer have all been misses, fortunately.

Thanks for posting nice photos.

Rockbottom's return route is pretty good too. Rt. 16 is great. Post Labor Day timing should be good too. This may sound odd, but warmer winter days or early spring...like March are good. The foliage is gone and you can see further on the bright, clear days. Traffic is usually minimal that time of year. Easy for me to say because I am pretty close by. If the opportunity presents itself, take advantage of it.

Back