• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fuel Pump Damper & Maintenance

zoridog

Dinandan's scary photos of the disintegrated fuel pump damper has me thinking I should replace mine every so often.

How frequently should we plan on replacing these on the old K bikes?

If you regularly ride the bike and don't let it sit 'til the fuel goes bad, they should last a very long time.

BUT, you need to inspect it periodically (I'd recommend once or twice a year to be safe). If, when you rub it with your finger, it feels like it's going soft (softer than a tire) or black comes off on your fingers, it's time to replace it.

:dance:dance:dance

Hi,
98lee is correct. If it feels softer than a tire, replace it. But be sitting down when the price is quoted! And realize there are 2 fuel pumps - the older one is 52mm in diameter (Bosch) and the newer is 43mm in diameter (Siemens, I think). The rubber dampers are different. Either pump will work in the bike; just make sure you order the correct damper for the pump you have!

Hi,
98lee is correct. If it feels softer than a tire, replace it. But be sitting down when the price is quoted! And realize there are 2 fuel pumps - the older one is 52mm in diameter (Bosch) and the newer is 43mm in diameter (Siemens, I think). The rubber dampers are different. Either pump will work in the bike; just make sure you order the correct damper for the pump you have!

I think the newer ones were made by VDO.

I replaced mine after 21 years of regular riding. I was having fuel pump wiring problems, and when I pulled the pump, I noticed the mount was slowly disintegrating.

It was time.

Scott

Back