• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

June issue...MOA.. Pieter deWaal

CATHDEAC

Has anyone read the article featuring Mr. de Waal (sp?) in the July MOA News yet?

Very enlightning, encouraging and hopeful for BMW Motorcycles in the US.

He seems to be the kind of leader I enjoy working with...

Last edited:
I enjoyed the article, a nice combo of personal and professional aspects of the man. He certainly comes across as enthusiastic, although it was sobering his comment about how little influence BMW NA has on product development.

during the launch of the F800 models in africa, i had the opportunity to ride and talk with Pieter. he was the top dog of BMW South Africa at the time, but had just been tapped for the VP of Global Marketing spot in Germany.

during a conference with the american press, pieter asked the writers why they thought BMW wasn't seeing any sales growth in the USA, despite the recent intro of the K12S.

the press kinda hemmed and hawwed, and guessed reasons like "seats are too hard" and "the price is too high." it was kind of an awkward moment because that isn't really the sorta thing one asks the press.

over dinner later (and a lot of drinks... motorcycle tests are marketing, after all....), i shared with him my thoughts as to why. they ranged from the fact that BMW didn't have products that appeal to younger riders to the fact that they're not taking advantage of 40,000 sets of feet on the street (that being us, the MOA, and our ability to refer our friends to the marque... the most credible form of promotion.)

thanks to good stewardship by our leadership, today the MOA has a really good relationship with BMW Motorrad, and with Pieter. they have shown us a lot of love lately. :nod

i, too, thought vince did a great job of revealing interesting personal and professional details about Pieter and i hope that the interview makes for an even more mutually beneficial relationship going forward.

ian

No I haven't read it. Be right back

Wow, interesting read.

He made an interesting observation that the US is very legalistic, and he thought that the failure of some people to take responsibility for their actions is have a negative affect on us.

It does look like he's got a good grip on things, which should prove positive for BMW.

Rode with him:)

I met the guy at Mt.St.Helens after the Redmond Rally and he was riding my model GSA:). He and the Tacoma Beemer dealer guy were doing a tour of the NW and we just met at a vista, overlooking an amazing sight of the Volcano. Talking for 10 minutes and sharing some stories, he seems a cool guy alright and very attentive to us "Riders". I thoroughly enjoyed the meeting and shared some photo shots. Hope he remembers:). Randy"Polarbear"Owens:thumb:usa

... during a conference with the american press, pieter asked the writers why they thought BMW wasn't seeing any sales growth in the USA, ... it was kind of an awkward moment because that isn't really the sorta thing one asks the press.

Just curious Ian, why do you say this?

My personal observation is that the motorcycle "press" is intimately connected to objects of their reporting, as well as their readership. And since that readership actively participates in the sport (as opposed e.g. NASCAR fans (spectators)) they appreciate bi-directional feedback. (i.e. "what's new from the factory", and "what I want".)

BMW would do well to take advantage of any "marketing" resource they can lay hands on. n'cest pas?

Last edited:

My personal observation is that the motorcycle "press" is intimately connected to objects of their reporting, as well as their readership. And since that readership actively participates in the sport (as opposed e.g. to NASCAR fans (spectators)) they appreciate bi-directional feedback. (i.e. "what's new from the factory", and "what I want".)

BMW would do well to take advantage of any "marketing" resource they can lay hands on. n'cest pas?

Yes, if the press is an often uncalled upon resource, then these are precisely questions which should be asked. If it is a queasy and uncomfortable moment, so be it. Progress does not occur within comfort zones.

If it is a queasy and uncomfortable moment, so be it.

The two guys I know are so cheeky I wouldn't see them pausing for even a moment to ask, let alone answer, a direct question.
09.gif

I hope he does well here in the US and can get some things changed.

I recently bought a BMW car and can tell you the experience was very different than buying a motorcycle. The dealer actaully seemed to want us there, want our business and appreciated us. We have been back a few times to get some small issued straightened out and to buy some extras already. Each time we are greeted like a member of the family and everyone we come into contact with is friendly towards us and wants our time there to be pleasant. Have you ever bought a car that at the time of signing the papers you felt good? And no we did not pay cash or buy a 7 series, we bought a used 1 series, but you would have thought we bought a 7.

Now not saying all motorcycle dealers are bad, but you just don't get that service sometimes. I have introduced several people to BMW bikes and I really get tired of "apologizing" for employees they end up dealing with at some point at the local dealers. I know its not my job, but I feel someone should. Its an image thing. Even if one is not trying to impress others with the roundel, one still expects a certain level of service due to the roundel. Yes, bikes and cars will have mechanical issues, most people can understand and deal with those. What irks them is the lack luster service they get from BMW, actually the dealership, when the problem is being addressed. If I take my bike in for service or repair, I am fairly certain the people will be pleasant and may even say, bummer, sorry it broke. If I take our car in, I can almost guarantee I will get an apology, and get taken care of in some fashion to make me feel better about what has happened.

Yes, bikes don't generally cost as much as cars, although I suspect the coming
16GT may come close to what we paid for our 2010 1 series, but it is still the image thing. You buy a Yugo, you have a certain level of expectation of how you will be treated. You buy a BMW that is different. You buy a Huysong bike, you may know what to expect. Buy a BMW, that expectation is different.

If they want to expand sales in the US, I think they should work on closing the gap between the bikes and cars and how those customers perceive they are treated. Take care of your customers and they will come back, with others. Just my opinion. All that said, I love BMW's!

Hm, he mentioned quite frankly in the interview that his home is South Africa. That tells me a lot about his motivation to enhance BMW presence in North America.

And three years ago in Gilette a couple of riders (mostly women) complaint about the seat height of BMWs. He gave a pretty lame excuse instead of saying "input taken".

He seems to be a nice guy...but hey he is paid for to improve BMW's presence in North America. Like checking what riders here want for or do with their Beemers and bring the input back to the engineers in their glas castle.

Take the dealer network in the US. BMW has to abandon their snobby attitude and support non-BMW shops to service BMWs. BMW Motorrad needs to be told that the population density west of the Mississippi is more like Sweden and not like central Europe.

/Guenther

My personal observation is that the motorcycle "press" is intimately connected to objects of their reporting, as well as their readership. And since that readership actively participates in the sport (as opposed e.g. NASCAR fans (spectators)) they appreciate bi-directional feedback. (i.e. "what's new from the factory", and "what I want".)

if you want real answers to questions like this, you ask them one-on-one, off the record.

Put people in a a group and they'll only tell you what they think you want to hear.

Plus, it was a little embarrassing to them because the answers were pretty obvious... the bikes are too expensive, somewhat weird and don't appeal to many younger riders.

you never want to put the press into an uncomfortable situation.

Yes, if the press is an often uncalled upon resource, then these are precisely questions which should be asked. If it is a queasy and uncomfortable moment, so be it. Progress does not occur within comfort zones.

you're not in PR, are you? :ha

if you're not careful, the press will put YOU in the uncomfortable situation.

it's very important not to confuse press with customers (or strategic marketing analysts, for that matter....)

you're not in PR, are you? :ha

if you're not careful, the press will put YOU in the uncomfortable situation.

it's very important not to confuse press with customers (or strategic marketing analysts, for that matter....)

General rule I have is to assume all press people are kind of like hand grenades with the pin pulled. You never know when their spoon has released and things will go boom. Besides, most are not "journalists" anymore, to the sadness of Ed Murrow: facts have little use in modern media anymore.

Has anyone read the article...cathdeac

Fortuitous that you should post this. I read it on Friday, and thought about starting a thread.

A very good piece by Vince, and de Waal comes across as a very likeable, competent guy. I don't know if it'll work, selling BMWs in the context of a created lifestyle.

I'll have to ask my daughter, the marketing expert, for her opinion.

If I can get her to read the interview. :)

Hm, he mentioned quite frankly in the interview that his home is South Africa. That tells me a lot about his motivation to enhance BMW presence in North America.

And three years ago in Gilette a couple of riders (mostly women) complaint about the seat height of BMWs. He gave a pretty lame excuse instead of saying "input taken".

He seems to be a nice guy...but hey he is paid for to improve BMW's presence in North America. Like checking what riders here want for or do with their Beemers and bring the input back to the engineers in their glas castle.

Take the dealer network in the US. BMW has to abandon their snobby attitude and support non-BMW shops to service BMWs. BMW Motorrad needs to be told that the population density west of the Mississippi is more like Sweden and not like central Europe.

/Guenther

At last year's MOA, he talked about seat height as one of his personal successes. He mentioned that it had been one of his personal battles while in South Africa. :whistle Corporate politics makes the truth pretty foggy. Was he evading the seat height question because he was sworn to secrecy? If BMW was going to announce factory seat height reductions the following year, what is the harm of saying "we are in the feasibility stages of offering factory lowered suspensions and seats"? Maybe they were worried about current inventory not being sold while buyers waited for the new lowered models.

I think it's great that the guy shows up and fields questions from the rally riders. It is a very uncomfortable position to put oneself in ... especially when the final drive questions inevitably surface.

I think the lifestyle thing will work if maybe BMW has more interaction with the clubs and dealerships.

I really think the other thing is to close the gap between the BMW image/reputation/expectation, the dealers and the rider. I think they have done it on the car side, but the motorcycle side seems to be suffering some.

He's a RIDER:)

My meeting Mr.DeWahl on the road, showed me one thing, HE's A Rider, like most all of us and we stopped at a very small village in Washington State, ate at a tiny cafe and he fit in:). Now, he's also the VP of N.America BMW, so lets see if he shows his rider roots:). There's always going to be rider gripes, absolutely nobody can solve and I think this guy has the good handle on the owners of the bikes situation. A very short visit sure did not tell me this, but its just carma, on the road meeting:). Randy:thumb:usa

I read the article in the August issue of ON that provided a detailed interview with BMW NA Pieter de Waal.

It did a nice job highlighting this gentleman from a personal venue and he seems genuine and committed to advancing BMW motorcycles. Nice to hear - I'd like to meet him someday.

However, the interview shed little light on his intentions or abilities to influence certain 'issues' that, at least here in America, are often at the forefront of BMW discussions.

In my opinion, while his credentials are impressive, he will have to earn my attention by addressing four pressing concerns:

1. Acknowledge, reslove and retro-fit the final drive reliability issues of all R1200-series units.

2. Expand BMW's dealer network in the United States well beyond the sparse 140+ now in existence.

3. Work closely with the BMW MOA as an integral partner in the success of BMW in North America.

4. Hold the line on cost of new BMW motorcycles, in an effort to create wider market appeal.

I wish him the best of success in his new role, and hope that he becomes a welcome household name in circles of discussion whenever and wherever BMW enthusiasts gather. :german

Did they ask him about the FD failure problem?

I think he was asked that, but that's when he bought up the legal hassles of operating in USA and that people in the states should take more responsibility.

That seems odd doesn't it....the BMW rep stating people in America should take responsibility more serious...isn't BMW the outfit that doesn't take responsibility for anything negative..."there is no problem here, we see no problem, the new models with two spark plugs were not conceived to solve a problem....there is no problem, there is no problem with the fuel strips....it is your gasoline, there is no problem with the final drive units...it is you with your too much oil, wrong kind of oil, saying we said it was lifetime oil, your air, your roads, your expectations.....BUT there is no problem with our bikes and you should be more responsible"!!!

Give me a break. Perhaps another 50% reduction (or more) in his salary to become a final drive or fuel strip engineer would be the more responsible thing to do...and while doing so, do more to help BMW increase their sales? Ya think?

Back