• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Lost saddlebags

Have you ever lost a saddlebag?

• Yes -- recovered.

Votes: 16 21.6%
  • Yes -- never recovered.

Votes: 8 10.8%
  • I've never lost a saddlebag.

Votes: 50 67.6%

• Total voters
I lost the other side one somewhere between Moncton, NB and Levis PQ. The bolts sheared off and I didn't feel a thing. It was just missing when I got to Levis, and I had covered way too much distance to go back and look for it.

369240300_svt46-S.jpg

Lost a E52 GIVI trunk. The whole mounting plate gave out.
By the time I returned to get it was gone.
Posted ads on craiglist and local papers (online) to no avail.

Luckily, I had the camera out.
But I did have a brand new pair of prescription RayBan sunglasses, heated gloves in it along w/ bike registration.
$300 to replace. :hungover

A week has passed since our left bag loss. Likely MIA now so will start looking for a new buddy on that side. Thanks to all who have assisted in locating the bag. Lots of great stories and ideas on this thread so far. I still lament the passing of my Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia shirt :cry Oh well, onward! - Bob

I'm going to be in Burlington, VT in mid-October. Is not that where Ben and Jerry's is headquartered? If so, then I;ll look for a new t-shirt for you. Size?

Lost a E52 GIVI trunk. The whole mounting plate gave out.
By the time I returned to get it was gone.
Posted ads on craiglist and local papers (online) to no avail.

Luckily, I had the camera out.
But I did have a brand new pair of prescription RayBan sunglasses, heated gloves in it along w/ bike registration.
$300 to replace. :hungover

I think I've heard that story before :)

I'm going to be in Burlington, VT in mid-October. Is not that where Ben and Jerry's is headquartered? If so, then I;ll look for a new t-shirt for you. Size?

dang Kevin that's very kind of you but the reason for the added value is that they do not make that same version of the shirt anymore (for years I think). They apparentlly have one now that looks somewhat like it so I can check into in on my next run down that way. Ben and Jerry's is in Waterbury, VT. Kevin, I really appreciate that offer but if it is still made I will get one. Very thoughful of you though, thanks. - Bob

I thought of this thread yesterday when I saw an 80-something RS fly by the gas station where I was filling up my /5. His right side Krauser was missing. I was just topping off at the time and was able to catch up with him in city traffic.

Not a clue it was gone. . . he'd just pulled into Arroyo Grande, California, on his way home from Morgan Hill .... . that's about 150 miles.... .. :doh

I have never lost a saddle bag but I have lost the contents of one. Latch mechanism on the right side bag of my R1200CL broke and the bag opened spilling the contents somewhere on the south side of Edmonton. Didn't feel it open. Just had some folks waving at me wildly as I was heading north on highway 216. Lost a tank bag, house and car keys, office keys, Anonymous Book, a really good tire gauge, a great flash light and a few other sundry items. Luckily, there was no identification in the bag that could tie the keys to a house. Also a lucky thing that I knew how to break into my own house (which I don't think I can do at our new house).

Lost the right city bag off my K75. Got home and discovered it had made a break for freedom and succeeded. I went back to the stretch of road where I thought I had lost it. I went back again and covered the whole road which was about 5-7 kms. Did this about five times on several different occasions. No bag. This was two years ago and I still check out the sides of the road when I ride it. I still wonder how far it could have bounced. Recently bought some replacements through the BMWMOA Flea Market which should be arriving soon.

I have personally never lost one but I have made someone else loose one.
When I was about 19 and going to automotive school in Denver Colorado , I was pulling out of my apartment complex at about 11:00 pm one night and there used to be a pay phone right on the sidewalk that blocked the view to my left. As I started to only inch out in my Rambler (yes Rambler) two cycle cops were coming up the near lane and one was nearly in the gutter (where my front bumper was).
Well you guessed it he clipped the bumper and flew through the air with little grace and landed in the street some 20 yards to the north along with his dis-connected Harley bag and a few hunderd rounds of ammo and a pistol that were apparently stored in the bag. He was not seriously hurt and got up and walked to the curb.
Yes , he sued my insurance company but I never saw the settlement and a whitness in the phone booth said the two policemen were chatting it up and pretending to race each other. I was sited for failure to yeild right of way from a private drive.

No there is no moral to the story , I'm just sayin.

Mike

twice

Once: when I didn't get it on correctly :blush. I rode about two blocks at residential speeds, and heard it hit the street behind me. The fall caused a couple of scratches.

The second: when I crashed as slow speed it was knocked off. Again, only a couple of scratches.

Given they were more then 20 years old on the K100, and on a resurected biike, what matters a scratch or two. It only adds character.

RAT BIKES RULE! :bow

jim

Thanks Tom for getting this poll going. As many know, we are part of the 21% recovery crowd. The whole thing - from lament to jubilation - is outlined at

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=47459

Many, many players brought it home and lots of valuable ideas/strategies have been put forth to limit saddlebag abandonment syndrome. Now, back (again) to :type that little story outlining the event. -Bob

They can really fly

Followed a 1100 series on gravel roads one day, doing about 70, when I saw a black dog screaming across a disked corn field. He was really moving. He stopped about 100 yards out in the field. Yep, it was a side case.

We got it out of the mud and presented it to the owner miles later. Nope, he didn't know it had left him and turned into a black dog; for a bit at least!

So, if you've lost one in less than open terrain, it may be a lllllllong way into the woods with a very unpredictable trojectory.

Then there's the ones...

Back about 2007-8, someone lost a bag in the vicinity of Paonia, CO during the rally. It was turned in to the Top of the Rockies Rally staff.

They still have it, I think. There was no ID on or in the bag.

Perhaps the owner did not attend the rally, but don't you think he might have inquired????

Back about 2007-8, someone lost a bag in the vicinity of Paonia, CO during the rally. It was turned in to the Top of the Rockies Rally staff.

They still have it, I think. There was no ID on or in the bag.

Perhaps the owner did not attend the rally, but don't you think he might have inquired????

Now labeling the bags is a great idea. I never thought of that!
:banghead:doh

Back