Thread: South NM, 2d Beemer, Smiling

South NM, 2d Beemer, Smiling

Greetings, All --

I'm SO glad to have finally come to grips with the fact that the Blue-and-White IS where I belong. . .

I had one of the Big Yellow Taxi R1200RS's from Denver BMW back in '98, and reluctantly sold it when I retired, mostly due to fear of future (dealer) maintenance costs. At that time, I barely knew a box-end wrench from a crowbar, and now can finally tell the difference! (The crowbar is longer, a lot heavier, and possibly more useful when things go wrong, because you can bash yourself over the head.)

After retirement, I continued my ownership of an '80 GL1100 w/ Unit Forks and beautiful Watsonian sidecar, but - lack-a-day, Old Son sat under a heavy coating of desert sand in my garage as my fearless life companion and I rode far-and-wide from Mexico to Canada on an '84 GL1200I that I learned to wrench pretty well. Now, I'm bringing Old Son back to life, and have (omygod) rebuilt the carbs - one of the scariest things I've done in my life, and also one of the most rewarding. (Thank you, Randakk.)

Now, a beautiful as-new and new-to-me Pearl White R1100RS (40k) sits in my garage, and I can hardly wait to start learning some new wrenching tricks from the online Wise Ones. I think I need help right now finding the frame on this bike
    and finding the place to put the coolant -- it's all very confusing so far.

I just took a 2,000 mile round-trip to Arkansas and this dead-stock R-baby purred like a kitten and roared like a lioness at appropriate times. MoonBeemer and I are going to have some fun over the next few years, and she is definitely a saucy wench who really, really likes to dance. Needless to say, this is waaaaay different from the GL1200! This girl just wants to have fun, and am I ever glad to be along for the ride as I near the end of the trail. Still some juice left in the tank, boys and girls.

The Teutonic Brand is in damn short supply down here in the high lonesome, so if anybody - especially with some wrenching skills, is also down here in the desert SW, let me know. I noticed with great interest that Paul and Vonnie Glaves are still alive and very well and not-too-far away in south TX -- I remember them both from the BMWON tech articles (P) and high-mileage blasting (V) from years ago.

I haven't yet plowed-through the 7,347-page instructions on how to navigate this wonderful site, so hope I've not violated any rules. I'll get to that stuff after I check out the engineering wonders of MoonBeemer, and might even figure out how to post some pictures. My aging brain doesn't do so well with Information Systems. . .

It's great to be back in the family, and we'll see some of you on the road. Don't overlook SOUTHERN NM as a riding destination -- yes, we also have mountains that are cool in the summer, and -uh- not many speed cops.

Regards,

Walking Eagle
    Tularosa, NM

'94 R1100RS - MoonBeemer
    '80 GL1100 NAKED, w/ Watsonian - Old Son
    AMA Member
    BMWOA Member
    Naked Goldwing Club Member

"We're gonna do this here trick nonchalant, or we ain't gonna do it."
    -Edna St. Vincent Millay-

Sounds like you enjoy your ride as much as I do! I will be riding through your state here in a few weeks, and I was wondering which route would be more beautiful, either the southern or northern part? I was riding into NM in early July when I got stopped by some serious storms, not what I expected there!

Welcome back to the fold, and maybe we'll meet out there on one of your scenic roads!

T
    '07 R1200R - She has 174,550 miles and counting, though I only did the last 24k!
    Still lookin' for my dream bike, a beautiful R1200C...

"It ain't braggin' if you can do it!" Dizzy Dean, '34 Gas House Gang

High in New Mexico

TexasT from Kie-leen (see, I know how to say it)

Can't go wrong, north or south, and yes, we do have some electrical weather this time of year. The LOWEST elevation in the whole state is 2,842', and it goes up from there -- a lot of high desert, and lightly traveled roads, especially in the south.

Most of the good food is up north, though -- be careful where you eat in the southern half, as really good eating - even Mexican (which I love) is hard to find.

I really appreciate it! I drove through the southern part on 10 in my '94 530i, and I heard good things about roads all through the beautiful state! When I go to northern California, I was planning on taking the northern route, and the word about the food seals the deal!

I can't wait to check out the scenery and eat some of your great cuisine!

T
    '07 R1200R - She has 174,550 miles and counting, though I only did the last 24k!
    Still lookin' for my dream bike, a beautiful R1200C...

"It ain't braggin' if you can do it!" Dizzy Dean, '34 Gas House Gang

There are a few Beemer riders here in El Paso. I'm hoping as fall gets on, I can get some time in the Sacramentos or the Gila. I'll try to give you notice when so that we can have a cup of coffee or something.

professor
    Quote Originally Posted by mrharve@tularosa.net View Post
    TexasT from Kie-leen (see, I know how to say it)

Most of the good food is up north, though -- be careful where you eat in the southern half, as really good eating - even Mexican (which I love) is hard to find.
    I respectfully disagree. My Brother's Place, Spanish Kitchen, Nopalitos and others in Las Cruces have great Mexican food unless things have changed drastically - and I admit that is possible. La Posta in Mesilla is admittedly a tourist version, but still pretty good.

But either way - north or south - the New Mexico food is better than the Tex-Mex here in the Dallas area.

Some consider it desolate, but I think the high desert is beautiful. If you like mountains, the south has Ruidoso and Cloudcroft. Less traveled, but incredible is the Black Range, Gila Wilderness and the cliff dwellings near Silver City. In the north you've got Taos, Angel Fire, the Sangre de Cristo mountains and more. In the middle is Albuquerque with the Manzano mountains and Sandia Crest. Santa Fe is just an hour north of Albuquerque. Las Vegas, NM is also a really nice area. I recommend the Plaza Hotel which was built in the 1800's, but recently restored and expanded.

New Mexico is truly the Land of Enchantment. Enjoy!!!