• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

HELP: Lost Saddlebag In Maine

tourunigo

Sad but true. My left saddlebag dismounted somewhere between Cornish, Maine-route 25- and Brooks, Maine (near Belfast). Some of 25 was like the dry heaves every four feet while the area near Belfast had a number of very rough back roads. Lost my Nikkon and some sentimental T Shirts. Maybe someone has seen it or heard about someone finding one. Mine looked like the following right side buddy:

100_2132.jpg

100_2134.jpg

100_2135.jpg

Likely I will have to just forget about it and get a new-to-me left bag. However, I will give y'all a shout first. - Bob

Bob, I fear that some day I may have the same thing happen to me. However, if it does, I do have taped on the bags' outside, on the wheel side of each, a note (protected by packing tape) explaining that I am on tour with only camping supplies and dirty laundry inside my locked case, along with my Cdn and American cell #s listed. As well, the bottom of my cases are covered with orange reflective tape in case they (or I) land upside down in a ditch, making them easier to spot. With any luck, I might receive a phone call to come and retrieve the wayward pannier.

Hope that your bag gets back to you.

Bob, I fear that some day I may have the same thing happen to me. However, if it does, I do have taped on the bags' outside, on the wheel side of each, a note (protected by packing tape) explaining that I am on tour with only camping supplies and dirty laundry inside my locked case, along with my Cdn and American cell #s listed. As well, the bottom of my cases are covered with orange reflective tape in case they (or I) land upside down in a ditch, making them easier to spot. With any luck, I might receive a phone call to come and retrieve the wayward pannier.

Hope that your bag gets back to you.

As usual Paul, some well thought out suggestions. Once I get all set up again I will be doing the same! Now, where are those old leather cruiser bags that I packed away somewhere :laugh - Bob

:wave Bob, sorry to hear of your loss. hopefully it will turn up. A friend of mine lost his wallet at the Rally while riding some of the surrounding roads. it was found by another BMW rider and returned within 20 minutes. what luck! it was great to finally meet you. too bad we were both so busy and couldn't spend more time together. oh well there will be other Rallys. Oh and how do you lose a saddle bag without knowing it??? :stick

There's always hope, Bob.

Lost and Found

agree; remember Steve's amazing recovery story from the first Salty Fog Rally? He got his side case back because it was picked up by another traveller (car) who noticed his missing sidecase while they were both at the same tourist attraction (Peggy's Cove). He had it in his trunk. Amazing yet very uncommon. - Bob

Something I wrote a few weeks ago that unfortunately will not help here but might help others in case this happens...
http://www.verrill.com/moto/rants/2010/100722rant.shtml

All the points in that article are excellent. It's funny though, in 2007 we took off on an 11,000 mile around the U.S. and I strapped the bags on. Except for that little stint around Oklahoma City, the roads were not all that bad. Oh well, lesson learned and future travels will have more thought put into security. Thanks Ted. - Bob

Bob, Have you called the police/sheriff departments in the area you lost it? They may have it. Also the Dept of Transportation may have picked it up.

Bob, Have you called the police/sheriff departments in the area you lost it? They may have it. Also the Dept of Transportation may have picked it up.

Thanks for the suggestion. police/sheriff offices contacted but not DoT. Hope one of those roadside grasscutters doesn't find it first though :banghead Once my now missing Salty Fog Rally t-shirt hits that shredder....... my Ben and Jerry's irreplacable Cherry Garcia shirt...... my Route 50 t-shirt.... I really am more sentimental than materialistic. - Bob

:wave Bob, sorry to hear of your loss. hopefully it will turn up. A friend of mine lost his wallet at the Rally while riding some of the surrounding roads. it was found by another BMW rider and returned within 20 minutes. what luck! it was great to finally meet you. too bad we were both so busy and couldn't spend more time together. oh well there will be other Rallys. Oh and how do you lose a saddle bag without knowing it??? :stick

ok then.... moa rally 2011 for sure! Loosing the case: funny how that thing can sneak off without any sound. Must be when all the sounds of thumping across bad pavement covers the 'thud'. What's really more peculiar is not noticing it when gasing up unless you are intentionally scanning all parts. Should do that anyway I suppose..... I will in the future! Catch ya in the future. - Bob

Don't give up hope. I just think that somehow this will turn out OK for you and that you will get it all back. :thumb

Back