Thread: Spectro semi syn q?

P Monk

Spectro semi syn q?

Ok to use in a R90/6 with new pistons, rebuilt heads, and all seals and gaskets replaced?

Would the first oil change on rebuild at 600 miles be too soon?
    P. Monk
    74 R90/6 (the Black Hole), 2011 R1200RT.

Common wisdom is to use non-synthetic for 'new' engines to let the rings bed in -- at least on older engines. Most of what I have read indicates that bedding in happens very quickly, at least in the first hundred miles.

I broke my last three new engines medium hard -- medium heavy loads, i.e., lots of throttle at midrange revs very early in the engine's lives (within 10-20 miles). None of them ('06 WRX, '06 FZ1, '08 Speed Triple) uses a drop of oil and the S3 has a reputation for using a lot.
    '61 Clubman's Gold Star, '13 690 Duke, '13 Daytona 675R, '17 1290 GT, '18 Street Triple RS (gone but not forgotten: '76 R75/6, '84 R100, '76 R90S)

The way I understand it is to never break in a new rebuild with synthetic.

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/oilessay.htm

Snowbum's article will explian it
    Attitude is everything!

08' V-Strom 650 great light weight tourer

i'd go with something good, but dino. Castrol GTX 20W50 would be my first choice. Drain at ~100, then again at ~600. You'll be amazed at how shiny sparkly metal flaky the oil is at those 1st 2 oil changes. After that you can go to semi-synth if you like.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Quote Originally Posted by therealbatman View Post
    The way I understand it is to never break in a new rebuild with synthetic.

Snowbum's article will explian it
    Snowbum says not to use a "full" synthetic. The poster wonder about a semi-synthetic. Mr. Bum is enamored of Spectro's Golden Spetro semi synthetic for use as an engine oil, however.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    The poster wonder about a semi-synthetic.
    I'd look at it as "why spend the extra money on semi-synth when you'll be dumping it out within a few hundred miles?"
    One of the great advantages to synths is their resistance to thermal breakdown over extended time, allowing longer change intervals. Unless you're living in EBF, Idaho, i''d say its worth the trip to the AutoZone or WallyWorld to get the regular stuff.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

don't use synthetic (or semi) for a break in.....period. If you must, I'd run a few thousand miles before running the stuff

Your changing oil every 3,000 miles, your bike has a filter, why run synthetic (or semi)?????

If your upping you millage between changes yes, btw your bike might start leaking with synthetic.
    Last edited by 04R1150RS; 08-05-2010 at 04:47 PM.
    Richard
    2004 R1150RS
    1984 R80 G/S
    2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S

Quote Originally Posted by 04R1150RS View Post
    Your changing oil every 3,000 miles, your bike has a filter, why run synthetic?????
    OK, let's be nice here, OK? There are pros and cons for running dino and synth...nobody has every really convinced anyone one way or the other. Plenty has already been said about this.

But there may be a legitimate reason for not using a synthetic product during the critical phase of break-in. After that, it's a highly personal choice.

mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    OK, let's be nice here, OK? There are pros and cons for running dino and synth...nobody has every really convinced anyone one way or the other. Plenty has already been said about this.

But there may be a legitimate reason for not using a synthetic product during the critical phase of break-in. After that, it's a highly personal choice.

actually, i think it was a valid question, if viewed as such.
    if you are changing oil every 3K, what advantage would be realized by running synth?
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

C'mon on folks...summer is for riding, oil and tire/tyre threads are for the dead of winter.
    Attitude is everything!

08' V-Strom 650 great light weight tourer

Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    what advantage would be realized by running synth?
    Well, pour temperature (it might be better in colder weather), might stick to the metal better between uses... There are probably others...I'm a dino person so I haven't really followed all of the issues.

I use the Spectro semi-synth

in my GSPD, and is seems to run cooler. Of course , i have no proof of that.
    Enjoying the ride, but always on the alert for a rally.......

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by 04R1150RS View Post
    don't use synthetic for a break in.....period. If you must, I'd run a few thousand miles before running the stuff

Your changing oil every 3,000 miles, your bike has a filter, why run synthetic?????

If your upping you millage between changes yes, btw your bike might start leaking with synthetic.
    Synthetic leaks from my airhead and doesn't with dino. I change oil because it gets dirty. I don't think dirt knows what kind of oil it is in so I am not a fan of extended oil changes with synthetic. I use Motorcraft synthetic blend in my 4-wheelers only because it is cheaper than dino.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

I use a synthetic blend (Spectro) in mine, as I've been told (including at one of the tech sessions at the MOA rally this year) that it is less susceptible to heat related breakdown than dino... but I live in Houston where heat and stop & go traffic are the norm.
    Jim
    '78 R80/7 and '84 R100RS (Blues Brothers), '86 K75C (Icy Hot)
    '90 and '93 Mazda Miatas (Jelly Bean and Red Hot), '97 Nissan XE PU (Mighty Mouse)
    '96 Giant Upland (big Kendas, baby!)

Why take a chance with a semisynth for a purpose which is largely cutting fluid?