• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

MOA Rally: mid-summer or fall? Take a Poll

My window temp says 100 and you will note it is 9:43 a.m.! & that is combined with humidity near 100%!!! In a tent , in the sun-no way! On the other hand it was high 40's and low 50's @ Pownal,VT RA Rally in the morning. WOW! Way to go RA! For a summer rally that is the location issue solved,end of story...
My vote goes to either location logic(as shown) or spring for me. We go to football games in the fall and will not attend a rally then.

Spring and fall are the times of year when I try to plan my motorcycle trips, so those times would be good for a rally for me.

Summer is the hardest time for me to get time off typically, mostly because its the same time everyone else at work is trying to get time off. I even prefer June and September holidays anyway since it is usually not so busy everywhere you go. I don't have kids to worry about school schedules for, so summer is not my top time choice other than for weather. Unlike the southern locales, our best, most reliable riding weather is in the summer months.

After a 7,000 mile round trip from Pa to Redmond I would welcome a fall rally any time. Would rather put on a heated jacket to ride somewhere than ever have to suffer with the 115 degree temps I put up with almost half my trip this year. The bike was hot I was struggling to stay hydrated etc. Every time I get a great fall ride in somewhere or go over a mountain pass my spirits come up. These Desert rallies are a thing of the past for me. I stayed in Redmond one night then went to the coast where I enjoyed the next couple of days rather than broiling in the heat of the Rally. Welcome to Pa next year hopefully we can show everyone some great riding weather.

:thumb. Looks like I really opened up a can of worms! I wonder if the "Powers That Be" at MOA Hdqrs will notice this thread? I'm forwarding a link of this thread to the editor at MOA and hope they take notice. I'd like to see a poll taken of the members to have them vote on some of the options discussed here.

I think that's why the "Powers That Be" started organizing regional events, as an option for those who couldn't attend the Big Event. :brad
There are also great regional rallies around the country to choose from....2 of the bigger events are the Chicken Rally (AL) in late Spring and Finger Lakes (NY) late summer, and as Visian stated.....the GA Mtn Rally (they need the $$$ :wave

Rest assured that the Board is reading this thread.

Decisions like this are always based on what the members want. To determine what those preferences are, we conduct surveys. in 2009, we conducted three different surveys. Ray is actually discussing the results of those surveys in columns in the BMW Owners News. However, this specific question was not asked in 2009.

As far as I can remember, this question was asked in 2004.
The response (AGAIN - from what I recall) was:
1) Prefer weekend rallies
2) No more split venue rallies
3) Prefer summer rallies​

In addition, in the mid-1990's, the BMW MOA did have a rally in Texas in June. (Fredericksburg) The results were a low attendance (Somewhere in the 4000 range, IIRC) Was the low attendance because of the perception that Texas is always hot? Was it because there had been record rainfalls leading up to the rally and people were put-off by that? Was it because it was a month earlier than normal? :dunno

Anyway - this is good dialogue.

I wonder if anyone reading this feels that the regional events are good alternatives to the national rallies? Do you believe we need to change the national rallies as long as we are offering the regional events?

Thanks for your thoughtful input. Yes, we are listening.

Want a September Rally - in Vermont? the Green Mountain Rally is a good one http://vtbmwmov.org

You know, the days are shorter in the spring and fall - and there are hoofed rats out there around dusk in the fall. Some people thought it cold in Redmond, others hot. Some people thought it cold in Pownal, some thought it great sleeping weather.

Another thing about keeping the date the same time in July, we're not "stomping" on club events. Many clubs have set dates for their annual rallies.

It's really not simple. I, too, prefer to travel in the fall - spring? You can run into some nasty storms, including tornados, in the south and midwest. Many potential rally sites have fall fairs that would conflict (July is before the fair season). There is no perfect answer.

So, one "power that be" noticed this thread ;-) Keep the ideas coming.

One think I'm always puzzled about - no shade. Many people bring their own shade' I don't, but I'm never in my tent during the hot parts of the day - and especially in the high desert, it gets cool at night. Do others take afternoon naps? Sleep late?

Best,
Muriel

Mid-July works well for me...

Mid-July works well for me, and I'm a guy who doesn't like the heat!

Lots of folks have other things going on in the spring and fall- kids in school, graduations, hunting/fishing plans, rec sports leagues, etc. It seems to me that in the middle of summer there's a kind of lull in the activity for most hobbyists, plus it's most likely better for those who chose to have children.

If you go too early in the spring, or too late in the fall, weather becomes a big issue for a lot of folks in the northland. Not just unpleasant, but possibly dangerous and/or unrideable for folks to the north of me. At least in mid-July, we're all hot and sweaty together!:hungover

I think local club rallies and the regional events do a good job of picking up the slack for most of the year. I look at the MOA and RA rally listings, and there's something within a day or two's ride of me nearly every weekend, from about April through October.

For me personally, the fall is pretty much not an option due to work. The WI Dells Rally (mid-September) is usually the last event of the year that I'm able to attend, though this year it looks like I might finally be able to make the Falling Leaf Rally!:dance

I realize that folks aren't advocating for the National to be a different month every year, but I like to "know" that mid-July is the National. There might also be other issues at stake besides our individual preferences- i.e. vendor availability, venue availability, etc.

Good discussion, but I vote for keeping it the way it is. :thumb

This year many people have complained about Americade ( first week of June) being too cold/rainy and don't understand why it can't be held later in the year when the weather is nicer.
Unfortunately I feel that the weather is just to unpredictable in the spring and fall. Severe thunderstorms in spring , tropical depressions/hurricanes in the fall.
Also I'm seeing a somewhat younger crowed showing up, people who would have children in school and people who get a chance to ride with their son's or daughters. You would be writing off these attendees if you had the rally at any other time of the year but summer.

I agree that mid summer lately has been bad. How about something in the mountains. Estes Park, for example. It is cool up there mostly, and great riding.

Heat? Come to Louisiana. We will show you heat !

Rest assured that the Board is reading this thread.

Decisions like this are always based on what the members want. To determine what those preferences are, we conduct surveys. in 2009, we conducted three different surveys. Ray is actually discussing the results of those surveys in columns in the BMW Owners News. However, this specific question was not asked in 2009.

As far as I can remember, this question was asked in 2004.
The response (AGAIN - from what I recall) was:
1) Prefer weekend rallies
2) No more split venue rallies
3) Prefer summer rallies​

In addition, in the mid-1990's, the BMW MOA did have a rally in Texas in June. (Fredericksburg) The results were a low attendance (Somewhere in the 4000 range, IIRC) Was the low attendance because of the perception that Texas is always hot? Was it because there had been record rainfalls leading up to the rally and people were put-off by that? Was it because it was a month earlier than normal? :dunno

Anyway - this is good dialogue.

I wonder if anyone reading this feels that the regional events are good alternatives to the national rallies? Do you believe we need to change the national rallies as long as we are offering the regional events?

Thanks for your thoughtful input. Yes, we are listening.

Though I am but one small voice among many, let me add a few comments to your post.

First, I speak for myself and a number of other members I have conversed with that the openess and 'transparency' of the MOA seems much improved - the impression that the BoD is listening to us is palpable and very real (and much appreciated).

That being said, I only wish to add that while regional rallies are fun and I think an essential thread in the fabric of what cloaks the MOA, nothing can take the place of the excitement, commarderie and anticipation of "The National."

And as for my little straw vote, I would like to see a mid-September national rally at least tried (I know - contracts for 2011, and possibly 2012 already inked), to evaluate its potential.

See you on the road! :german

Last edited:
.....Decisions like this are always based on what the members want. To determine what those preferences are, we conduct surveys.....

And this is how it should be, I can't remember how the survey was worded though. My points are just this;
If say 70% choose July as the best month for them to attend, this means the rally will be held in July 100% of the time? If 65% choose the East as the best location for them to attend a rally, would the rallies never be anywhere in the west? Anyway, glad I'm not on the rally committee catching all this flack! :D

Wow! This is sure an active discussion. While I would prefer the rally to be in the fall, I will continue to attend wherever it is held. I do not think having a discussion about the pros and cons of change is whining about the existing situation. Everyone who has posted so far has not IMHO been complaining. This is a discussion about change based on personal preferences and actual facts about weather conditions, other rallys and other commitments which already exist. The small regional rallys are great, however the national is where it's at and usually where the vendors turn out in good numbers. So let's keep posting and see what happens.

Rally selection: Location and Seasonal timing go together

I'll jump in again. When I first posed the idea of a Fall rally I didn't mean to imply that the rally always had to be in the fall. Rather that location and timing be concidered together when planning the National. Sure, mid-July is a fine time of year for the rally if it's in say, the Upper Peninsula, Maine, The Rockies or here in the Adirondacks. But a mid-July rally in Houston, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Columbia or Memphis wouldn't be such a hot idea(excuse the pun:p). What I'm suggesting is that MOA keep a flexable view of the rally, and match up the location with the season. You want to have a rally in Jackson , MS? How about the middle of October? Or Savanah, GA? Sure, How's mid-May sound? Birmingham, Alabama? April. Estes Park, Colorado? July. Anyway you get the idea. As for the hesitation of "stepping on the toes" of other Regional rallies by moving the dates of the National.....well, it's the National, and I would think it would get first priority. Just my 2 cents worth:usa

like the fall

I probably shouldn't be voicing an opinion since I have yet to attend my first national. Mainly because I think the size might be overwhelming for me. Coupled with the heat, being packed in with all the people doesn't sound fun. I don't like the heat but would attend if the area was in the mountains or on the coast. We were in the same general area as this year's rally but stuck to the coast where it was cooler.
I would vote for a September or May rally because of the temps but also prices tend to be lower for motels, and gas. Roads, national parks aren't as crowded as well.
The only drawback I see is some areas close down mid-September, Glacier Park for example. I think alternating different months is a good idea.

So here's more of my two cents for whatever that's worth. ALL successfully rallies and for that matter other events are held at specific times of the year. The GWRRA's Wing Ding, Sturges, Dayton Bikeweek, Americade, and others are held at the same time each year. It takes a large amount of money to stage an event such as the MOA national and as a member of this club and a vendor who participates in this rally I have a keen interest on the success of it. One poorly attended national could create financial havoc on this club.
Talk to any promoter and the first thing that they'll tell you is to keep the time of year the same for an event that's stage once a year.
Make no mistake about it, a rally of this size is just as much a business venture as anything else.

Once school starts many of us that have kids to care for.
I think moving the rally to the fall would result in a retiree rally.
Hopefully that is not the direction of the club.

I hardly saw any kids at this years rally so who ever was watching them this year can watch them during a fall rally and all they have to do is ship them off to school and handle them after school v/s all day.:dunno

Okay, so there are valid reasons on both sides of the debate. I've been to one National (TN last year) and found it a bit overwhelming but also a great place to see a lot of stuff in one visit. ("Honey, my shocks are shot and I absolutely NEED those bright yellow replacements or I'll never manage to make it home again!")

I like the feel of the regionals better, but they lack the vendors and variety of seminars. Maybe the two concepts could be blended with the National staying as is, but the MOA promoting regional super-rallies in spring and fall on a rotating basis. I'm having difficulty explaining the concept, but imagine the July National in Colorado and two regionals singled out (say Spring in Georgia and Fall in Maine) for an enhanced MOA and vendor presence. The regionals would vary from year to year.

Ah, shucks. I'll need a beer in order to make sense out of this!

Pete

Back